How to make the cwm window manager reread new config

How to make the cwm window manager reread new config

Максим
Hello,
May be a silly question,
how can I make the cwm window manager reread its config file
without loosing my working session?
Maksim

Re: How to make the cwm window manager reread new config

Antoine Jacoutot-7
On Sat, Sep 15, 2018 at 08:41:52PM +0300, Родин Максим wrote:
> Hello,
> May be a silly question,
> how can I make the cwm window manager reread its config file
> without loosing my working session?

From cwmrc(5):
BIND FUNCTION LIST
     restart                  Restart the running cwm(1).

And from cwm(1):
     cwm rereads its configuration file when it receives a hangup signal,
     SIGHUP, by executing itself with the name and arguments with which it was
     started.  This is equivalent to the restart function.

Antoine

Re: How to make the cwm window manager reread new config

Erling Westenvik-2
On Sat, Sep 15, 2018 at 08:38:25PM +0200, Antoine Jacoutot wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 15, 2018 at 08:41:52PM +0300, Родин Максим wrote:
> > Hello,
> > May be a silly question,
> > how can I make the cwm window manager reread its config file
> > without loosing my working session?
>
> From cwmrc(5):
> BIND FUNCTION LIST
>      restart                  Restart the running cwm(1).
>
> And from cwm(1):
>      cwm rereads its configuration file when it receives a hangup signal,
>      SIGHUP, by executing itself with the name and arguments with which it was
>      started.  This is equivalent to the restart function.

..which in default config is bound to CMS-r. Pressing
Control-Meta-Shift-r rereads config and redraw windows.

Erling

Re: How to make the cwm window manager reread new config

Максим
Thank you very much, it works.
I always thought this would restart my whole session and I would loose
all my open windows.

15.09.2018 21:38, Antoine Jacoutot пишет:

> On Sat, Sep 15, 2018 at 08:41:52PM +0300, Родин Максим wrote:
>> Hello,
>> May be a silly question,
>> how can I make the cwm window manager reread its config file
>> without loosing my working session?
>
>  From cwmrc(5):
> BIND FUNCTION LIST
>       restart                  Restart the running cwm(1).
>
> And from cwm(1):
>       cwm rereads its configuration file when it receives a hangup signal,
>       SIGHUP, by executing itself with the name and arguments with which it was
>       started.  This is equivalent to the restart function.

Maksim

Re: How to make the cwm window manager reread new config

Stuart Henderson
On 2018-09-16, Родин Максим <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thank you very much, it works.
> I always thought this would restart my whole session and I would loose
> all my open windows.

It does actually restart the window manager, but information relating to
the session (group etc) is stored "attached" to the clients in "atoms"
so that it can be picked up by the new cwm instance, you shouldn't
notice any difference after it's done restarting and loading that
information.

Re: How to make the cwm window manager reread new config

Okan Demirmen
On Sun 2018.09.16 at 17:10 +0000, Stuart Henderson wrote:

> On 2018-09-16, ?????????? ???????????? <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Thank you very much, it works.
> > I always thought this would restart my whole session and I would loose
> > all my open windows.
>
> It does actually restart the window manager, but information relating to
> the session (group etc) is stored "attached" to the clients in "atoms"
> so that it can be picked up by the new cwm instance, you shouldn't
> notice any difference after it's done restarting and loading that
> information.

Late to the game here; as mentioned by others, cwm does retain state
upon restart/reload; there are a few things that are not retained
however, such as client name history, previous client geometries and
such.