Quantcast

Great experience with 5.8

Bill Sorenson
I have long used OpenBSD on small servers or to run half a dozen Xterms, but
when upgrading an old Optiplex 745 to 5.8, I decided to bite the bullet and
install a desktop. I had always assumed I’d get it running but it would be a
configuration nightmare and I’d have to rebuild menus and fiddle with
settings for eo

Re: Great experience with 5.8

Daniel Villarreal
I use OpenBSD with Xfce for my main Desktop and it's rock-solid, easy to
use, easy to update. Even on my old hardware, it's very smooth.

I'm getting ready to update to 5.8 and also install on an extra hard
drive for another computer here. I'm really looking forward to even more
high-quality computing with OpenBSD.

regards,
Daniel Villarreal
https://ideas2learn.wordpress.com/

On 10/24/15 16:29, Bill Sorenson wrote:
> I have long used OpenBSD on small servers or to run half a dozen Xterms, but
> when upgrading an old Optiplex 745 to 5.8, I decided to bite the bullet and
> install a desktop. I had always assumed I’d get it running but it would be a
> configuration nightmare and I’d have to rebuild menus and fiddle with
> settings for eo

Re: Great experience with 5.8

Bill Sorenson
My original post seems to have been truncated.
On Oct 24, 2015 4:46 PM, "Daniel Villarreal" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I use OpenBSD with Xfce for my main Desktop and it's rock-solid, easy to
> use, easy to update. Even on my old hardware, it's very smooth.
>
> I'm getting ready to update to 5.8 and also install on an extra hard
> drive for another computer here. I'm really looking forward to even more
> high-quality computing with OpenBSD.
>
> regards,
> Daniel Villarreal
> https://ideas2learn.wordpress.com/
>
> On 10/24/15 16:29, Bill Sorenson wrote:
>
>> I have long used OpenBSD on small servers or to run half a dozen Xterms,
>> but
>> when upgrading an old Optiplex 745 to 5.8, I decided to bite the bullet
>> and
>> install a desktop. I had always assumed I’d get it running but it would
>> be a
>> configuration nightmare and I’d have to rebuild menus and fiddle with
>> settings for eo

Re: Great experience with 5.8

Bill Sorenson
Here is my repaired post - Sorry !

I have long used OpenBSD on small servers or to run half a dozen Xterms,
but when upgrading an old Optiplex 745 to 5.8, I decided to bite the bullet
and install a desktop. I had always assumed I’d get it running but it would
be a configuration nightmare and I’d have to rebuild menus and fiddle with
settings for eons and that nothing would ever work quite right. I'm pleased
to say that my assumptions were completely wrong. It took less than half an
hour to install XFCE4 and configure everything perfectly, including
downloading packages. There was no esoteric configuration necessary, just
basic common sense things.

I'm sold on the OpenBSD desktop.

-Bill Sorenson

On Sat, Oct 24, 2015 at 4:50 PM, Bill Sorenson <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> My original post seems to have been truncated.
> On Oct 24, 2015 4:46 PM, "Daniel Villarreal" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> I use OpenBSD with Xfce for my main Desktop and it's rock-solid, easy to
>> use, easy to update. Even on my old hardware, it's very smooth.
>>
>> I'm getting ready to update to 5.8 and also install on an extra hard
>> drive for another computer here. I'm really looking forward to even more
>> high-quality computing with OpenBSD.
>>
>> regards,
>> Daniel Villarreal
>> https://ideas2learn.wordpress.com/
>>
>> On 10/24/15 16:29, Bill Sorenson wrote:
>>
>>> I have long used OpenBSD on small servers or to run half a dozen Xterms,
>>> but
>>> when upgrading an old Optiplex 745 to 5.8, I decided to bite the bullet
>>> and
>>> install a desktop. I had always assumed I’d get it running but it would
>>> be a
>>> configuration nightmare and I’d have to rebuild menus and fiddle with
>>> settings for eo

Re: Great experience with 5.8

Jay Patel-7
Lumina DE is also worth a try... :) been rocking it on 5.8