I saw an oddity with firefox

Duncan Patton a Campbell
I started firefox on a remote xhost and it somehow
came up as a local instance (thru X?) with bookmarks
from a local client account... the remote account
was newly instanced and this was the first and
*only* time I've seen it happen.  But it did.

Dhu

Ne obliviscaris, vix ea nostra voco.

Re: I saw an oddity with firefox

Jorge Gabriel Lopez Paramount
> I started firefox on a remote xhost and it somehow
> came up as a local instance (thru X?) with bookmarks
> from a local client account... the remote account
> was newly instanced and this was the first and
> *only* time I've seen it happen.  But it did.

That's a feature, not a bug.    =)

When you start Firefox it somehow can figure out how to run locally
instead of remotely, if you need to run the remote Firefox you have to
use the -no-remote flag.

Best regards,
Jorge.

Re: I saw an oddity with firefox

Duncan Patton a Campbell
On Wed, 26 Nov 2014 09:12:55 -0600
Jorge Gabriel Lopez Paramount <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > I started firefox on a remote xhost and it somehow
> > came up as a local instance (thru X?) with bookmarks
> > from a local client account... the remote account
> > was newly instanced and this was the first and
> > *only* time I've seen it happen.  But it did.
>
> That's a feature, not a bug.    =)
>
> When you start Firefox it somehow can figure out how to run locally
> instead of remotely, if you need to run the remote Firefox you have to
> use the -no-remote flag.
>
> Best regards,
> Jorge.

-new-instance doesn't do what it sez (no new task instance)
but -no-remote does prevent a remote instance from assuming
the local interface.   hmmm.  This sounds like badly translated
WinDos semantics.

Dhu

Ne obliviscaris, vix ea nostra voco.

Re: I saw an oddity with firefox

Jason Adams
On 11/26/2014 07:12 AM, Jorge Gabriel Lopez Paramount wrote:

>> I started firefox on a remote xhost and it somehow
>> came up as a local instance (thru X?) with bookmarks
>> from a local client account... the remote account
>> was newly instanced and this was the first and
>> *only* time I've seen it happen.  But it did.
>
> That's a feature, not a bug.    =)
>
> When you start Firefox it somehow can figure out how to run locally instead of remotely, if you
> need to run the remote Firefox you have to use the -no-remote flag.
>
> Best regards,
> Jorge.

Feature or bug, it just sounds wrong and potentially dangerous to me.
Are we sure the Firefox Sync feature wasn't in play here?

(This does not appear to happen with an ssh connection).

Re: I saw an oddity with firefox

Peter Hessler
On 2014 Nov 26 (Wed) at 15:01:56 -0800 (-0800), Jason Adams wrote:
:On 11/26/2014 07:12 AM, Jorge Gabriel Lopez Paramount wrote:
:>> I started firefox on a remote xhost and it somehow
:>> came up as a local instance (thru X?) with bookmarks
:>> from a local client account... the remote account
:>> was newly instanced and this was the first and
:>> *only* time I've seen it happen.  But it did.
:>
:> That's a feature, not a bug.    =)
:>
:> When you start Firefox it somehow can figure out how to run locally instead of remotely, if you
:> need to run the remote Firefox you have to use the -no-remote flag.
:>
:> Best regards,
:> Jorge.
:>
:> ----------------------------------------------------------------
:> This message was sent using IMP, the Internet Messaging Program.
:>
:
:Feature or bug, it just sounds wrong and potentially dangerous to me.
:Are we sure the Firefox Sync feature wasn't in play here?
:
:(This does not appear to happen with an ssh connection).
:
:
:--
:Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly.
:

This feature has been around for a long time, longer than Firefox Sync
has.  Additionally, I've seen it even though I have never used Firefox
Sync.

--
How do I love thee?  My accumulator overflows.