How to split install.wim

Predrag Punosevac-2
Hi All,

I am using my desktop

predrag@oko$ uname -a
OpenBSD oko.int.bagdala2.net 6.7 GENERIC.MP#5 amd64

to create a bootable Windows 10 USB flash drive. It is a paid job
although I would not be surprised that my consent to do it, is
consistent with the early signs of dementia. I just wasted a few hours
of my life to find out that install.wim is too large to be written on
Fat32 file system as described in this article

https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-installer-files-too-big-for-usb-flash-drive-heres-the-fix/

I need to split it in two before I can write it to a bootable USB.  Has
anybody done this on an OpenBSD machine? It seems that the library for
manipulation of Windows Imaging exists

https://wimlib.net/

but I can't find anything in the ports tree.

https://openports.pl/

And just for the curios you will not be able to mount Windows ISO image
using mount_udf

This thread is right on money

https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=139271029815043&w=2

You will have to use

7z e Win10_2004_English_x64.iso

command to extract the files from the iso image provided by Microsoft.

Best,
Predrag

Re: How to split install.wim

Aaron Mason
On Wed, Sep 2, 2020 at 3:35 PM Predrag Punosevac <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am using my desktop
>
> predrag@oko$ uname -a
> OpenBSD oko.int.bagdala2.net 6.7 GENERIC.MP#5 amd64
>
> to create a bootable Windows 10 USB flash drive. It is a paid job
> although I would not be surprised that my consent to do it, is
> consistent with the early signs of dementia. I just wasted a few hours
> of my life to find out that install.wim is too large to be written on
> Fat32 file system as described in this article
>
> https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-installer-files-too-big-for-usb-flash-drive-heres-the-fix/
>
> I need to split it in two before I can write it to a bootable USB.  Has
> anybody done this on an OpenBSD machine? It seems that the library for
> manipulation of Windows Imaging exists
>
> https://wimlib.net/
>
> but I can't find anything in the ports tree.
>
> https://openports.pl/
>
> And just for the curios you will not be able to mount Windows ISO image
> using mount_udf
>
> This thread is right on money
>
> https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=139271029815043&w=2
>
> You will have to use
>
> 7z e Win10_2004_English_x64.iso
>
> command to extract the files from the iso image provided by Microsoft.
>
> Best,
> Predrag

You would be better to use NTFS than muck around with splitting the
installer file.  Pretty sure it needs to be NTFS to boot anyway, at
least for non-UEFI machines.

--
Aaron Mason - Programmer, open source addict
I've taken my software vows - for beta or for worse

Re: How to split install.wim

Peter Nicolai Mathias Hansteen

> 2. sep. 2020 kl. 07:33 skrev Predrag Punosevac <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hi All,
>
> I am using my desktop
>
> predrag@oko$ uname -a
> OpenBSD oko.int.bagdala2.net 6.7 GENERIC.MP#5 amd64
>
> to create a bootable Windows 10 USB flash drive. It is a paid job
> although I would not be surprised that my consent to do it, is
> consistent with the early signs of dementia. I just wasted a few hours
> of my life to find out that install.wim is too large to be written on
> Fat32 file system as described in this article
>
> https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-installer-files-too-big-for-usb-flash-drive-heres-the-fix/
Urgh. I’s probably due to the lack of a useful dd analogue that they make users jump through hoops like that.

Otherwise my initial reaction before reading the article was ‘just use dd’, but that would be totally foreign territory to most Windows admins most likely.

But I agree with Aaron that the other workaround would be to format the USB drive as NTFS to start with, that would not be subject to the 4GB file size restriction. Just how good the NTFS support is in OpenBSD I have no personal experience with, though.

All the best,

Re: How to split install.wim

Greg Thomas-2
I believe NTFS is read only on *BSD.

On Tue, Sep 1, 2020 at 11:44 PM Peter Nicolai Mathias Hansteen <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> > 2. sep. 2020 kl. 07:33 skrev Predrag Punosevac <[hidden email]>:
> >
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I am using my desktop
> >
> > predrag@oko$ uname -a
> > OpenBSD oko.int.bagdala2.net 6.7 GENERIC.MP#5 amd64
> >
> > to create a bootable Windows 10 USB flash drive. It is a paid job
> > although I would not be surprised that my consent to do it, is
> > consistent with the early signs of dementia. I just wasted a few hours
> > of my life to find out that install.wim is too large to be written on
> > Fat32 file system as described in this article
> >

> https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-installer-files-too-big-for-usb-flash-drive-heres-the-fix/
>
> Urgh. I’s probably due to the lack of a useful dd analogue that they make
> users jump through hoops like that.
>
> Otherwise my initial reaction before reading the article was ‘just use
> dd’, but that would be totally foreign territory to most Windows admins
> most likely.
>
> But I agree with Aaron that the other workaround would be to format the
> USB drive as NTFS to start with, that would not be subject to the 4GB file
> size restriction. Just how good the NTFS support is in OpenBSD I have no
> personal experience with, though.
>
> All the best,
>
> —
> Peter N. M. Hansteen, member of the first RFC 1149 implementation team
> http://bsdly.blogspot.com/ http://www.bsdly.net/ http://www.nuug.no/
> "Remember to set the evil bit on all malicious network traffic"
> delilah spamd[29949]: 85.152.224.147: disconnected after 42673 seconds.

Re: How to split install.wim

Martijn van Duren-6
There's ntfs_3g in ports.
But never had a use for it, so no clue how well it functions.

On Wed, 2020-09-02 at 01:49 -0700, Greg Thomas wrote:

> I believe NTFS is read only on *BSD.
>
> On Tue, Sep 1, 2020 at 11:44 PM Peter Nicolai Mathias Hansteen <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>

> > > 2. sep. 2020 kl. 07:33 skrev Predrag Punosevac <[hidden email]>:
> > >
> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > > I am using my desktop
> > >
> > > predrag@oko$ uname -a
> > > OpenBSD oko.int.bagdala2.net 6.7 GENERIC.MP#5 amd64
> > >
> > > to create a bootable Windows 10 USB flash drive. It is a paid job
> > > although I would not be surprised that my consent to do it, is
> > > consistent with the early signs of dementia. I just wasted a few hours
> > > of my life to find out that install.wim is too large to be written on
> > > Fat32 file system as described in this article
> > >

> > https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-installer-files-too-big-for-usb-flash-drive-heres-the-fix/
> >
> > Urgh. I’s probably due to the lack of a useful dd analogue that they make
> > users jump through hoops like that.
> >
> > Otherwise my initial reaction before reading the article was ‘just use
> > dd’, but that would be totally foreign territory to most Windows admins
> > most likely.
> >
> > But I agree with Aaron that the other workaround would be to format the
> > USB drive as NTFS to start with, that would not be subject to the 4GB file
> > size restriction. Just how good the NTFS support is in OpenBSD I have no
> > personal experience with, though.
> >
> > All the best,
> >
> > —
> > Peter N. M. Hansteen, member of the first RFC 1149 implementation team
> > http://bsdly.blogspot.com/ http://www.bsdly.net/ http://www.nuug.no/
> > "Remember to set the evil bit on all malicious network traffic"
> > delilah spamd[29949]: 85.152.224.147: disconnected after 42673 seconds.

Re: How to split install.wim

Aaron Mason
On Wed, Sep 2, 2020 at 4:44 PM Peter Nicolai Mathias Hansteen
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Urgh. I’s probably due to the lack of a useful dd analogue that they make users jump through hoops like that.
>
> Otherwise my initial reaction before reading the article was ‘just use dd’, but that would be totally foreign territory to most Windows admins most likely.

Sadly, this very sensible approach didn't occur to Microshaft, either.
As a consequence, the ISO isn't a hybrid one - "burning" the ISO to a
USB stick doesn't work.