Google SoC 2012 is accepting open source organisations

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
31 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Google SoC 2012 is accepting open source organisations

Loganaden Velvindron-2
I came across this:
http://google-opensource.blogspot.com/2012/02/mentoring-organization-applications-now.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+GoogleOpenSourceBlog+%28Google+Open+Source+Blog%29

The deadline is the 29th.

I'd be interested in accelerating the port of capsicum :-)

//Logan
C-x-C-c
--
Brightest day,
Blackest night,
No bug shall escape my sight,
And those who worship evil's mind,
be wary of my powers,
puffy lantern's light !

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Google SoC 2012 is accepting open source organisations

Tomas Bodzar-4
On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 6:34 AM, Loganaden Velvindron
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I came across this:
> http://google-opensource.blogspot.com/2012/02/mentoring-organization-applications-now.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+GoogleOpenSourceBlog+%28Google+Open+Source+Blog%29
>
> The deadline is the 29th.
>
> I'd be interested in accelerating the port of capsicum :-)

Check archives like
http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&w=2&r=1&s=Google+Summer+of+code&q=b ,
OpenBSD tried to apply at least two times or so, but was not chosen.

The question is if there's real potential in that for some really new
stuff. Personally I think that developers which hacks in their free
time work on needed features anyway even without GSoC and probably
don't have free summer because of that and regular job (but probably
money from GSoC may be of some use for them as for anyone). Then
there's quality - OpenBSD model proved during years that really only
skilled people (or those which want to be skilled) are getting inside
dev team and we can use high quality results of that. Seems like
OpenBSD has much more higher standards for quality of code,
documentation and skills of programmers then GSoC can offer most of
the times.

Examples of outputs related to BSD are eg. here:

http://blog.netbsd.org/tnf/entry/posix_spawn_syscall_added
http://www.shiningsilence.com/dbsdlog/2011/09/15/8368.html

but when testing those you can see that they are mostly not so stable
as OpenBSD wants. Here something gets implemented when it's really
ready and stable as much as possible. This doesn't seems to be same
for GSoC results. Style is something like
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Release_early,_release_often

>
> //Logan
> C-x-C-c
> --
> Brightest day,
> Blackest night,
> No bug shall escape my sight,
> And those who worship evil's mind,
> be wary of my powers,
> puffy lantern's light !

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Google SoC 2012 is accepting open source organisations

Jiri B-2
On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 08:35:03AM +0100, Tomas Bodzar wrote:

> The question is if there's real potential in that for some really new
> stuff. Personally I think that developers which hacks in their free
> time work on needed features anyway even without GSoC and probably
> don't have free summer because of that and regular job (but probably
> money from GSoC may be of some use for them as for anyone). Then
> there's quality - OpenBSD model proved during years that really only
> skilled people (or those which want to be skilled) are getting inside
> dev team and we can use high quality results of that. Seems like
> OpenBSD has much more higher standards for quality of code,
> documentation and skills of programmers then GSoC can offer most of
> the times.

If anybody knows coding and has freetime, then ipv6 for portmapper and
thus later nfs :) As OpenBSD does have NAT64 and other nice ipv6
features by default, it would be nice to have network filesystem :)

jirib

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Google SoC 2012 is accepting open source organisations

Tomas Bodzar-4
On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 8:47 AM, Jiri B <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 08:35:03AM +0100, Tomas Bodzar wrote:
>> The question is if there's real potential in that for some really new
>> stuff. Personally I think that developers which hacks in their free
>> time work on needed features anyway even without GSoC and probably
>> don't have free summer because of that and regular job (but probably
>> money from GSoC may be of some use for them as for anyone). Then
>> there's quality - OpenBSD model proved during years that really only
>> skilled people (or those which want to be skilled) are getting inside
>> dev team and we can use high quality results of that. Seems like
>> OpenBSD has much more higher standards for quality of code,
>> documentation and skills of programmers then GSoC can offer most of
>> the times.
>
> If anybody knows coding and has freetime, then ipv6 for portmapper and
> thus later nfs :) As OpenBSD does have NAT64 and other nice ipv6
> features by default, it would be nice to have network filesystem :)

You know that feature is filesystem in cloud where you can access your
data via social interface :P :D

>
> jirib

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Google SoC 2012 is accepting open source organisations

Loganaden Velvindron-2
In reply to this post by Tomas Bodzar-4
On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 11:35 AM, Tomas Bodzar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 6:34 AM, Loganaden Velvindron
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I came across this:
>> http://google-opensource.blogspot.com/2012/02/mentoring-organization-applications-now.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+GoogleOpenSourceBlog+%28Google+Open+Source+Blog%29
>>
>> The deadline is the 29th.
>>
>> I'd be interested in accelerating the port of capsicum :-)
>
> Check archives like
> http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&w=2&r=1&s=Google+Summer+of+code&q=b ,
> OpenBSD tried to apply at least two times or so, but was not chosen.
>
> The question is if there's real potential in that for some really new
> stuff. Personally I think that developers which hacks in their free
> time work on needed features anyway even without GSoC and probably
> don't have free summer because of that and regular job (but probably
> money from GSoC may be of some use for them as for anyone). Then
> there's quality - OpenBSD model proved during years that really only
> skilled people (or those which want to be skilled) are getting inside
> dev team and we can use high quality results of that. Seems like
> OpenBSD has much more higher standards for quality of code,
> documentation and skills of programmers then GSoC can offer most of
> the times.
>
> Examples of outputs related to BSD are eg. here:
>
> http://blog.netbsd.org/tnf/entry/posix_spawn_syscall_added
> http://www.shiningsilence.com/dbsdlog/2011/09/15/8368.html
>
> but when testing those you can see that they are mostly not so stable
> as OpenBSD wants. Here something gets implemented when it's really
> ready and stable as much as possible. This doesn't seems to be same
> for GSoC results. Style is something like
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Release_early,_release_often
>
>>
>> //Logan
>> C-x-C-c
>> --
>> Brightest day,
>> Blackest night,
>> No bug shall escape my sight,
>> And those who worship evil's mind,
>> be wary of my powers,
>> puffy lantern's light !
>>

Ok, instead of at least trying something, we're not going to do anything,
Why ? because, the intermediate results is crap.

--
Brightest day,
Blackest night,
No bug shall escape my sight,
And those who worship evil's mind,
be wary of my powers,
puffy lantern's light !

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Google SoC 2012 is accepting open source organisations

Claudio Jeker
On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 02:33:33PM +0400, Loganaden Velvindron wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 11:35 AM, Tomas Bodzar <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 6:34 AM, Loganaden Velvindron
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> I came across this:
> >> http://google-opensource.blogspot.com/2012/02/mentoring-organization-applications-now.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+GoogleOpenSourceBlog+%28Google+Open+Source+Blog%29
> >>
> >> The deadline is the 29th.
> >>
> >> I'd be interested in accelerating the port of capsicum :-)
> >
> > Check archives like
> > http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&w=2&r=1&s=Google+Summer+of+code&q=b ,
> > OpenBSD tried to apply at least two times or so, but was not chosen.
> >
> > The question is if there's real potential in that for some really new
> > stuff. Personally I think that developers which hacks in their free
> > time work on needed features anyway even without GSoC and probably
> > don't have free summer because of that and regular job (but probably
> > money from GSoC may be of some use for them as for anyone). Then
> > there's quality - OpenBSD model proved during years that really only
> > skilled people (or those which want to be skilled) are getting inside
> > dev team and we can use high quality results of that. Seems like
> > OpenBSD has much more higher standards for quality of code,
> > documentation and skills of programmers then GSoC can offer most of
> > the times.
> >
> > Examples of outputs related to BSD are eg. here:
> >
> > http://blog.netbsd.org/tnf/entry/posix_spawn_syscall_added
> > http://www.shiningsilence.com/dbsdlog/2011/09/15/8368.html
> >
> > but when testing those you can see that they are mostly not so stable
> > as OpenBSD wants. Here something gets implemented when it's really
> > ready and stable as much as possible. This doesn't seems to be same
> > for GSoC results. Style is something like
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Release_early,_release_often
> >
> >>
> >> //Logan
> >> C-x-C-c
> >> --
> >> Brightest day,
> >> Blackest night,
> >> No bug shall escape my sight,
> >> And those who worship evil's mind,
> >> be wary of my powers,
> >> puffy lantern's light !
> >>
>
> Ok, instead of at least trying something, we're not going to do anything,
> Why ? because, the intermediate results is crap.
>

The main reason why there is no OpenBSD GSoC project is the burocracy
behind it. It is not possible for many of us to sign the contract with
google to be able to participate in the GSoC.

--
:wq Claudio

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Google SoC 2012 is accepting open source organisations

Tomas Bodzar-4
In reply to this post by Loganaden Velvindron-2
On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 11:33 AM, Loganaden Velvindron
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 11:35 AM, Tomas Bodzar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 6:34 AM, Loganaden Velvindron
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I came across this:
>>> http://google-opensource.blogspot.com/2012/02/mentoring-organization-applications-now.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+GoogleOpenSourceBlog+%28Google+Open+Source+Blog%29
>>>
>>> The deadline is the 29th.
>>>
>>> I'd be interested in accelerating the port of capsicum :-)
>>
>> Check archives like
>> http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&w=2&r=1&s=Google+Summer+of+code&q=b ,
>> OpenBSD tried to apply at least two times or so, but was not chosen.
>>
>> The question is if there's real potential in that for some really new
>> stuff. Personally I think that developers which hacks in their free
>> time work on needed features anyway even without GSoC and probably
>> don't have free summer because of that and regular job (but probably
>> money from GSoC may be of some use for them as for anyone). Then
>> there's quality - OpenBSD model proved during years that really only
>> skilled people (or those which want to be skilled) are getting inside
>> dev team and we can use high quality results of that. Seems like
>> OpenBSD has much more higher standards for quality of code,
>> documentation and skills of programmers then GSoC can offer most of
>> the times.
>>
>> Examples of outputs related to BSD are eg. here:
>>
>> http://blog.netbsd.org/tnf/entry/posix_spawn_syscall_added
>> http://www.shiningsilence.com/dbsdlog/2011/09/15/8368.html
>>
>> but when testing those you can see that they are mostly not so stable
>> as OpenBSD wants. Here something gets implemented when it's really
>> ready and stable as much as possible. This doesn't seems to be same
>> for GSoC results. Style is something like
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Release_early,_release_often
>>
>>>
>>> //Logan
>>> C-x-C-c
>>> --
>>> Brightest day,
>>> Blackest night,
>>> No bug shall escape my sight,
>>> And those who worship evil's mind,
>>> be wary of my powers,
>>> puffy lantern's light !
>>>
>
> Ok, instead of at least trying something, we're not going to do anything,
> Why ? because, the intermediate results is crap.

I did not say that ;-) I'm not a developer of OpenBSD, just user so I
can provide only my view on that. Another question is "market share"
because there's not much hype around OpenBSD so it doesn't have
attention like Linux or whatever. No one is saying that people can't
hack on OpenBSD to improve/implement something new. Someone who is
really willing to do that can do that even without big brother behind
him/her. Something similar says Justin Sherrill here
http://bsdtalk.blogspot.com/2012/02/bsdtalk212-justin-sherrill-from.html
(like - not much people which want to hack on something just because
it's fun or because they want to do that, but instead they "need" big
company/money/whatever behind them to be safe).

But again. OpenBSD tried at least two times before to apply, but was
not accepted by Google and what's more important where are emails of
students or developers on Google pages or here in misc@, www@ that
they want to do something for OpenBSD, are willing to do that as part
of GSoC and all they need is some mentor from OpenBSD team (I'm quite
sure that there's a lot of them which can and want to help, but if no
one is asking for help....).

>
> --
> Brightest day,
> Blackest night,
> No bug shall escape my sight,
> And those who worship evil's mind,
> be wary of my powers,
> puffy lantern's light !

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Google SoC 2012 is accepting open source organisations

Jiri B-2
On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 01:21:21PM +0100, Tomas Bodzar wrote:
> I did not say that ;-) I'm not a developer of OpenBSD, just user so I
> can provide only my view on that. Another question is "market share"
> because there's not much hype around OpenBSD so it doesn't have
> attention like Linux or whatever.

Hype...

I found on openbsd.org - Commercial support - Czech company (logios.cz), so
I asked them what kind of support do the provide for OpenBSD.
Well their answer was in mood like 'OpenBSD is dead and lacking all cool
features...' :D

jirib

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Google SoC 2012 is accepting open source organisations

Tomas Bodzar-4
On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 1:50 PM, Jiri B <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 01:21:21PM +0100, Tomas Bodzar wrote:
>> I did not say that ;-) I'm not a developer of OpenBSD, just user so I
>> can provide only my view on that. Another question is "market share"
>> because there's not much hype around OpenBSD so it doesn't have
>> attention like Linux or whatever.
>
> Hype...
>
> I found on openbsd.org - Commercial support - Czech company (logios.cz), so
> I asked them what kind of support do the provide for OpenBSD.
> Well their answer was in mood like 'OpenBSD is dead and lacking all cool
> features...' :D

I was still looking for time to ask them about something similar,
because they are listed as supporter when in fact their page is
clearly Linux-only.

>
> jirib

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Google SoC 2012 is accepting open source organisations

Vitali-6
> I was still looking for time to ask them about something similar,
> because they are listed as supporter when in fact their page is
> clearly Linux-only.
>

Afraid this is only due to a wish to get higher in the search result
list. I've met such "lame clients" a lot before.

>>
>> jirib
>

--
### Coonardoo - PQP8P=P8QP:P0 Q QQP=Q / The Well In The Shadow / Le
Puits
Dans L'Ombre ###

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Google SoC 2012 is accepting open source organisations

Henning Brauer
In reply to this post by Tomas Bodzar-4
* Tomas Bodzar <[hidden email]> [2012-02-29 13:55]:

> On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 1:50 PM, Jiri B <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 01:21:21PM +0100, Tomas Bodzar wrote:
> >> I did not say that ;-) I'm not a developer of OpenBSD, just user so I
> >> can provide only my view on that. Another question is "market share"
> >> because there's not much hype around OpenBSD so it doesn't have
> >> attention like Linux or whatever.
> >
> > Hype...
> >
> > I found on openbsd.org - Commercial support - Czech company (logios.cz), so
> > I asked them what kind of support do the provide for OpenBSD.
> > Well their answer was in mood like 'OpenBSD is dead and lacking all cool
> > features...' :D
>
> I was still looking for time to ask them about something similar,
> because they are listed as supporter when in fact their page is
> clearly Linux-only.

pls drop a mail to www@ then with this bit of info and ask for them to
be removed from support.html.

--
Henning Brauer, [hidden email], [hidden email]
BS Web Services, http://bsws.de, Full-Service ISP
Secure Hosting, Mail and DNS Services. Dedicated Servers, Root to Fully Managed
Henning Brauer Consulting, http://henningbrauer.com/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Google SoC 2012 is accepting open source organisations

Brett Lymn-5
In reply to this post by Tomas Bodzar-4
On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 08:35:03AM +0100, Tomas Bodzar wrote:

>
> Examples of outputs related to BSD are eg. here:
>
> http://blog.netbsd.org/tnf/entry/posix_spawn_syscall_added
> http://www.shiningsilence.com/dbsdlog/2011/09/15/8368.html
>
> but when testing those you can see that they are mostly not so stable
> as OpenBSD wants. Here something gets implemented when it's really
> ready and stable as much as possible. This doesn't seems to be same
> for GSoC results. Style is something like
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Release_early,_release_often
>

Only if you don't look hard enough, wide curses support, lvm support,
tcp pxe boot capability and postscript & pdf output for mandoc were all
GSoC projects that were quite successful, just to name a few.  There are
some very smart and capable people that participate in GSoC with the
right guidance can produce some very good results - OTOH there are some
that even with the best mentoring produce crap.  The project gets money
for taking on a student, the student gets paid to work full time and the
mentor gets a t-shirt for their efforts.  It can be very rewarding when
it all goes right.

--
Brett Lymn
"Warning:
The information contained in this email and any attached files is
confidential to BAE Systems Australia. If you are not the intended
recipient, any use, disclosure or copying of this email or any
attachments is expressly prohibited.  If you have received this email
in error, please notify us immediately. VIRUS: Every care has been
taken to ensure this email and its attachments are virus free,
however, any loss or damage incurred in using this email is not the
sender's responsibility.  It is your responsibility to ensure virus
checks are completed before installing any data sent in this email to
your computer."

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Google SoC 2012 is accepting open source organisations

Theo de Raadt
In reply to this post by Loganaden Velvindron-2
> But again. OpenBSD tried at least two times before to apply, but was
> not accepted by Google

That is false.

We were approached by Google "people" to participate, but we can
find noone in our project who will accept signing their contract.

We told them that was a problem.  They chose not to find a way
around the problem.

That is not the same as what you said, so what you said was false,
yes, what you said was a lie.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Google SoC 2012 is accepting open source organisations

Tomas Bodzar-4
On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 3:04 AM, Theo de Raadt <[hidden email]>
wrote:

>> But again. OpenBSD tried at least two times before to apply, but was
>> not accepted by Google
>
> That is false.
>
> We were approached by Google "people" to participate, but we can
> find noone in our project who will accept signing their contract.
>
> We told them that was a problem. B They chose not to find a way
> around the problem.
>
> That is not the same as what you said, so what you said was false,
> yes, what you said was a lie.

So probably Kenneth lie as well
http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=120661469904489&w=2 ;-) But I don't
think so.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Google SoC 2012 is accepting open source organisations

Theo de Raadt
In reply to this post by Loganaden Velvindron-2
>On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 3:04 AM, Theo de Raadt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> But again. OpenBSD tried at least two times before to apply, but was
>>> not accepted by Google
>>
>> That is false.
>>
>> We were approached by Google "people" to participate, but we can
>> find noone in our project who will accept signing their contract.
>>
>> We told them that was a problem. B They chose not to find a way
>> around the problem.
>>
>> That is not the same as what you said, so what you said was false,
>> yes, what you said was a lie.
>
>So probably Kenneth lie as well
>http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=120661469904489&w=2 ;-) But I don't
>think so.

The OpenBSD Foundation is not the same thing as the OpenBSD Project.

If you are that uneducated, you should perhaps not speak.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Google SoC 2012 is accepting open source organisations

Tomas Bodzar-4
On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 7:06 AM, Theo de Raadt <[hidden email]>
wrote:
>>On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 3:04 AM, Theo de Raadt <[hidden email]>
wrote:

>>>> But again. OpenBSD tried at least two times before to apply, but was
>>>> not accepted by Google
>>>
>>> That is false.
>>>
>>> We were approached by Google "people" to participate, but we can
>>> find noone in our project who will accept signing their contract.
>>>
>>> We told them that was a problem. B They chose not to find a way
>>> around the problem.
>>>
>>> That is not the same as what you said, so what you said was false,
>>> yes, what you said was a lie.
>>
>>So probably Kenneth lie as well
>>http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=120661469904489&w=2 ;-) But I don't
>>think so.
>
> The OpenBSD Foundation is not the same thing as the OpenBSD Project.

I know that difference very well. Snippet from web page "While the
foundation works in close cooperation with the developers of these
wonderful free software projects, it is a separate entity. " Similar
foundations are used because of taxes(mostly) like
http://www.openbsdfoundation.org/donations.html . But people are same
and any question in archives of misc@ was always targeted to those
people. To get info if OpenBSD applied and if not then why or if yes
then why it was not accepted. Of course you or any other developer are
not supposed to answer as this is your project and you do it for fun
or whatever and we use it because it's close enough to our needs.

>
> If you are that uneducated, you should perhaps not speak.

I will be expert in coffin :-) People learn by mistakes a lot of time
so that's why I'm still learning and don't think that I know
everything. Reason why I answered see above.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Google SoC 2012 is accepting open source organisations

Theo de Raadt
In reply to this post by Loganaden Velvindron-2
>On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 7:06 AM, Theo de Raadt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 3:04 AM, Theo de Raadt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>>> But again. OpenBSD tried at least two times before to apply, but was
>>>>> not accepted by Google
>>>>
>>>> That is false.
>>>>
>>>> We were approached by Google "people" to participate, but we can
>>>> find noone in our project who will accept signing their contract.
>>>>
>>>> We told them that was a problem. B They chose not to find a way
>>>> around the problem.
>>>>
>>>> That is not the same as what you said, so what you said was false,
>>>> yes, what you said was a lie.
>>>
>>>So probably Kenneth lie as well
>>>http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=120661469904489&w=2 ;-) But I don't
>>>think so.
>>
>> The OpenBSD Foundation is not the same thing as the OpenBSD Project.
>
>I know that difference very well. Snippet from web page "While the
>foundation works in close cooperation with the developers of these
>wonderful free software projects, it is a separate entity. " Similar
>foundations are used because of taxes(mostly) like
>http://www.openbsdfoundation.org/donations.html . But people are same
>and any question in archives of misc@ was always targeted to those
>people. To get info if OpenBSD applied and if not then why or if yes
>then why it was not accepted. Of course you or any other developer are
>not supposed to answer as this is your project and you do it for fun
>or whatever and we use it because it's close enough to our needs.
>
>>
>> If you are that uneducated, you should perhaps not speak.
>
>I will be expert in coffin :-) People learn by mistakes a lot of time
>so that's why I'm still learning and don't think that I know
>everything. Reason why I answered see above.

That is complete balony and you know it.  The question came down to
who would sign the google paperwork "for OpenBSD".  The Project
cannot.  The Foundation cannot, either.  In the end noone could accept
it.  The personal liability was too great.  Unlike other projects out
there, OpenBSD is not a company able to assume risk and ignore the
consequences.

Google didn't decide against allowing OpenBSD to join their program.

They tried to trap us with legalize, and we didn't take the bait of
assuming that their legalize is just meaningless words.

The rest of what you are saying is wordy mumbo jumbo.

You should become a lawyer.  You've got some of the skills already.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Google SoC 2012 is accepting open source organisations

Kenneth R Westerback
In reply to this post by Tomas Bodzar-4
On Mon, Mar 05, 2012 at 07:04:06AM +0100, Tomas Bodzar wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 3:04 AM, Theo de Raadt <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >> But again. OpenBSD tried at least two times before to apply, but was
> >> not accepted by Google
> >
> > That is false.
> >
> > We were approached by Google "people" to participate, but we can
> > find noone in our project who will accept signing their contract.
> >
> > We told them that was a problem. B They chose not to find a way
> > around the problem.
> >
> > That is not the same as what you said, so what you said was false,
> > yes, what you said was a lie.
>
> So probably Kenneth lie as well
> http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=120661469904489&w=2 ;-) But I don't
> think so.
>

1) The OpenBSD Foundation is NOT OpenBSD.

2) That application never elicited a reply from Google, so no
contract to read or sign was presented or known of.

3) At some later point the required contract was obtained and, as Theo
has said, nobody in the OpenBSD project or at the OpenBSD Foundation
was interested in signing it after reading it.

.... Ken

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Google SoC 2012 is accepting open source organisations

Tomas Bodzar-4
On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 3:27 PM, Kenneth R Westerback
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 05, 2012 at 07:04:06AM +0100, Tomas Bodzar wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 3:04 AM, Theo de Raadt <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> >> But again. OpenBSD tried at least two times before to apply, but was
>> >> not accepted by Google
>> >
>> > That is false.
>> >
>> > We were approached by Google "people" to participate, but we can
>> > find noone in our project who will accept signing their contract.
>> >
>> > We told them that was a problem. B They chose not to find a way
>> > around the problem.
>> >
>> > That is not the same as what you said, so what you said was false,
>> > yes, what you said was a lie.
>>
>> So probably Kenneth lie as well
>> http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=120661469904489&w=2 ;-) But I don't
>> think so.
>>
>
> 1) The OpenBSD Foundation is NOT OpenBSD.
>
> 2) That application never elicited a reply from Google, so no
> contract to read or sign was presented or known of.
>
> 3) At some later point the required contract was obtained and, as Theo
> has said, nobody in the OpenBSD project or at the OpenBSD Foundation
> was interested in signing it after reading it.

Thx for your details about that particular case.

>
> .... Ken

BTW https://groups.google.com/group/google-summer-of-code-discuss/msg/87feaa296ee2792d?pli=1

Now I'm  just curious why they don't have list of NOT accepted
projects anywhere on their sites, but doesn't matter here of course.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Google SoC 2012 is accepting open source organisations

Bob Beck-4
In reply to this post by Kenneth R Westerback
> 1) The OpenBSD Foundation is NOT OpenBSD.
>
> 2) That application never elicited a reply from Google, so no
> contract to read or sign was presented or known of.
>
> 3) At some later point the required contract was obtained and, as Theo
> has said, nobody in the OpenBSD project or at the OpenBSD Foundation
> was interested in signing it after reading it.
>

In a nutshell, I'm the guy who is willing to take on some personal
responsibility
in order to have this happen. However when the contract is put in front of
me and I (as a non USA person) ask questions about it, basically the people at
Google stop answering.  I don't personally blame them, they are techies, they
are trying to do the right thing. However they don't end up in a position where
they are able to talk to anyone at the company about the pitfalls of someone
foreign signing something with USA tax consequences.

Heck as the "supervisor" they want to give me money - an Hororarium. I don't
*want* the money because it causes me problems personally to accept it from
them (and when signing something as a director of a Canadian not for profit
I actually can't legally take it!) and while they seem able to say they will not
give me the money, they can't remove all the parts of the contract about me
taking the money that give me problems.  I would just like to get the interested
student the money.  However it has always bogged down around issues like
this.

Unfortunately this all gets turned into "we don't want to participate in SOC".
this isn't true for all of us. I would be willing to try, and have. it
just has not
been workable for an entity that does not have a legal presence in the
United States.

I'm always willing to try again if this message is read by someone at Google
who can untangle the bureaucracy...

12