Hardware/System Question

Opie-3
Hi,

  I'm looking for a small system that I can run ftp, web, personal mail and
maybe a build enviroment.  I say small system only due to space requirements.
A normal desktop computer or small would work well.  This is one that I was
looking at but not sure if it would be i386 since it is an embedded chip.  Or
if it would lack the abillity to do what I'm asking.

http://soekris.com/products/net6501.html
and the net5501.

Thanks
Andy

Re: Hardware/System Question

Tomas Bodzar-4
On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 6:02 PM, Opie <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   I'm looking for a small system that I can run ftp, web, personal mail
and
> maybe a build enviroment.  I say small system only due to space
requirements.
> A normal desktop computer or small would work well.  This is one that I
was
> looking at but not sure if it would be i386 since it is an embedded chip.
Or
> if it would lack the abillity to do what I'm asking.
>
> http://soekris.com/products/net6501.html
> and the net5501.

I'm looking for something similar. However Soekris stuff is good, but
quite expensive.

This one seems promising
http://www.viaembedded.com/en/products/minipcs/1850/1/ARTiGO_A1200.html

You can probably build good ones from these
http://www.supermicro.com/products/nfo/atom.cfm#MB , again more
expensive when comparing with typical Atom-based MB, but these have
COM ports, 2xLAN and so on.

Seems like in the end there's not much to choose from :-(

> Thanks
> Andy

Re: Hardware/System Question

Peter Laufenberg
>  I'm looking for a small system that I can run ftp, web, personal mail and
>maybe a build enviroment.  I say small system only due to space
requirements.
>A normal desktop computer or small would work well.  This is one that I was
>looking at but not sure if it would be i386 since it is an embedded chip.
Or
>if it would lack the abillity to do what I'm asking.
>
>http://soekris.com/products/net6501.html
>and the net5501.

Those seem overkill for ftp/web/mail and underpowered for build, which are
wildly different requirements (and bad idea to combine).

You can get a cheap Alix for the server part, I'm looking at a Gigabyte
GA-H61N-USB3 to build a Mac Mini-like dev box.

-- p

Re: Hardware/System Question

Christian Weisgerber
Opie <[hidden email]> wrote:

>   I'm looking for a small system that I can run ftp, web, personal mail and
> maybe a build enviroment.  I say small system only due to space requirements.
> A normal desktop computer or small would work well.  This is one that I was
> looking at but not sure if it would be i386 since it is an embedded chip.  Or
> if it would lack the abillity to do what I'm asking.
>
> http://soekris.com/products/net6501.html

The net6501 can run OpenBSD/amd64 or OpenBSD/i386.

> and the net5501.

That one is i386 only.

Some Soekris resellers also offer alternative cases.  If you don't
need an expansion card, you may be able to get a case that's about
1/3 smaller than the regular one.

Re: Hardware/System Question

Michał Markowski
I can recommend this one:
http://www.parkytowers.me.uk/thin/hp/t5135/index.shtml
Other HP thin clients should be ok as well.

Michał Markowski

Re: Hardware/System Question

Stuart Henderson
On 2012-06-22, Michał Markowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I can recommend this one:
> http://www.parkytowers.me.uk/thin/hp/t5135/index.shtml
> Other HP thin clients should be ok as well.

They don't appear to be cheap enough to counteract the fact that
performance/spec is probably best described as "optimized for running
as a terminal service client", looks like something a bit newer like
an eee box is only a little more expensive (and comes with a hard drive..)

2012/6/23 Stuart Henderson <[hidden email]>:
> They don't appear to be cheap enough to counteract the fact that
> performance/spec is probably best described as "optimized for running
> as a terminal service client", looks like something a bit newer like
> an eee box is only a little more expensive (and comes with a hard drive..)

Well, my t5135 cost me about 70 pln (ca. 20 usd), so I don't see Eee
box "only a little more exspensive". :) It depends on what performance
you need, but for home file server it's enough - with external hdd it
can easily saturate 100 Mbps link during nfs transfers.

Michał Markowski

Re: Hardware/System Question

Peter Laufenberg
>On 2012-06-22, Michał Markowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I can recommend this one:
>> http://www.parkytowers.me.uk/thin/hp/t5135/index.shtml
>> Other HP thin clients should be ok as well.
>
>They don't appear to be cheap enough to counteract the fact that
>performance/spec is probably best described as "optimized for running
>as a terminal service client", looks like something a bit newer like
>an eee box is only a little more expensive (and comes with a hard drive..)

EeePCs and EeeBoxes have an ExpressGate/Splashtop remote BIOS. Not that other
BIOSes are necessarily cleaner but this one's a stinker for sure.

-- p

On 2012-06-23, Peter <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>On 2012-06-22, Michał Markowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I can recommend this one:
>>> http://www.parkytowers.me.uk/thin/hp/t5135/index.shtml
>>> Other HP thin clients should be ok as well.
>>
>>They don't appear to be cheap enough to counteract the fact that
>>performance/spec is probably best described as "optimized for running
>>as a terminal service client", looks like something a bit newer like
>>an eee box is only a little more expensive (and comes with a hard drive..)
>
> EeePCs and EeeBoxes have an ExpressGate/Splashtop remote BIOS. Not that other
> BIOSes are necessarily cleaner but this one's a stinker for sure.

I don't know specifically about eeeboxes but not all the eeepcs have this bios.
Maybe Optiplex fx160 then? they're cheap at the moment and also small.

Re: Hardware/System Question

Ben Calvert-3
Optiplexes have a reputation for spontaneously letting the magic smoke out of
their own power supply capacitors. hard to recommend unless you have a good
support deal with dell

On Jun 23, 2012, at 10:42 AM, Stuart Henderson <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> They don't appear to be cheap enough to counteract the fact that
>>> performance/spec is probably best described as "optimized for running
>>> as a terminal service client", looks like something a bit newer like
>>> an eee box is only a little more expensive (and comes with a hard
drive..)

>> EeePCs and EeeBoxes have an ExpressGate/Splashtop remote BIOS. Not that
other
>> BIOSes are necessarily cleaner but this one's a stinker for sure.
>
> I don't know specifically about eeeboxes but not all the eeepcs have this
bios.
> Maybe Optiplex fx160 then? they're cheap at the moment and also small.

Re: Hardware/System Question

Tomas Bodzar-4
On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 6:52 PM, Michał Markowski <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> 2012/6/23 Stuart Henderson <[hidden email]>:
>> They don't appear to be cheap enough to counteract the fact that
>> performance/spec is probably best described as "optimized for running
>> as a terminal service client", looks like something a bit newer like
>> an eee box is only a little more expensive (and comes with a hard drive..)
>
> Well, my t5135 cost me about 70 pln (ca. 20 usd), so I don't see Eee
> box "only a little more exspensive". :) It depends on what performance
> you need, but for home file server it's enough - with external hdd it
> can easily saturate 100 Mbps link during nfs transfers.

Do you have some spare? ;-) On Ebay they start from 50USD

On 2012/06/23 11:02, Ben Calvert wrote:
> Optiplexes have a reputation for spontaneously letting the magic smoke out of their own power supply capacitors. hard to recommend unless you have a good support deal with dell

Knowing which way round to hold a soldering iron is a useful skill
if you're dealing with cheap hardware :)

Re: Hardware/System Question

James Shupe-4
On 06/23/2012 01:12 PM, Stuart Henderson wrote:
> On 2012/06/23 11:02, Ben Calvert wrote:
>> Optiplexes have a reputation for spontaneously letting the magic smoke out
of their own power supply capacitors. hard to recommend unless you have a good
support deal with dell

> Knowing which way round to hold a soldering iron is a useful skill
> if you're dealing with cheap hardware :)

While on the subject of cheap hardware........

My test lab is made of a bunch of Wyse 941GXLs I bought on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wyse-Terminals-Lot-of-5-FREE-SHIPPING-/120922782473?p
t=US_Thin_Clients&hash=item1c278f3b09

Mine specifically have Via C3 1Ghz CPUs (i386 only) with 256MB RAM (with
an empty DIMM slot) and I use IDE to CF adapters like these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Compact-Flash-CF-to-3-5-Female-40-Pin-IDE-Bootable-Ad
apter-Converter-Card-/120937687353?pt=US_Drive_Cables_dapters&hash=item1c2872
a939

... (with CF cards, of course) for the boot disks. The cards are kind of
a tight fit, but you can still add a half-length PCI card to the units,
and I have mine populated with these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Intel-PRO-100-Dual-Port-Server-Adapter-9213P-/20
0739620019?pt=US_Internal_Network_Cards&hash=item2ebd0384b3

I haven't had any issues out of any of them, running at times for weeks
on end doing various tasks. They're also silent :)

I spent about $100 on each of them a while back, and prices look to have
come down a good bit since then. A very good purchase, in my opinion.

----

I don't really think these fit your needs very well, but thought I'd
throw these out there while the subject was on cheap hardware. *I'd
personally look at* some of the more current and powerful Mini-ITX
stuff. You can even get LGA1155 Mini-ITX boards nowdays, with i7
processor support for around $75 (Intel BOXDH61DLB3, for example) and
add whatever components you want to it. If you're on a budget, a Celeron
G530 should work and would kill an Atom or E-350 at any task.

Thank you,
--
James Shupe

Re: Hardware/System Question

Michael Lechtermann-3
On 23.06.12 20:12, Stuart Henderson wrote:
> On 2012/06/23 11:02, Ben Calvert wrote:
>> Optiplexes have a reputation for spontaneously letting the magic smoke out of their own power supply capacitors. hard to recommend unless you have a good support deal with dell
>
> Knowing which way round to hold a soldering iron is a useful skill
> if you're dealing with cheap hardware :)

Thats what I did with my SX270s ;-)

Re: Hardware/System Question

Kevin Chadwick-2
> > Optiplexes have a reputation for spontaneously letting the magic smoke out of their own power supply capacitors. hard to recommend unless you have a good support deal with dell
>
> Knowing which way round to hold a soldering iron is a useful skill
> if you're dealing with cheap hardware :)

I keep forgetting that, no wonder I'm a cripple.

Worrying, I have an optiplex connected to my TV which sounds like a
whining stressed capacitor whenever it's first turned on.

Hopefully the damage is always contained.

 Why not do something good every day and install BOINC.