Guidance: How often to update -current?

Theodore Wynnychenko-2
Hello
I have been following -current since (about) 5.6.
At first, I was pretty good.  Probably no more than about 1 month between
updates.
But, life gets in the way...
Recently, I had a prolonged (probably >4-6 month) period where I did not
update, although I have recovered.
Since then, I have been reasonably good, I think.  No more than 2 months
between updates.
This last one seemed not to have too many changes/things I needed to deal
with, and went quickly.

But, this got me thinking (I am better with schedules):  What is a
reasonable amount of time between updates of -current?

I think if I have a firm time limit in my head, I would be better able at
sticking to it.
Just looking for opinions.

Thanks
Ted

Jes

Re: Guidance: How often to update -current?

Jes
On Sat Mar 21, 2020 at 8:59 AM PST, Theodore Wynnychenko wrote:
> But, this got me thinking (I am better with schedules): What is a
> reasonable amount of time between updates of -current?

> Just looking for opinions.

My opinion is at least twice a month if you're following -current.

With that said, People's opinions will vary, and unfortunately you're
unlikely to find consensus here.

-current is meant to be experimental, and if possible I'd recommend
following the stable releases instead - that way you're on a 6 month
schedule.

On 2020-03-21, Theodore Wynnychenko <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello
> I have been following -current since (about) 5.6.
> At first, I was pretty good.  Probably no more than about 1 month between
> updates.
> But, life gets in the way...
> Recently, I had a prolonged (probably >4-6 month) period where I did not
> update, although I have recovered.
> Since then, I have been reasonably good, I think.  No more than 2 months
> between updates.
> This last one seemed not to have too many changes/things I needed to deal
> with, and went quickly.
>
> But, this got me thinking (I am better with schedules):  What is a
> reasonable amount of time between updates of -current?
>
> I think if I have a firm time limit in my head, I would be better able at
> sticking to it.
> Just looking for opinions.
>
> Thanks
> Ted

If you're following -current, it's best to update frequently enough that
you don't have too much bisecting to do to figure out when a bug was
introduced if you happen to bump into one :-)

Re: Guidance: How often to update -current?

Paco Esteban-2
On Sat, 21 Mar 2020, j3s wrote:

> On Sat Mar 21, 2020 at 8:59 AM PST, Theodore Wynnychenko wrote:
> > But, this got me thinking (I am better with schedules): What is a
> > reasonable amount of time between updates of -current?
>
> > Just looking for opinions.
>
> My opinion is at least twice a month if you're following -current.
>
> With that said, People's opinions will vary, and unfortunately you're
> unlikely to find consensus here.
>
> -current is meant to be experimental, and if possible I'd recommend
> following the stable releases instead - that way you're on a 6 month
> schedule.

Some of us use -current daily even for work stuff and rely on it, so
I would not call it experimental.

You may find an occasional glitch here and there, but -current tends to
be pretty stable if you stick to supported hardware.

As for the update schedule, it really depends on your use case.  I
update once a week (sometimes more often), but that's because I do some
work on ports and I want to be sure that, when something fails, is not
because of some out-of-sync problem in my environment, but because of
the port itself or the chair-to-keyboard interface.

--
Paco Esteban.
0x5818130B8A6DBC03

Jes

From https://www.openbsd.org/faq/current.html

>  Aggressive changes are sometimes pushed in this branch, and
>  complications can arise when building the latest code or upgrading
>  from a previous point in time.

Sounds experimental to me, but like I said, do what you like.

If you don't need to run on -current, just stick to the main releases,
that's my point.

Re: Guidance: How often to update -current?

Kevin Chadwick-4
My upgrades usually follow chromium pkg upgrades. In fact, I have a script on my phone that greps the chromium pkg version. I test on my own laptop first.