Help wanted: HieroTeX

dir21@cam.ac.uk
I'm very sorry to bother you. I'm attempting to create a port of
HieroTeX, which enables one to typeset Egyptian hieroglypics using
LaTeX. I've got it mostly working for me on i386 and sparc64 (current of
2005-11-19 in both cases) but I can't get the Type 1 fonts to work with
pdflatex. At the end of the install process I copy pdftex.cfg to
/usr/local/share/texmf-local/pdftex/pdftex.cfg and then run mktexlsr
followed by updmap.

There are two problems:

1. This doesn't work: The Type 1 fonts are not available to pdflatex,
   and
2. I don't know what the right thing to do is if
   /usr/local/share/texmf-local/pdftex/pdftex.cfg already exists. Or
   rather, I can see that the right thing to do is to modify it if it
   exists and create it if it doesn't, but I don't know how one handles
   that in the context of creating a port.

Googling and looking at other LaTeX-related ports hasn't helped with
this. The port is attached. I'll be very grateful if anyone can tell me
just what I'm missing.

NB: To make a LaTeX document containing hieroglyphics for testing you
can do the following:

Create file test.htx containing:

  \documentclass{article}
  \usepackage{hiero}
  \begin{document}
  \begin{hieroglyph}
    i-n:(p*W)-E15-nb:tA:Dsr
  \end{hieroglyph}
  \end{document}

Then do:

  sesh < test.htx > test.tex
  latex test.tex

To test the Type 1 fonts create a file test2.htx containing:

  \documentclass{article}
  \usepackage[psfonts]{hiero}
  \begin{document}
  \begin{hieroglyph}
    i-n:(p*W)-E15-nb:tA:Dsr
  \end{hieroglyph}
  \end{document}

Then do:

sesh < test2.htx > test2.tex
pdflatex test2.tex

--
dir21

hierotex.tar.gz (3K) Download Attachment