Got my Alphastation 500/400

Bryan C. Everly-2
Hi all,

My Alphastation 500/400 showed up today and I was able to boot the serial
console on it.  It seems to have 64MB DIMMs in it (total of 4) so I would
think it has 256 MB of RAM but from the SRM console, when I do a "show
memory" it only shows 64 MB.  Is it talking about the size of the DIMM in
that command or the total memory on the box?  This is all new to me so any
help you can provide would be great.

Also, any recommendations on a SCSI drive for this?  It has a SCSI CDROM on
it so I can install from there.  Also, the network card in it has both a
BNC connector and an rj45 as well and appears to be recognized by SRM when
I do a "show devices" command.

Any nudges in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Bryan

Re: Got my Alphastation 500/400

Tobias Ulmer
On Thu, Nov 05, 2015 at 04:19:58PM -0500, Bryan C. Everly wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> My Alphastation 500/400 showed up today and I was able to boot the serial
> console on it.  It seems to have 64MB DIMMs in it (total of 4) so I would
> think it has 256 MB of RAM but from the SRM console, when I do a "show
> memory" it only shows 64 MB.  Is it talking about the size of the DIMM in
> that command or the total memory on the box?  This is all new to me so any
> help you can provide would be great.
>
> Also, any recommendations on a SCSI drive for this?  It has a SCSI CDROM on
> it so I can install from there.  Also, the network card in it has both a
> BNC connector and an rj45 as well and appears to be recognized by SRM when
> I do a "show devices" command.

If there are no physical constraints, just get a 50pin to SCA adapter
and put a SCA type disk in. Cheap and plenty. If noise is a concern, the
Fujitsu 10k rpm types seem to be a good choice.

Some very old machines can be picky about which disk they talk to, but
in general scsi is very backwards compatible.

> Any nudges in the right direction would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Bryan

Re: Got my Alphastation 500/400

Bryan C. Everly-2
Thanks everyone!  I've ordered a drive and it should be here in a few days.

Thanks,
Bryan