How to find available wifi access points?

How to find available wifi access points?

Matt-189
Hi,

Happily running a laptop on OpenBSD - but I am a first time wifi-er.

I have no trouble connecting to a _known_  SSID, but I would like to
find out which wifi networks are within my reach.
I did man/search archives but no luck there - I've seen monitoring mode
- can set my card to it, which seems a good direction towards my goal.
But I simply not have a clue what to do next... ?

All I need to be able to do is see what networks are available when out
and about, nothing more.
Obviously I am not the only user with this wish - so I am probably
missing something extremely obvious :-(

(Running 4.5 snapshot with onboard iwi0 - but also have external rum0
and ral0 cards available).

Thanks!

Matt

Re: How to find available wifi access points?

Aaron Stellman
On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 08:12:45AM +0100, Matt wrote:
> Hi,

> All I need to be able to do is see what networks are available when out
> and about, nothing more.
> Obviously I am not the only user with this wish - so I am probably
> missing something extremely obvious :-(
>
> (Running 4.5 snapshot with onboard iwi0 - but also have external rum0
> and ral0 cards available).
For recent snapshots it `scan' argument to ifconfig(8)
try: ifconfig iwi0 scan

Re: How to find available wifi access points?

Frank Habicht-4
man ifconfig:

chan [n]
       Set the channel (radio frequency) to be used for IEEE
       802.11-based wireless network interfaces to n.

       With no channel specified, show the results of an access point
       scan.  In Host AP mode, this will dump the list of known nodes
       without scanning.

Frank

On 03/20/09 10:12, Matt wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Happily running a laptop on OpenBSD - but I am a first time wifi-er.
>
> I have no trouble connecting to a _known_  SSID, but I would like to
> find out which wifi networks are within my reach.
> I did man/search archives but no luck there - I've seen monitoring mode
> - can set my card to it, which seems a good direction towards my goal.
> But I simply not have a clue what to do next... ?
>
> All I need to be able to do is see what networks are available when out
> and about, nothing more.
> Obviously I am not the only user with this wish - so I am probably
> missing something extremely obvious :-(
>
> (Running 4.5 snapshot with onboard iwi0 - but also have external rum0
> and ral0 cards available).
>
> Thanks!
>
> Matt

Re: How to find available wifi access points?

Janne Johansson
Matt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Happily running a laptop on OpenBSD - but I am a first time wifi-er.
>
> I have no trouble connecting to a _known_  SSID, but I would like to
> find out which wifi networks are within my reach.

ifconfig iwn0 chan

man ifconfig:
[...]
      chan [n]
              Set the channel (radio frequency) to be used for IEEE
              802.11-based wireless network interfaces to n.
              With no channel specified, show the results of an access
              point scan.

Somewhat hard to find, but there it is.

Re: How to find available wifi access points?

michael enoma aghayere
> All I need to be able to do is see what networks are available when out and
> about, nothing more.
> Obviously I am not the only user with this wish - so I am probably missing
> something extremely obvious :-(

 sudo ifconfig iwi0 chan

--
~michael
www.BSDqed.com

Re: How to find available wifi access points?

Matt-189
Thank you all - that worked (both 'chan' and 'scan').
Now that I actually know what to search for I found lots of good info...
*blush*

For those thinking regexp / awk / automation - see:

http://undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20071224164233
http://thenixplace.net/doku.php?id=openbsd_wifi_profiles

Thanks again,
Matt

Re: How to find available wifi access points?

Stuart Henderson
On 2009-03-20, Matt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thank you all - that worked (both 'chan' and 'scan').

you should use "scan", "chan" does something else now.

Re: How to find available wifi access points?

Floor Terra
I was confused by this a few days ago.
I guess I should keep track of all cvs commits.

Floor

On 2009-03-20, Matt <[hidden email]> wrote: > Thank you all -
that worked (both 'chan' an...
you should use "scan", "chan" does something else now.

Re: How to find available wifi access points?

Edd Barrett
On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 09:14:49AM +0000, Stuart Henderson wrote:
> On 2009-03-20, Matt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Thank you all - that worked (both 'chan' and 'scan').
>
> you should use "scan", "chan" does something else now.

bah, this keeps changing!

--

Best Regards

Edd Barrett
(Freelance software developer / technical writer / open-source developer)

http://students.dec.bmth.ac.uk/ebarrett