Home server rack recommendations?

Kent R. Spillner-2
Can anyone recommend a good server rack for home?  Ideally something with casters so I can move it around, preferably 12-16U.  I found several via Google but my primary concern is the quality & durability of the casters.  Not that I plan on wheeling this old gear around a lot, I just want the piece of mind that a caster won't snap off when I do.  :)

Re: Home server rack recommendations?

mbregg
On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 7:28 AM, Kent R. Spillner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a good server rack for home?  Ideally something with
> casters so I can move it around, preferably 12-16U.  I found several via
> Google but my primary concern is the quality & durability of the casters.
> Not that I plan on wheeling this old gear around a lot, I just want the
> piece of mind that a caster won't snap off when I do.  :)

You might want to check out monoprice.  Maybe something like this:
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=105&cp_id=10516&cs_id=1051601&p_id=10643&seq=1&format=2

I've bought a number of different things from monoprice for home and work
(some shelves and wall mount brackets), and the quality and durability is
excellent.  The only downside is the shipping charges can get quite
expensive if you're outside the US, but the lower prices of the items
mostly made up for that.

Re: Home server rack recommendations?

Nick Holland
On 03/10/15 09:27, Kent R. Spillner wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a good server rack for home?  Ideally something
> with casters so I can move it around, preferably 12-16U.  I found
> several via Google but my primary concern is the quality & durability
> of the casters.  Not that I plan on wheeling this old gear around a
> lot, I just want the piece of mind that a caster won't snap off when
> I do.  :)

Bang for the buck, hard to beat a "Lack Rack" (google for it.  And
laugh.  But ... it works!).  You'd have to put your own wheels on it,
and for 12-16U, probably need to stack two of them, but should be doable.

Nick.

Re: Home server rack recommendations?

Gene-46
rackmountgears on eBay has some decent stuff in the $200-$300 price range
(not including shipping).

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?&_ssn=rackmountgears&_nkw=cabinet

I bought an 18U cabinet with casters from them in 2013.  Still holding up
very well.

It's a pain to assemble, though.  :)

-Gene

On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 6:28 AM, Kent R. Spillner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a good server rack for home?  Ideally something with
> casters so I can move it around, preferably 12-16U.  I found several via
> Google but my primary concern is the quality & durability of the casters.
> Not that I plan on wheeling this old gear around a lot, I just want the
> piece of mind that a caster won't snap off when I do.  :)

Re: Home server rack recommendations?

vadimou

On 3/10/15, Kent R. Spillner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a good server rack for home?  Ideally something with
> casters so I can move it around, preferably 12-16U.  I found several via
> Google but my primary concern is the quality & durability of the casters.
> Not that I plan on wheeling this old gear around a lot, I just want the
> piece of mind that a caster won't snap off when I do.  :)

the biggest problem with having a server at home for me was noise. So
I would recommend XRackPro http://www.xrackpro.com/ . I did not have
any problems with casters, but I've got mine in 2007 (I believe) and
current models seem to have a little bit different casters.

On 2015-03-10, Nick Holland <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 03/10/15 09:27, Kent R. Spillner wrote:
>> Can anyone recommend a good server rack for home?  Ideally something
>> with casters so I can move it around, preferably 12-16U.  I found
>> several via Google but my primary concern is the quality & durability
>> of the casters.  Not that I plan on wheeling this old gear around a
>> lot, I just want the piece of mind that a caster won't snap off when
>> I do.  :)
>
> Bang for the buck, hard to beat a "Lack Rack" (google for it.  And
> laugh.  But ... it works!).  You'd have to put your own wheels on it,
> and for 12-16U, probably need to stack two of them, but should be doable.

Old lacks had solid legs, new ones are mostly hollow so are a bit limited
when used to make lackracks.

Re: Home server rack recommendations?

Mike.
On 3/10/2015 at 5:46 PM Nick Holland wrote:

|On 03/10/15 09:27, Kent R. Spillner wrote:
|> Can anyone recommend a good server rack for home?  Ideally
something
|> with casters so I can move it around, preferably 12-16U.  I found
|> several via Google but my primary concern is the quality &
durability
|> of the casters.  Not that I plan on wheeling this old gear around
|> lot, I just want the piece of mind that a caster won't snap off
when
|> I do.  :)
|
|Bang for the buck, hard to beat a "Lack Rack" (google for it.  And
|laugh.  But ... it works!).  You'd have to put your own wheels on
it,
|and for 12-16U, probably need to stack two of them, but should be
doable.
 =============

So long as we're assembling Ikea ...

Take one of these:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/44361109/

And install rack rails:
http://www.amazon.com/Raxxess-Rack-Rails-Black-Space/dp/B000K6B38C

From the Q&A section of the rack rails page:

does it fit the ikea rast

A:
Yup, I bought two sets and slapped them both in a rast bedside no
problem. Just needed a few additional screw to attach them to the
inside of the wood, but the fit is perfect with no modifications.

Re: Home server rack recommendations?

David Coppa
On Wed, Mar 11, 2015 at 4:37 PM, Mike. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 3/10/2015 at 5:46 PM Nick Holland wrote:
>
> |On 03/10/15 09:27, Kent R. Spillner wrote:
> |> Can anyone recommend a good server rack for home?  Ideally
> something
> |> with casters so I can move it around, preferably 12-16U.  I found
> |> several via Google but my primary concern is the quality &
> durability
> |> of the casters.  Not that I plan on wheeling this old gear around
> |> lot, I just want the piece of mind that a caster won't snap off
> when
> |> I do.  :)
> |
> |Bang for the buck, hard to beat a "Lack Rack" (google for it.  And
> |laugh.  But ... it works!).  You'd have to put your own wheels on
> it,
> |and for 12-16U, probably need to stack two of them, but should be
> doable.
>  =============
>

> So long as we're assembling Ikea ...
>
> Take one of these:
> http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/44361109/
>
> And install rack rails:
> http://www.amazon.com/Raxxess-Rack-Rails-Black-Space/dp/B000K6B38C
>

> From the Q&A section of the rack rails page:
>
> does it fit the ikea rast
>
> A:
> Yup, I bought two sets and slapped them both in a rast bedside no
> problem. Just needed a few additional screw to attach them to the
> inside of the wood, but the fit is perfect with no modifications.

https://web.archive.org/web/20140615053100/http://www.ikeahackers.net/2012/05/rast-transformed-in-a-19-inch-rack-mount.html

cheers!
David
--
"If you try a few times and give up, you'll never get there. But if
you keep at it... There's a lot of problems in the world which can