How is anyone building any ports?

Jason Downs
Hi,

How is anyone building any ports?  It seems like half the ports tree depends on LLVM, which depends on gcc-4.9.  gcc-4.9 doesn’t compile by default, and once you build it without ada, LLVM still doesn’t build.  It looks like someone added -mlongcall to the CFLAGS at some point, presumably to make it build, but it seems like it also needs a linker which does –gc-sections, and ours does not.  (It’s still/once again failing with a relocation overflow.)

Re: How is anyone building any ports?

Jeremie Courreges-Anglas-2
Jason Downs <[hidden email]> writes:

> How is anyone building any ports? It seems like half the ports tree
> depends on LLVM, which depends on gcc-4.9. gcc-4.9 doesn’t compile by
> default, and once you build it without ada, LLVM still doesn’t build. It
> looks like someone added -mlongcall to the CFLAGS at some point,
> presumably to make it build, but it seems like it also needs a linker
> which does –gc-sections, and ours does not.

I disabled --gc-sections in binutils-2.17 because the code that backed
it was broken; I doubt that lack of --gc-sections is what kills us.

IIRC src/lib/csu and lack of support for some relocations in
binutils-2.17 were the offending problems.

> (It’s still/once again failing with a relocation overflow.)

What's the error, now?

jca | PGP : 0x1524E7EE / 5135 92C1 AD36 5293 2BDF  DDCC 0DFA 74AE 1524 E7EE

Re: How is anyone building any ports?

Joe Nosay
At this point, have the BSD port maintainers of the POWER/PPC(32/64)
learned to work together?
In parts, yes is the answer.
I have noticed that there are different problems in both the NetBSD and
OpenBSD architecture ports. Currently, FreeBSD is the most advanced OS for
the POWER architectures. Working together instead of against and on your
own would make things better for everyone. All would benefit.