How to disable wireless card ath0

ML mail
Hello,

I am running OpenBSD 4.9 i386 on an Apple Mac mini and these mac mini
have one ethernet as well as one wireless card. I will only be using the
ethernet card so I wanted to be sure that my ath0 is disabled and not all the
time scanning. Basically I would like it to be off so that it doesn't emit any
radio signals.

If I don't configure the card is this already the case? or do
I need to enforce this through an ifconfig ath0 down? I couldn't find anything
about this topic on the FAQ...

Just in case here is the ifconfig output for
ath0.

ath0: flags=8822<BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500

  lladdr 00:1c:xx:xx:xx:xx
        priority: 4
        groups: wlan

media: IEEE802.11 autoselect (OFDM6)
        status: no network

ieee80211: nwid ""
        inet6 xxx::xxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx%ath0 prefixlen 64
scopeid 0x2

Regards,
ML

Re: How to disable wireless card ath0

Jan Stary

http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq5.html#BootConfig

Re: How to disable wireless card ath0

ML mail
mhh, I must be blind! Thanks it worked perfectly by using "disable ath".

> I am running OpenBSD 4.9 i386 on an Apple Mac mini and these mac mini
> have one ethernet as well as one wireless card. I will only be using the
> ethernet card so I wanted to be sure that my ath0 is disabled and not all the
> time scanning. Basically I would like it to be off so that it doesn't emit any
> radio signals.
>
> If I don't configure the card is this already the case? or do
> I need to enforce this through an ifconfig ath0 down? I couldn't find anything
> about this topic on the FAQ...

http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq5.html#BootConfig

Re: How to disable wireless card ath0

Jonathan Gray
This is stupid and not required, simply don't configure
the interface with ifconfig or hostname.ath0 and it won't
scan.

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 02:06:06PM -0700, ML mail wrote:

> mhh, I must be blind! Thanks it worked perfectly by using "disable ath".

zantgo@gmail.com
please explain why you bought a Mac!

El 24-10-2011, a las 19:55, Jonathan Gray <[hidden email]> escribiC3:

> This is stupid and not required, simply don't configure
> the interface with ifconfig or hostname.ath0 and it won't
> scan.
>
> On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 02:06:06PM -0700, ML mail wrote:
>> mhh, I must be blind! Thanks it worked perfectly by using "disable ath".

I didn't buy it, just got it for free and I am playing around... In my opinion
OpenBSD is an universal operating system and why not use it with other
computers. Actually OpenBSD should be installed on all computers, that would
be a better world ;-)

<[hidden email]>; "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Sent: Tuesday,
October 25, 2011 2:45 AM