Huawei EM770W mobile modem

Baurzhan Muftakhidinov
Hi all!

I own a Acer Aspire ao532H netbook, and it has
a Huawei EM770W mobile wcdma modem built-in.
I think its internally connected via USB. Checked with usbdevs command.

This modem does not work in stock OpenBSD 5.0 since its product ID is not
listed in /sys/dev/usb/usbdevs, but this modem is supported
by umsm driver (see below).

Vendor is Huawei (0x12d1), product ID is (0x1404).
I've added this is to usbdevs file, run make all in /sys/dev/usb
ant this ID added to usbdevs.h.  I also added product ID
to umsm.c, recompiled and booted new kernel and
this modem worked just fine.

The modem do not work with DEV_HUAWEI as umsm_flag (see /sys/dev/usb/umsm.c)
but work with DEV_UMASS5 or 0 as umsm_flag.
So here are my questions:

1) Maybe someone else also have this modem and can test it;
2) How to test which value of umsm_flag is correct (DEV_UMASS5 or 0), and
what it affects to;
3) Since modem is working, who to ask to add it to umsm driver, should
I fill bugreport or something?

Re: Huawei EM770W mobile modem

cosmo@tetrachina.com
Baurzhan Muftakhidinov
     Since it 's checked with usbdevs . so i think it worked .maybe you could check more log about the driver
dmesg or /var/log/message like this:

umsm0 at uhub0 port 3 configuration 1 interface 0 "Huawei Technologies HUAWEI Mobile" rev 2.00/0.00 addr 2
umsm1 at uhub0 port 3 configuration 1 interface 1 "Huawei Technologies HUAWEI Mobile" rev 2.00/0.00 addr 2
umsm0 at uhub0 port 3 configuration 1 interface 0 "Huawei Technologies HUAWEI Mobile" rev 2.00/0.00 addr 2
ucom0 at umsm0
umsm1 at uhub0 port 3 configuration 1 interface 1 "Huawei Technologies HUAWEI Mobile" rev 2.00/0.00 addr 2
ucom1 at umsm1
umsm2 at uhub0 port 3 configuration 1 interface 2 "Huawei Technologies HUAWEI Mobile" rev 2.00/0.00 addr 2
ucom2 at umsm2
umsm3 at uhub0 port 3 configuration 1 interface 3 "Huawei Technologies HUAWEI Mobile" rev 2.00/0.00 addr 2
ucom3 at umsm3
umsm4 at uhub0 port 3 configuration 1 interface 4 "Huawei Technologies HUAWEI Mobile" rev 2.00/0.00 addr 2
umsm5 at uhub0 port 3 configuration 1 interface 5 "Huawei Technologies HUAWEI Mobile" rev 2.00/0.00 addr 2

the driver is built-in : man umsm

and you should put a SIM Card into the device .and try to dial up into the Internet with ppp.

the measure works for my USB Huawei mobile wcdma modem.

>Hi all!
>
>I own a Acer Aspire ao532H netbook, and it has
>a Huawei EM770W mobile wcdma modem built-in.
>I think its internally connected via USB. Checked with usbdevs command.
>
>This modem does not work in stock OpenBSD 5.0 since its product ID is not
>listed in /sys/dev/usb/usbdevs, but this modem is supported
>by umsm driver (see below).
>
>Vendor is Huawei (0x12d1), product ID is (0x1404).
>I've added this is to usbdevs file, run make all in /sys/dev/usb
>ant this ID added to usbdevs.h.  I also added product ID
>to umsm.c, recompiled and booted new kernel and
>this modem worked just fine.
>
>The modem do not work with DEV_HUAWEI as umsm_flag (see /sys/dev/usb/umsm.c)
>but work with DEV_UMASS5 or 0 as umsm_flag.
>So here are my questions:
>
>1) Maybe someone else also have this modem and can test it;
>2) How to test which value of umsm_flag is correct (DEV_UMASS5 or 0), and
>what it affects to;
>3) Since modem is working, who to ask to add it to umsm driver, should
>I fill bugreport or something?

Re: Huawei EM770W mobile modem

Jonathan Gray
On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 09:27:32AM +0600, Baurzhan Muftakhidinov wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> I own a Acer Aspire ao532H netbook, and it has
> a Huawei EM770W mobile wcdma modem built-in.
> I think its internally connected via USB. Checked with usbdevs command.
>
> This modem does not work in stock OpenBSD 5.0 since its product ID is not
> listed in /sys/dev/usb/usbdevs, but this modem is supported
> by umsm driver (see below).
>
> Vendor is Huawei (0x12d1), product ID is (0x1404).
> I've added this is to usbdevs file, run make all in /sys/dev/usb
> ant this ID added to usbdevs.h.  I also added product ID
> to umsm.c, recompiled and booted new kernel and
> this modem worked just fine.
>
> The modem do not work with DEV_HUAWEI as umsm_flag (see /sys/dev/usb/umsm.c)
> but work with DEV_UMASS5 or 0 as umsm_flag.
> So here are my questions:
>
> 1) Maybe someone else also have this modem and can test it;
> 2) How to test which value of umsm_flag is correct (DEV_UMASS5 or 0), and
> what it affects to;

If it works it is correct, the flags exist to change the mode
of devices that come up as storage devices initially.

I've added it to umsm, thanks for the report.

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 12:16 PM, Jonathan Gray <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 09:27:32AM +0600, Baurzhan Muftakhidinov wrote:
>> Hi all!
>>
>> I own a Acer Aspire ao532H netbook, and it has
>> a Huawei EM770W mobile wcdma modem built-in.
>> I think its internally connected via USB. Checked with usbdevs command.
>>
>> This modem does not work in stock OpenBSD 5.0 since its product ID is not
>> listed in /sys/dev/usb/usbdevs, but this modem is supported
>> by umsm driver (see below).
>>
>> Vendor is Huawei (0x12d1), product ID is (0x1404).
>> I've added this is to usbdevs file, run make all in /sys/dev/usb
>> ant this ID added to usbdevs.h. B I also added product ID
>> to umsm.c, recompiled and booted new kernel and
>> this modem worked just fine.
>>
>> The modem do not work with DEV_HUAWEI as umsm_flag (see
/sys/dev/usb/umsm.c)

>> but work with DEV_UMASS5 or 0 as umsm_flag.
>> So here are my questions:
>>
>> 1) Maybe someone else also have this modem and can test it;
>> 2) How to test which value of umsm_flag is correct (DEV_UMASS5 or 0), and
>> what it affects to;
>
> If it works it is correct, the flags exist to change the mode
> of devices that come up as storage devices initially.
>
>> 3) Since modem is working, who to ask to add it to umsm driver, should
>> I fill bugreport or something?
>
> I've added it to umsm, thanks for the report.

Thank you!