Hardware question

Bryan C. Everly-2
Hello all,

I'm eagerly awaiting the shipment of an Alphastation 500 machine (400 MHz
CPU) and was wondering if someone could tell me what type of hard drive I
should order for this machine?  It's original drive was removed by the IT
reclamation company that took it out of service.

Also, does anyone know of an inexpensive source of RAM for this machine?
I'd like to take it up to 1Gb if possible and not too costly.

Thanks,
Bryan

Re: Hardware question

Miod Vallat
> I'm eagerly awaiting the shipment of an Alphastation 500 machine (400 MHz
> CPU) and was wondering if someone could tell me what type of hard drive I
> should order for this machine?  It's original drive was removed by the IT
> reclamation company that took it out of service.

I suppose this will be an Alphastation 5/400 or 6/400, desktop case with
external greenish grey skins. These use narrow SCSI disks with an
NCR53C800 controller (siop(4) in OpenBSD).

> Also, does anyone know of an inexpensive source of RAM for this machine?
> I'd like to take it up to 1Gb if possible and not too costly.

I'm not sure these systems can accomodate more than 8x32MB ECC simms.
Maybe 8x64MB. Probably annoying enough to require the original DEC part
with gold-plated connectors, rather than average x36 FPM simms. I'm not
that sure about that, it's been years since I last used such a system.
I'm only using 21264-based systems those days (as well as a 164LX
system).

Re: Hardware question

Bryan C. Everly-2
Thanks for your reply.  Yes, that's the box.  I'll hit eBay and see what
drives I can find with a 50-pin SCSI.  I may try to NetBoot it just for
fun.  I have booted it up and verified that I can get onto the SRM console
via serial cable so I know the thing is working.  Should be fun to see what
I can make this old hardware do.  I'm going to try booting from the 5.8
Alpha CD next just to see what the dmesg says.

Thanks,
Bryan