Help with new port: ranger file manager

Nils Reuße
Hi ports@,

this is a port for the file manager `ranger'. Ranger is written in
python, supports VI keybindings and has a `miller column' view:
http://nongnu.org/ranger/. There are a few problems remaining:

* `make fake' is working fine, same as `make plist'. But `make
package' fails, because of a trailing `\-' in `${FULLPKGNAME\-}':

$ grep FULLPKGNAME pkg/PLIST
lib/python${MODPY_VERSION}/site-packages/${FULLPKGNAME\-}-py${MODPY_VERSION}.egg-info

When I remove `\-' from `${FULLPKGNAME\-}', the package can be built.
Installing it results in more small issues:

* The man page gets installed into `/usr/local/share/man/man1/'
instead of `/usr/local/man/man1/', where it can't be found by man(1).

* It's not possible to do a clean uninstall:

# make uninstall
===> Deinstalling for ranger-1.5.4
ranger-1.5.4: ok
Read shared items: ok
--- -ranger-1.5.4 -------------------
Error deleting directory /usr/local/share/man: Directory not empty
Error deleting directory
/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ranger/gui/widgets: Directory
not empty
Error deleting directory
/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ranger/gui: Directory not empty
Error deleting directory
/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ranger/fsobject: Directory not
empty
Error deleting directory
/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ranger/ext: Directory not empty
Error deleting directory
/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ranger/defaults: Directory not
empty
Error deleting directory
/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ranger/core: Directory not
empty
Error deleting directory
/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ranger/container: Directory not
empty
Error deleting directory
/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ranger/colorschemes: Directory
not empty
Error deleting directory
/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ranger/api: Directory not empty
Error deleting directory
/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ranger: Directory not empty

The executable itself is working fine though, as far as I have tested
it. This is my first port, so maybe I just missed something obvious.

Best regards,
Nils

ranger.tgz (2K) Download Attachment

Re: Help with new port: ranger file manager

Jiri B-2
On Sun, Jul 08, 2012 at 09:56:23PM +0200, Nils Reu�?e wrote:

> Hi ports@,
>
> this is a port for the file manager `ranger'. Ranger is written in
> python, supports VI keybindings and has a `miller column' view:
> http://nongnu.org/ranger/. There are a few problems remaining:
>
> * `make fake' is working fine, same as `make plist'. But `make
> package' fails, because of a trailing `\-' in `${FULLPKGNAME\-}':
>
> $ grep FULLPKGNAME pkg/PLIST
> lib/python${MODPY_VERSION}/site-packages/${FULLPKGNAME\-}-py${MODPY_VERSION}.egg-info
>
> When I remove `\-' from `${FULLPKGNAME\-}', the package can be built.
> Installing it results in more small issues:
>
> * The man page gets installed into `/usr/local/share/man/man1/'
> instead of `/usr/local/man/man1/', where it can't be found by man(1).
>
> * It's not possible to do a clean uninstall:
>
> # make uninstall
> ===> Deinstalling for ranger-1.5.4
> ranger-1.5.4: ok
> Read shared items: ok
> --- -ranger-1.5.4 -------------------
> Error deleting directory /usr/local/share/man: Directory not empty
> Error deleting directory
> /usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ranger/gui/widgets: Directory
> not empty
> Error deleting directory
> /usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ranger/gui: Directory not empty
> Error deleting directory
> /usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ranger/fsobject: Directory not
> empty
> Error deleting directory
> /usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ranger/ext: Directory not empty
> Error deleting directory
> /usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ranger/defaults: Directory not
> empty
> Error deleting directory
> /usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ranger/core: Directory not
> empty
> Error deleting directory
> /usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ranger/container: Directory not
> empty
> Error deleting directory
> /usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ranger/colorschemes: Directory
> not empty
> Error deleting directory
> /usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ranger/api: Directory not empty
> Error deleting directory
> /usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ranger: Directory not empty
>

> The executable itself is working fine though, as far as I have tested
> it. This is my first port, so maybe I just missed something obvious.
>
> Best regards,
> Nils

Hi,

1. EXTRACT_SUFX is not needed, default is tar.gz
2. Is it really needed to use that Makefile at all? It is not doing anything
   interesting for you/us. Remove USE_GMAKE and python module will take
   care of installation. Maybe this would help with your 'issue'.

jirib

Re: Help with new port: ranger file manager

Stuart Henderson
openbsd-wip/sysutils/ranger is probably a better base if someone wants
to pick it up. I vaguely recall some problem with it, but I forget what..

On 2012/07/09 00:00, Stuart Henderson wrote:
> openbsd-wip/sysutils/ranger is probably a better base if someone wants
> to pick it up. I vaguely recall some problem with it, but I forget what..

Oh right I ported this before rthreads was enabled so we had pipe problems.
Any OKs to import?

ranger.tgz (3K) Download Attachment

Re: Help with new port: ranger file manager

Giovanni Bechis-6
On 07/08/12 21:56, Nils Reuße wrote:
> Hi ports@,
>
> this is a port for the file manager `ranger'. Ranger is written in
> python, supports VI keybindings and has a `miller column' view:
> http://nongnu.org/ranger/. There are a few problems remaining:
>
> * `make fake' is working fine, same as `make plist'. But `make
> package' fails, because of a trailing `\-' in `${FULLPKGNAME\-}':

I tried to fix your port and enabled regression tests, anybody has some ideas about the ${FULLPKGNAME\-}
line in PLIST ?
 Cheers
  Giovanni

ranger-1.5.4.tgz (2K) Download Attachment

2012/7/9 Stuart Henderson <[hidden email]>:
> openbsd-wip/sysutils/ranger is probably a better base if someone wants
> to pick it up. I vaguely recall some problem with it, but I forget what..

Thanks, I will look into it.  One of your patches changes the path
where the man page gets installed, so that should not be an issue
anymore. But where does the ${MODPY_EGG_VERSION} come from? Does it
have a special meaning? It's used in the Makefile, and the problematic
line in PLIST becomes

lib/python${MODPY_VERSION}/site-packages/ranger-${MODPY_EGG_VERSION}-py${MODPY_VERSION}.egg-info,

but I was not able to find documentation for it.

Thanks for the help so far and best regards,
Nils

On 2012/07/09 00:34, Nils Reuße wrote:

> 2012/7/9 Stuart Henderson <[hidden email]>:
> > openbsd-wip/sysutils/ranger is probably a better base if someone wants
> > to pick it up. I vaguely recall some problem with it, but I forget what..
> >

> Thanks, I will look into it.  One of your patches changes the path
> where the man page gets installed, so that should not be an issue
> anymore. But where does the ${MODPY_EGG_VERSION} come from? Does it
> have a special meaning? It's used in the Makefile, and the problematic
> line in PLIST becomes
>
> lib/python${MODPY_VERSION}/site-packages/ranger-${MODPY_EGG_VERSION}-py${MODPY_VERSION}.egg-info,
>
> but I was not able to find documentation for it.

This one's described in port-modules(5).

update-plist is not fully operational at the moment, there are quite a
few areas where it needs manual tweaks.

Re: Help with new port: ranger file manager

Brett Mahar-2
On Sun, 8 Jul 2012 21:56:23 +0200
Nils Reuße <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi ports@,
>
> this is a port for the file manager `ranger'. Ranger is written in
> python, supports VI keybindings and has a `miller column' view:
> http://nongnu.org/ranger/. There are a few problems remaining:

Hi Nils,

Maybe this port should go into CATEGORIES = x11 rather than sysutils? Other file managers are in x11 (eg xfe, rox-filer, gentoo), or metapackage subdirectories of x11 (eg thunar and nautilus).

Cheers,
Brett.

On 2012/07/10 15:55, Brett wrote:
> On Sun, 8 Jul 2012 21:56:23 +0200
> Nils Reuße <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi ports@,
> >
> > this is a port for the file manager `ranger'. Ranger is written in
> > python, supports VI keybindings and has a `miller column' view:
> > http://nongnu.org/ranger/. There are a few problems remaining:

It's committed, by the way.

> Hi Nils,
>
> Maybe this port should go into CATEGORIES = x11 rather than sysutils? Other file managers are in x11 (eg xfe, rox-filer, gentoo), or metapackage subdirectories of x11 (eg thunar and nautilus).
>
> Cheers,
> Brett.

There would be some precedent for putting it in misc with mc, but x11 wouldn't
be appropriate for this one.

Re: Help with new port: ranger file manager

David Coppa

This is a console file manager, like midnight commander (mc)...

2012/7/10 David Coppa <[hidden email]>:

> On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 7:55 AM, Brett <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Sun, 8 Jul 2012 21:56:23 +0200
>> Nils Reuße <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi ports@,
>>>
>>> this is a port for the file manager `ranger'. Ranger is written in
>>> python, supports VI keybindings and has a `miller column' view:
>>> http://nongnu.org/ranger/. There are a few problems remaining:
>>
>> Hi Nils,
>>
>> Maybe this port should go into CATEGORIES = x11 rather than sysutils? Other file managers are in x11 (eg xfe, rox-filer, gentoo), or metapackage subdirectories of x11 (eg thunar and nautilus).
>
> This is a console file manager, like midnight commander (mc)...

I put it in sysutils, because vifm is also in there. Maybe they both
should be moved to misc then? Anyway, thanks for commiting!