Google Summer of Code

Karl Sjodahl - dunceor-2
Google is doing their Summer of code this year also and since OpenBSD missed
it last year I thought maybe some official would wanted to sign up OpenBSD.
The site is: http://code.google.com/summerofcode.html

I'm not a student myself but I think this is a great way to get new people
to contribute to the project.

// Dunceor

Re: Google Summer of Code

Robert Nagy
I don't think so. In some cases the GSoC was not a real success.
Just check the mozilla SoC. People create broken stuff and wanted
their money. Then they just disappeared.
OpenBSD wants people who love to hack on stuff and not just hack
because of the money they can get after the work is done.

Re: Google Summer of Code

Karl Sjodahl - dunceor-2
On 4/16/06, Robert Nagy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don't think so. In some cases the GSoC was not a real success.
> Just check the mozilla SoC. People create broken stuff and wanted
> their money. Then they just disappeared.
> OpenBSD wants people who love to hack on stuff and not just hack
> because of the money they can get after the work is done.

I can understand this but with creating broken stuff is more because of
crappy tutoring and broken stuff should never be imported.
Don't we have any developers that are student that can use SoC to get
funding to hack over the summer?

Of course they should hack for the love of it but people can't eat love. If
this means a dedicated user can be able to hack and improve OpenBSD code for
free a whole summer I think it should be consider.
In the end, OpenBSD does not lose a thing to sign up as a mentor
organization because in the end OpenBSD still have to approve the student
and if you feel that the people submiting proposals arn't good enough just
reject the proposal.

I can understand that developers don't have time to tutor a person.

Well it was just a suggestion so if any of the developers feel that this is
a nice thing they should submit OpenBSD as a mentor organization.

Thanks.

// Dunceor

Re: Google Summer of Code

Constantine A. Murenin
On 16/04/06, Robert Nagy <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I don't think so. In some cases the GSoC was not a real success.
> Just check the mozilla SoC. People create broken stuff and wanted
> their money. Then they just disappeared.
> OpenBSD wants people who love to hack on stuff and not just hack
> because of the money they can get after the work is done.

Mozdev have accepted wrong proposals, stuff that no-one was interested
in, or stuff that was impossible to complete by one person in one
summer. And after all, mozilla.org was not involved, only mozdev.org
was, and that was a huge difference IMHO.

From what I saw on NetBSD web-pages a while ago, there were quite some
useful outcomes of the SoC 2005. Gerv's blog also reveals one other
SoC participant that stayed with his mentoring organisation and was
given 'official member' status sometime thereafter.

Cheers,
Constantine.

Re: Google Summer of Code

Pedro Martelletto
Too bad summer is gone...

-p.

Re: Google Summer of Code

Constantine A. Murenin
On 16/04/06, Pedro Martelletto <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Too bad summer is gone...

yep, they have to think of localising the name. :)

Re: Google Summer of Code

Pedro Martelletto
Indeed. If the intention was to only cover northern countries, "Summer
of Cold" might have been a more appropriate name. :-)

-p.