Help contacting Richard Stallman

Julian Acosta
Hello!

I'm from the Postgraduate Departmen of the ITCC University from Mexico,

Really we need to contact with Richard Stallman, just for give us his
opinion and answer us some questions about free software,
How can I contact him?
What's his real email?

This help affects up to 19 universities from Mexico,

Well, I hope you can help me,

Really thanks,

Best Regards,
Ing. Julian Acosta
Instituto Tecnologico de Cd. Cuauhtimoc
Departamento de Posgrado

Re: Help contacting Richard Stallman

Tomas Bodzar-4
I thought that RMS is GNU guy and this is BSD mailing list so maybe
you mistyped address? Anyway what's the status of reading and
searching ability on universities in Mexico as email of RMS is on his
own page http://stallman.org/ ? ;-)

http://www.openbsd.org/lyrics.html

Re: Help contacting Richard Stallman

Super Biscuit

Wrong mailing list.

Re: Help contacting Richard Stallman

Karl Sjodahl - dunceor-2
On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 8:18 AM, Julian Acosta <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I'm from the Postgraduate Departmen of the ITCC University from Mexico,
>
> Really we need to contact with Richard Stallman, just for give us his
> opinion and answer us some questions about free software,
> How can I contact him?
> What's his real email?
>
> This help affects up to 19 universities from Mexico,
>
> Well, I hope you can help me,
>
> Really thanks,
>
> Best Regards,
> Ing. Julian Acosta
> Instituto Tecnologico de Cd. Cuauhtimoc
> Departamento de Posgrado

Why ask this on a OpenBSD mailing list? OpenBSD has nothing to do with
Richard Stallman or GNU.
Check www.gnu.org.

Re: Help contacting Richard Stallman

Gilles Chehade-7
On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 12:18:03AM -0600, Julian Acosta wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I'm from the Postgraduate Departmen of the ITCC University from Mexico,
>
> Really we need to contact with Richard Stallman, just for give us his
> opinion and answer us some questions about free software,
> How can I contact him?
> What's his real email?
>
> This help affects up to 19 universities from Mexico,
>
> Well, I hope you can help me,
>
> Really thanks,

To contact him:

1- put a woodstock live CD
2- get rid of all water points
3- sacrifice a goat

At this point, the feet-naked hippy should come with his flute ;-)

Gilles

NB: you're on the wrong mailing-list and it was too tempting.

Gilles Chehade

Re: Help contacting Richard Stallman

Peter Kay (Syllopsium)
>From: "Julian Acosta" <[hidden email]>
> Hello!
>
> I'm from the Postgraduate Departmen of the ITCC University from Mexico,
>
> Really we need to contact with Richard Stallman, just for give us his
> opinion and answer us some questions about free software,
> How can I contact him?
> What's his real email?
You'd be better contacting the FSF rather than Stallman directly - don't you
think that's overkill?

He also may have conducted just one or two interviews and written a couple
of articles - just google.

Bear in mind that their favoured GPL 'free' software license is not free. It
is
effectively free as in beer, but not as in free speech[1].  Their definition
includes being forced to give away source code, which whilst I understand
the viewpoint (of increasing free code), is by any measure a restriction of
your freedom.

BSD licenses, on the other hand, do not restrict what you can do, although
it's
good karma to contribute back when using a large amount of free code from
others.

[1] The GPL allows products to be sold, but seeing as this must include
source code, after one sale it only needs someone with a compiler to
distribute
it freely (as in beer).

Peter

Re: Help contacting Richard Stallman

Ed Ahlsen-Girard-2
At 2010-05-26 11:03:50 Gilles Chehade wrote:

> On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 12:18:03AM -0600, Julian Acosta wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > I'm from the Postgraduate Departmen of the ITCC University from
> > Mexico,
> >
> > Really we need to contact with Richard Stallman, just for give us
> > his opinion and answer us some questions about free software,
> > How can I contact him?
> > What's his real email?
> >
> > This help affects up to 19 universities from Mexico,
> >
> > Well, I hope you can help me,
> >
> > Really thanks,
> >

> To contact him:
>
> 1- put a woodstock live CD
> 2- get rid of all water points
> 3- sacrifice a goat
>
> At this point, the feet-naked hippy should come with his flute ;-)
>
> Gilles
>
> NB: you're on the wrong mailing-list and it was too tempting.
>
> --
> Gilles Chehade

Gilles,

Qu'est-ce que "water points"?  Faucets?

--

Edward Ahlsen-Girard
Ft Walton Beach, FL

Re: Help contacting Richard Stallman

Marco Peereboom
That free beer analogy has never made any sense and never will.  I
honestly wonder why people keep repeating it.

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 12:32:56PM +0100, Peter Kay (Syllopsium) wrote:

>> From: "Julian Acosta" <[hidden email]>
>> Hello!
>>
>> I'm from the Postgraduate Departmen of the ITCC University from Mexico,
>>
>> Really we need to contact with Richard Stallman, just for give us his
>> opinion and answer us some questions about free software,
>> How can I contact him?
>> What's his real email?
> You'd be better contacting the FSF rather than Stallman directly - don't you
> think that's overkill?
>
> He also may have conducted just one or two interviews and written a couple
> of articles - just google.
>
> Bear in mind that their favoured GPL 'free' software license is not free.
> It is
> effectively free as in beer, but not as in free speech[1].  Their definition
> includes being forced to give away source code, which whilst I understand
> the viewpoint (of increasing free code), is by any measure a restriction of
> your freedom.
>
> BSD licenses, on the other hand, do not restrict what you can do,
> although it's
> good karma to contribute back when using a large amount of free code from
> others.
>
> [1] The GPL allows products to be sold, but seeing as this must include
> source code, after one sale it only needs someone with a compiler to
> distribute
> it freely (as in beer).
>
> Peter

Re: Help contacting Richard Stallman

Francesco Vollero
Il 26/05/10 14.32, Marco Peereboom ha scritto:
> That free beer analogy has never made any sense and never will.  I
> honestly wonder why people keep repeating it.

I hope that in some /parallel/ universe beer is free and bsd is the most
used license and *bsd is the most used and active operating system :)

-Francesco

> On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 12:32:56PM +0100, Peter Kay (Syllopsium) wrote:
>
>>> From: "Julian Acosta"<[hidden email]>
>>> Hello!
>>>
>>> I'm from the Postgraduate Departmen of the ITCC University from Mexico,
>>>
>>> Really we need to contact with Richard Stallman, just for give us his
>>> opinion and answer us some questions about free software,
>>> How can I contact him?
>>> What's his real email?
>>>
>> You'd be better contacting the FSF rather than Stallman directly - don't you
>> think that's overkill?
>>
>> He also may have conducted just one or two interviews and written a couple
>> of articles - just google.
>>
>> Bear in mind that their favoured GPL 'free' software license is not free.
>> It is
>> effectively free as in beer, but not as in free speech[1].  Their definition
>> includes being forced to give away source code, which whilst I understand
>> the viewpoint (of increasing free code), is by any measure a restriction of
>> your freedom.
>>
>> BSD licenses, on the other hand, do not restrict what you can do,
>> although it's
>> good karma to contribute back when using a large amount of free code from
>> others.
>>
>> [1] The GPL allows products to be sold, but seeing as this must include
>> source code, after one sale it only needs someone with a compiler to
>> distribute
>> it freely (as in beer).
>>
>> Peter

Re: Help contacting Richard Stallman

Brad Tilley-4
Julian Acosta wrote:

> Really we need to contact with Richard Stallman, just for give us his
> opinion and answer us some questions about free software,
> How can I contact him?
> What's his real email?

Just talk a lot about open source and the Linux operating system. He'll
show up.

Re: Help contacting Richard Stallman

Vadim Zhukov
2010/5/26 Brad Tilley <[hidden email]>:
> Julian Acosta wrote:
>
>> Really we need to contact with Richard Stallman, just for give us his
>> opinion and answer us some questions about free software,
>> How can I contact him?
>> What's his real email?
>
> Just talk a lot about open source and the Linux operating system. He'll
> show up.

Now he'll definitely come here, because you wrote "Linux" instead" of
religiously correct "GNU/Linux".

Re: Help contacting Richard Stallman

Sylvestre Gallon
On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 3:24 PM, Vadim Jukov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2010/5/26 Brad Tilley <[hidden email]>:
>> Julian Acosta wrote:
>>
>>> Really we need to contact with Richard Stallman, just for give us his
>>> opinion and answer us some questions about free software,
>>> How can I contact him?
>>> What's his real email?
>>
>> Just talk a lot about open source and the Linux operating system. He'll
>> show up.
>
> Now he'll definitely come here, because you wrote "Linux" instead" of
> religiously correct "GNU/Linux".

No because you wrote GNU/Linux instead of GNU/Hurd :p

Sylvestre Gallon

Re: Help contacting Richard Stallman

Igor Sobrado-7
On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 3:24 PM, Vadim Jukov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Now he'll definitely come here, because you wrote "Linux" instead" of
> religiously correct "GNU/Linux".

Do you mean Apache/BSD/GNU/IPL/MIT/SGI/X11/Linux, right?

Re: Help contacting Richard Stallman

Robert-318
Igor Sobrado wrote:
> On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 3:24 PM, Vadim Jukov <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Now he'll definitely come here, because you wrote "Linux" instead" of
>> religiously correct "GNU/Linux".
>
> Do you mean Apache/BSD/GNU/IPL/MIT/SGI/X11/Linux, right?

Wasn't that SCO/Linux?

Re: Help contacting Richard Stallman

Jorge Castillo-4
I really laughed when I read this and the discussion that followed
You should probably read http://www.openbsd.org/mail.html
You should also  check your emails before you send them
It's Cd. Cuauhtemoc not Cd. Cuauhtimoc (I am from the same city)

> Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 00:18:03 -0600
> Subject: Help contacting Richard Stallman
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
>
> Hello!
>
> I'm from the Postgraduate Departmen of the ITCC University from Mexico,
>
> Really we need to contact with Richard Stallman, just for give us his
> opinion and answer us some questions about free software,
> How can I contact him?
> What's his real email?
>
> This help affects up to 19 universities from Mexico,
>
> Well, I hope you can help me,
>
> Really thanks,
>
> Best Regards,
> Ing. Julian Acosta
> Instituto Tecnologico de Cd. Cuauhtimoc
> Departamento de Posgrado

Re: Help contacting Richard Stallman

VICTOR TARABOLA CORTIANO
> I thought that RMS is GNU guy and this is BSD mailing list so maybe
> you mistyped address? Anyway what's the status of reading and
> searching ability on universities in Mexico as email of RMS is on his
> own page http://stallman.org/ ? ;-)

At first I tought it was spam. It's quite weird for someone to ask his
"real" mail address here...

Re: Help contacting Richard Stallman

Peter Nicolai Mathias Hansteen
Vadim Jukov <[hidden email]> writes:

> Now he'll definitely come here, because you wrote "Linux" instead" of
> religiously correct "GNU/Linux".

Actually it's the other way around - in my experience he's
significantly more reluctant to visit if the organizers show a
fondness for "open source" rather than "free software" and mentions
"Linux" without "GNU/" prepended too often.

But still the wrong mailing list.

- P

Re: Help contacting Richard Stallman

VICTOR TARABOLA CORTIANO
> > I thought that RMS is GNU guy and this is BSD mailing list so maybe
> > you mistyped address? Anyway what's the status of reading and
> > searching ability on universities in Mexico as email of RMS is on his
> > own page http://stallman.org/ ? ;-)
> >

> At first I tought it was spam. It's quite weird for someone to ask his
> "real" mail address here...

Anyway, as he said above, you can find his "real" mail on
stallman.org, and don't bother contacting the FSF first,
just send mail to him directly.

But I still think it's weird to ask his email here...

Re: Help contacting Richard Stallman

Thanasis
It's clearly spam.

Re: Help contacting Richard Stallman

Christiano F. Haesbaert
We really need to reason whether he is trolling or not,

Even if he is completely clueless about OSS at all, why the hell would
he come to an openbsd list ? We all know openbsd isn't the most
popular OS in the planet, it's the best, but far from being the most
popular.

Having that in mind, why didn't he came across a Linux mailing list or
a FreeBSD or a my-ass-is-on-fire list ?
My point is, what are the odds of an individual asking the completely
wrong question on the completely wrong list ? (Think again, asking
about RMS on an openbsd list).

He is clearly trolling, stop feeding.

But wait, thinking again, he is an academic, you can expect anything
(be it good or bad) from academics.

12