Have a 1 Gbit connection but I not all devices are getting 1 Gbit speed from my ISP

Have a 1 Gbit connection but I not all devices are getting 1 Gbit speed from my ISP

Kollar Arpad
Hello:

Original question: https://superuser.com/questions/1332664/have-a-1-gbit-connection-but-i-not-all-devices-are-getting-1-gbit-speed-from-my

########################

I have 3 laptops and a 1 Gbit network connection to my ISP. But when I connect my ISPs cable to the laptops ethtool link/speedtest precisely says:

    Lenovo G500 with USB 3.0 Ethernet and OpenBSD 6.2 - 100mbit
    Lenovo T400 with motherboard Ethernet Ubuntu 14.04 - 100mbit
    Lenovo T560 with motherboard Ethernet Windows 10 - 1 Gbit

All the HWs support 1 Gbit connection.

The big question: Why cannot the Lenovo G500 and Lenovo T400 auto-negotiate to 1 Gbit? It is a 1 Gbit connection to my ISP, but I can only auto-negotiate with 1 Gbit with the Windows 10/T560 laptop.

Maybe I need cross-cable? The ISP I think has a switch at the other end.

This is the cable that I have from my ISP: https://i.stack.imgur.com/1rH37.jpg

########################

the USB 3.0 Gbit ethernet to USB is cdce.

Anybody seen similar? What could cause the 100mbit connection instead of the Gbit?

Thanks for any hint..

Re: Have a 1 Gbit connection but I not all devices are getting 1 Gbit speed from my ISP

Flipchan
Do u run cat 6 cables ?

Take Care Sincerely flipchan layerprox dev

Re: Have a 1 Gbit connection but I not all devices are getting 1 Gbit speed from my ISP

Il Ka

> >    Lenovo G500 with USB 3.0 Ethernet and OpenBSD 6.2 - 100mbit
> >    Lenovo T400 with motherboard Ethernet Ubuntu 14.04 - 100mbit
> >    Lenovo T560 with motherboard Ethernet Windows 10 - 1 Gbit

Boot all 3 laptops with OpenBSD flashdrive to see if it is OS/driver issue
of hardware issue.
Try to set speen explicitly and see if it works

Re: Have a 1 Gbit connection but I not all devices are getting 1 Gbit speed from my ISP

Kollar Arpad
no, just cat5e afaik Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2018 at 12:28 PM
From: flipchan <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email], "Kollar Arpad" <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: Have a 1 Gbit connection but I not all devices are getting 1
Gbit speed from my ISPDo u run cat 6 cables ?

Take Care Sincerely flipchan layerprox dev

Re: Have a 1 Gbit connection but I not all devices are getting 1 Gbit speed from my ISP

Kollar Arpad
UPDATE: I dd'ed an install63.fs to a flashdrive: sd2c, but only could
boot the T400 with it (other Lenovo T61 and T560 just couldn't boot from
it, strange). But the T400 booted the install63.fs, but.. it didn't
recognized the cdce USB Gbit ethernet when I exited the Installer to
Shell and plugged it in. any advice why didn't the .fs image didn't
booted on the T560 and a T61? And how can I liveCD test with OpenBSD?
Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2018 at 3:14 PM
From: "IL Ka" <[hidden email]>
To: flipchan <[hidden email]>
Cc: "OpenBSD General Misc" <[hidden email]>, "Kollar Arpad"