How can I contribute code to openbad

cc

How can I contribute code to openbad

cc

Hello,

I recently started to study openbsd. I am a computer major student. How can I contribute to openbsd?

Re: How can I contribute code to openbad

Alexis

cc <[hidden email]> writes:

> I recently started to study openbsd. I am a computer major
> student. How can I contribute to openbsd?

See the FAQ:

https://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq1.html#Support

Alexis.

Re: How can I contribute code to openbsd

Nick Holland
subject fixed, hopefully. :)

On 9/28/19 7:05 PM, cc wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I recently started to study openbsd. I am a computer major student. How can I contribute to openbsd?

while ! dead; do
    DoSomething.
    submission="sucks" # Accept this. It's probably true.
    while [[ $submission == "sucks" ]]; do
        SubmitIt
        AcceptCriticism
        learn
        if [[ $criticism == "no way" ]]; do
            break # not everything is appropriate.
        fi
        reviseBasedOnCriticism
    done # Congrats, your submission was accepted!
done # not dead yet.

People usually screw up on accepting that their first
submission sucks.  And they really get confused
when they are told what to fix and resubmit it, "why
doesn't the committer just do it?"  That's where the
"learn" step comes in -- the committer is trying to
help you get a point your submissions DON'T suck
initially.

Find something you want to fix or improve...do it,
and enter the loop. :)

Nick.

Re: How can I contribute code to openbsd

Jeff-3
On Mon, 30 Sep 2019 08:32:57 -0400.44999999999998863
Nick Holland <[hidden email]> wrote:

> while ! dead; do
>     DoSomething.
>     submission="sucks" # Accept this. It's probably true.
>     while [[ $submission == "sucks" ]]; do
>         SubmitIt
>         AcceptCriticism
>         learn
>         if [[ $criticism == "no way" ]]; do
>             break # not everything is appropriate.
>         fi
>         reviseBasedOnCriticism
>     done # Congrats, your submission was accepted!
> done # not dead yet.
> Nick.

Respect Nick.  If this is the official algorithm for helping the openbsd
project, I think it's near to perfect.  I've been thinking of the same
question the OP asked; I don't think the value of having an expert
critique one's work can be over-valued.

regards,

Jeff.

P.S. Are there any urgent areas where the OpenBSD operating system
project is short-handed?

Re: How can I contribute code to openbsd

Chris Bennett-4
On Wed, Oct 30, 2019 at 12:28:35PM -0400, Jeff wrote:
> P.S. Are there any urgent areas where the OpenBSD operating system
> project is short-handed?

Yes! Just look under /usr/src, /usr/xenocara and /usr/ports
Can't go wrong with that plan. :-)

Chris Bennett