Huawei E355 and OBSD as SMS gateway

Tito Mari Francis Escano-2
Hello everyone,
I researched online for using Huawei E355 with OpenBSD as a means to create
an SMS gateway, however I did not find any reliable resource on this.
Can somebody also please point me to the proper direction how OBSD can be
used as an SMS gateway? I have seen many references only for Linux-based
systems.
Hope you could help me. With gratitude, thank you very much.

Re: Huawei E355 and OBSD as SMS gateway

David Coppa
On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 2:29 PM, Tito Mari Francis Escaño
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
> I researched online for using Huawei E355 with OpenBSD as a means to create
> an SMS gateway, however I did not find any reliable resource on this.
> Can somebody also please point me to the proper direction how OBSD can be
> used as an SMS gateway? I have seen many references only for Linux-based
> systems.
> Hope you could help me. With gratitude, thank you very much.

Does this device attach as umsm? i.e. do you have an ucom* at umsm in
your dmesg?
If so, you can use SMS Server Tools, just "pkg_add smstools3".
See: http://smstools3.kekekasvi.com/index.php?p=configure
On OpenBSD the device is usually /dev/cuaUX, where X is 0, 1, or 2,
you need to find it, as it changes from device to device...

ciao,
David

Re: Huawei E355 and OBSD as SMS gateway

Mikkel C. Simonsen
Tito Mari Francis Escaño wrote:
> Hello everyone,
> I researched online for using Huawei E355 with OpenBSD as a means to create
> an SMS gateway, however I did not find any reliable resource on this.
> Can somebody also please point me to the proper direction how OBSD can be
> used as an SMS gateway? I have seen many references only for Linux-based
> systems.
> Hope you could help me. With gratitude, thank you very much.

If the Huawei E355 attaches as a modem, you can probably just use
standard AT commands to send SMSs. Otherwise a lot of modems do exist
that work fine for this. The ones I have used, use a standard RS-232
interface.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Re: Huawei E355 and OBSD as SMS gateway

Kirill Bychkov
On Fri, January 24, 2014 17:38, David Coppa wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 2:29 PM, Tito Mari Francis Esca?o
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>> I researched online for using Huawei E355 with OpenBSD as a means to create
>> an SMS gateway, however I did not find any reliable resource on this.
>> Can somebody also please point me to the proper direction how OBSD can be
>> used as an SMS gateway? I have seen many references only for Linux-based
>> systems.
>> Hope you could help me. With gratitude, thank you very much.
>
> Does this device attach as umsm? i.e. do you have an ucom* at umsm in
> your dmesg?
> If so, you can use SMS Server Tools, just "pkg_add smstools3".
> See: http://smstools3.kekekasvi.com/index.php?p=configure
> On OpenBSD the device is usually /dev/cuaUX, where X is 0, 1, or 2,
> you need to find it, as it changes from device to device...

You can probe it with 'cu -s 9600 -l /dev/cuaUX' and send 'AT'. The port you
need should answer you 'OK'