Help updating shells/bash to 5.0

Stephen Gregoratto
Bash 5.0 has just been released[1], and I thought I'd try and update the
port. I'm having problems getting the `seq` builtin to compile.
I've attached the (truncated) log, but the gist of it is this:

In file included from seq.c:32:
In file included from ../../bashintl.h:30:
../../include/gettext.h:27:11: fatal error: 'libintl.h' file not found
# include <libintl.h>

This happens whether or not the Makefile.in patch is applied.
Also attached is the cvs diff of my progress. I've disabled the
PATCHFILES section since there are none available.

[1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-bash/2019-01/msg00063.html
--
Stephen Gregoratto

log (1K) Download Attachment
bash-partial.patch (2K) Download Attachment

Re: Help updating shells/bash to 5.0

Elias M. Mariani
Hi Stephen,
The Makefile in examples/loadables is missing the argument to find libintl.h

You can specify the argument via:
CONFIGURE_ARGS= INTL_INC=-I${LOCALBASE}/include

That wont work either because for *some reason* the INTL_INC variable
is set to " " in the base Makefile:
INTL_DEP= INTL_INC= LIBINTL_H=

So probably you need to remove that line.

With those changes the ports builds fine on amd64, you should check
other things, like WANTLIBs, dependencies, if it runs ?

On a side note, there is no need to specify PKGNAME when DISTNAME is the same:
-DISTNAME= bash-4.4.18
-PKGNAME= bash-4.4.23
+DISTNAME= bash-5.0

I attach a diff with the changes, but again, it lacks some work.

Cheers.
Elias.

On Tue, Jan 8, 2019 at 5:39 AM Stephen Gregoratto <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Bash 5.0 has just been released[1], and I thought I'd try and update the
> port. I'm having problems getting the `seq` builtin to compile.
> I've attached the (truncated) log, but the gist of it is this:
>
> In file included from seq.c:32:
> In file included from ../../bashintl.h:30:
> ../../include/gettext.h:27:11: fatal error: 'libintl.h' file not found
> # include <libintl.h>
>
> This happens whether or not the Makefile.in patch is applied.
> Also attached is the cvs diff of my progress. I've disabled the
> PATCHFILES section since there are none available.
>
> [1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-bash/2019-01/msg00063.html
> --
> Stephen Gregoratto

bash.diff (4K) Download Attachment

Re: Help updating shells/bash to 5.0

Christian Weisgerber
Stephen Gregoratto:

> Bash 5.0 has just been released[1], and I thought I'd try and update the
> port.

I'll look at updating the bash port sometime in the next few days.
At the moment I'm busy with GNU tar, which had a new release a few
days earlier, and which is again an exercise in frustration; cf.
my p2k18 report on undeadly.

Re: Help updating shells/bash to 5.0

Stephen Gregoratto
Everything OK on my amd64 server. I'd rather not mess with the
WANTLIBs/deps though.
--
Stephen Gregoratto