Good Quality Microphone for Podcasts compatible with OpenBSD

Good Quality Microphone for Podcasts compatible with OpenBSD

Tom Smyth
Hi All,

just wondering any of you audiophiles who use OpenBSD  do you have
recommended   Microphones / Sound cards / data acquisition interfaces
that would work well with OpenBSD...
any recommendations suggestions welcome ... Sound is not something
I have messed much with OpenBSD... and I may as well ask people in the
know

Thanks and Happy Friday Folks

--
Kindest regards,
Tom Smyth.

Re: Good Quality Microphone for Podcasts compatible with OpenBSD

Andrew Luke Nesbit-2
Hi Tom,

What are you actually doing?  What kind of audio are you processing?

Can you tell us more about your project?

Andrew

On 9 August 2019 19:43:12 BST, Tom Smyth <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>just wondering any of you audiophiles who use OpenBSD  do you have
>recommended   Microphones / Sound cards / data acquisition interfaces
>that would work well with OpenBSD...
>any recommendations suggestions welcome ... Sound is not something
>I have messed much with OpenBSD... and I may as well ask people in the
>know
>
>Thanks and Happy Friday Folks

>Kindest regards,
>Tom Smyth.

Re: Good Quality Microphone for Podcasts compatible with OpenBSD

Mike Hammett
At a minimum, just spoken voice and pipe it to Skype and another web app that collects different podcast participant's audio.

I use a Blue Yeti, but that's on Windows. ;-)

-----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions

Midwest Internet Exchange

The Brothers WISP

What are you actually doing? What kind of audio are you processing?

Can you tell us more about your project?

Andrew

On 9 August 2019 19:43:12 BST, Tom Smyth <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>just wondering any of you audiophiles who use OpenBSD do you have
>recommended Microphones / Sound cards / data acquisition interfaces
>that would work well with OpenBSD...
>any recommendations suggestions welcome ... Sound is not something
>I have messed much with OpenBSD... and I may as well ask people in the
>know
>
>Thanks and Happy Friday Folks
>

>--
>Kindest regards,
>Tom Smyth.

Re: Good Quality Microphone for Podcasts compatible with OpenBSD

Tom Smyth
Hi thanks for your question

Just Chatting with a bunch of people about IT stuff...  I dont think Im
going to be the next boyzone or u2 ...  (though I hear the money is good
if only you make it :)  )
 couple of interviews... possibly some screen share demos of how to get started
at things in OpenBSD..  (for the
people who dont know that man pages exist yet...

Thanks for coming back to me and your interest

On Fri, 9 Aug 2019 at 20:27, U'll Be King Of The Stars
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Tom,
>
> What are you actually doing? What kind of audio are you processing?
>
> Can you tell us more about your project?
>
> Andrew
>
> On 9 August 2019 19:43:12 BST, Tom Smyth <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> just wondering any of you audiophiles who use OpenBSD  do you have
>> recommended   Microphones / Sound cards / data acquisition interfaces
>> that would work well with OpenBSD...
>> any recommendations suggestions welcome ... Sound is not something
>> I have messed much with OpenBSD... and I may as well ask people in the
>> know
>>
>> Thanks and Happy Friday Folks

--
Kindest regards,
Tom Smyth.

Re: Good Quality Microphone for Podcasts compatible with OpenBSD

Samuel Larkin
I have a focusritte scarlett interface which mostly works under openBSD. You could then get a XLR mic such as the Audio Technica AT2020. It is a little more expensive to go that route but makes it easier to upgrade in the future.

Re: Good Quality Microphone for Podcasts compatible with OpenBSD

Andrew Luke Nesbit-2
Why make this complicated?  Get a Shure SM58 and be happy for the rest of your life.

On 11 August 2019 17:22:33 BST, Samuel Larkin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>I have a focusritte scarlett interface which mostly works under
>openBSD. You could then get a XLR mic such as the Audio Technica
>AT2020. It is a little more expensive to go that route but makes it
>easier to upgrade in the future.

Re: Good Quality Microphone for Podcasts compatible with OpenBSD

Tom Smyth
all and every Idea welcome
Thanks for taking the time to give me tips on what sound hardware
works for you ..

On Sun, 11 Aug 2019 at 18:01, U'll Be King Of The Stars
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Why make this complicated? Get a Shure SM58 and be happy for the rest of your life.
>
> On 11 August 2019 17:22:33 BST, Samuel Larkin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I have a focusritte scarlett interface which mostly works under openBSD. You could then get a XLR mic such as the Audio Technica AT2020. It is a little more expensive to go that route but makes it easier to upgrade in the future.

--
Kindest regards,
Tom Smyth.

Re: Good Quality Microphone for Podcasts compatible with OpenBSD

Greg Jones-8
Especially if there is background noise.

On 8/11/19 1:01 PM, U'll Be King Of The Stars wrote:
> Why make this complicated?  Get a Shure SM58 and be happy for the rest of your life.
>
> On 11 August 2019 17:22:33 BST, Samuel Larkin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I have a focusritte scarlett interface which mostly works under
>> openBSD. You could then get a XLR mic such as the Audio Technica
>> AT2020. It is a little more expensive to go that route but makes it
>> easier to upgrade in the future.

Re: Good Quality Microphone for Podcasts compatible with OpenBSD

Kenny Lewis
Hi Samuel,

> I have a focusritte scarlett interface which mostly works
> under openBSD. You could then get a XLR mic such as the
> Audio Technica AT2020. It is a little more expensive to go
> that route but makes it easier to upgrade in the future.

Oh! If I may bug, what Focusrite Scarlett interface is that?
Also what doesn't work under OpenBSD for that device?

Just curious.

Thanks,

Kenny

Re: Good Quality Microphone for Podcasts compatible with OpenBSD

Samuel Larkin
I personally have the 18i8 interface. What doesn't work is the proprietary software that comes with it. The interface works fine as an interface without the software. The software is needed to remap the outputs and change a couple of internal settings. When they are changed on a Windows box the settings are saved internally and persist between OSes.

Re: Good Quality Microphone for Podcasts compatible with OpenBSD

jungle Boogie
Thus said Samuel Larkin <[hidden email]> on Sun, 11 Aug 2019
19:59:19 -0600
> I personally have the 18i8 interface. What doesn't work is the proprietary software that comes with it. The interface works fine as an interface without the software. The software is needed to remap the outputs and change a couple of internal settings. When they are changed on a Windows box the settings are saved internally and persist between OSes.

What are your microphones into the preamp and what software are you
using to record on OpenBSD?

Re: Good Quality Microphone for Podcasts compatible with OpenBSD

Jan Stary
On Aug 11 19:59:19, [hidden email] wrote:
> I personally have the 18i8 interface. What doesn't work is the proprietary software that comes with it. The interface works fine as an interface without the software. The software is needed to remap the outputs and change a couple of internal settings. When they are changed on a Windows box the settings are saved internally and persist between OSes.

Can you please post the mixerctl -av of that?

Have you tried (re)mapping the outputs
with mixerctl's *_source variables?

Jan

On August 11, 2019 10:34:55 PM MDT, jungle boogie <[hidden email]> wrote:
>Thus said Samuel Larkin <[hidden email]> on Sun, 11 Aug 2019
>19:59:19 -0600

>What are your microphones into the preamp

I have an AKG p170 and an AudioTechnica ATM 610. I also have a Nady audio TMP-1 preamp I found at a pawn shop.

I used ardour when recording on linux. I haven't yet decided what I like best on OpenBSD.

On August 12, 2019 6:09:36 AM MDT, Jan Stary <[hidden email]> wrote:
>Can you please post the mixerctl -av of that?
>
>Have you tried (re)mapping the outputs
>with mixerctl's *_source variables?
>
>Jan

I will try this when I get home from work.

Re: Good Quality Microphone for Podcasts compatible with OpenBSD

Thomas Frohwein-2
I've been doing screencasts to Twitch from OpenBSD that improved significantly with the Samson Meteor Mic, a USB Mic. No compatibility issues there, and I'm very pleased with the quality.