Gnash

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
17 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Gnash

Ed Ahlsen-Girard-2
Does anybody use it happily?

--

Edward Ahlsen-Girard
Ft Walton Beach, FL

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gnash

STeve Andre'
On Sunday 22 November 2009 15:04:42 Ed Ahlsen-Girard wrote:
> Does anybody use it happily?
>

No.  It's hideous.  It crashes, hoggs the CPU and in general
is a pain in the ass to use.  I've used it for you tube, but
yt in the ports tree is far better.  For general Flash stuff
you are out of luck.

--STeve

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gnash

Predrag Punosevac-2
In reply to this post by Ed Ahlsen-Girard-2
>Does anybody use it happily?

I used in the past to read RIA novosti news web-site. It became useless
about 6-7 months ago when they upgraded to newer version of Flash.
Gnash is in my experience Flash 7 compatible at best.

On the another hand I am really impressed by swfdec and swfdec-plugin.
You have to have the latest version 8.0 (plugin 8.4) from current.
It works flawlessly (including AMD 64) for YouTube and Google video.
It works somewhat for other web-sites containing Flash (for me the most
important some web interface for Maple computer algebra system). It
is very stable and never crashes the browser but sometimes simply
doesn't render media content.
Swfdec library was supposed to be updated in April but I do not see any
news regarding the newer versions. I feel that swfdec could be very
stable, 100% compatible solution for Flash, in one at most two
major release iterations.

Best,
Predrag

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gnash

Nick Guenther
In reply to this post by Ed Ahlsen-Girard-2
On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 3:04 PM, Ed Ahlsen-Girard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Does anybody use it happily?
>

I'm going to be snippy and say No.

The old youtube player seems to work with it but I haven't come across
a youtube video I've wanted to watch has used that player.

It's coming but not.. yet.
-Nick

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gnash

j4nKy
In reply to this post by Predrag Punosevac-2
On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 10:18:11PM -0500, Predrag Punosevac wrote:

> >Does anybody use it happily?
>
> I used in the past to read RIA novosti news web-site. It became useless
> about 6-7 months ago when they upgraded to newer version of Flash.
> Gnash is in my experience Flash 7 compatible at best.
>
> On the another hand I am really impressed by swfdec and swfdec-plugin.
> You have to have the latest version 8.0 (plugin 8.4) from current.
> It works flawlessly (including AMD 64) for YouTube and Google video.
> It works somewhat for other web-sites containing Flash (for me the most
> important some web interface for Maple computer algebra system). It
> is very stable and never crashes the browser but sometimes simply
> doesn't render media content.
> Swfdec library was supposed to be updated in April but I do not see any
> news regarding the newer versions. I feel that swfdec could be very
> stable, 100% compatible solution for Flash, in one at most two
> major release iterations.

swfdec has memory leaks, afaics.  it has also left my /home full,
with many, many messages in ~/.xsession-errors.

> Best,
> Predrag

--
[hidden email]
SDF Public Access UNIX System - http://sdf.lonestar.org

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gnash

Bryan Brake
On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 19:27, Jacob Meuser <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 10:18:11PM -0500, Predrag Punosevac wrote:
>> >Does anybody use it happily?
>>
>> I used in the past to read RIA novosti news web-site. It became useless
>> about 6-7 months ago when they upgraded to newer version of Flash.
>> Gnash is in my experience Flash 7 compatible at best.

I find installing Firefox with the "DownloadHelper" add-on, and vlc
does me just fine.  You can pull down the videos locally, and watch
them...

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gnash

Marco Peereboom
In reply to this post by Ed Ahlsen-Girard-2
Use and happily with a hamming distance of 2.  I'll just laugh for a
while...

flash is such a cluster but I guess people really need their kids
falling face first onto a slab of concrete videos pretty badly.

On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 02:04:42PM -0600, Ed Ahlsen-Girard wrote:
> Does anybody use it happily?
>
> --
>
> Edward Ahlsen-Girard
> Ft Walton Beach, FL

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gnash

patrick keshishian
On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 7:54 PM, Marco Peereboom <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Use and happily with a hamming distance of 2.  I'll just laugh for a
> while...
>
> flash is such a cluster but I guess people really need their kids
> falling face first onto a slab of concrete videos pretty badly.

not sure about stupid kid videos, but search for "hedgehog carrot" =)

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw-IAYxu5uo

--patrick

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gnash

Tomas Bodzar-4
In reply to this post by Ed Ahlsen-Girard-2
No need for this ...........

http://www.undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20090516144600
http://vixy.net/
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3006
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/446

and similar solutions for Flash movies. In most other cases only
advertisements are in Flash on pages so no need for this. Or games,
but for games you really need original Flash.

On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 9:04 PM, Ed Ahlsen-Girard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Does anybody use it happily?
>
> --
>
> Edward Ahlsen-Girard
> Ft Walton Beach, FL
>
>



--
http://www.openbsd.org/lyrics.html

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gnash

Ed Ahlsen-Girard-2
In reply to this post by Ed Ahlsen-Girard-2
> Use and happily with a hamming distance of 2.  I'll just laugh for a
> while...
>
> flash is such a cluster but I guess people really need their kids
> falling face first onto a slab of concrete videos pretty badly.
>
> On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 02:04:42PM -0600, Ed Ahlsen-Girard wrote:
> > Does anybody use it happily?
> >
> > --
> >
> > Edward Ahlsen-Girard
> > Ft Walton Beach, FL

I want to watch news clips, not play games or watch humorous
bodily injury.


--

Edward Ahlsen-Girard
Ft Walton Beach, FL

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gnash

Ed Ahlsen-Girard-2
In reply to this post by Ed Ahlsen-Girard-2
> No need for this ...........
>
> http://www.undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20090516144600
> http://vixy.net/
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3006
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/446
>
> and similar solutions for Flash movies. In most other cases only
> advertisements are in Flash on pages so no need for this. Or games,
> but for games you really need original Flash.
>
> On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 9:04 PM, Ed Ahlsen-Girard <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > Does anybody use it happily?
> >
> > --
> >
> > Edward Ahlsen-Girard
> > Ft Walton Beach, FL
> >
> >
>

Mplayer seems to play the files nicely without aid.  The difficulty
(for me) is web pages whose response to the lack of a Flash plugin is
is to conceal the filename and insist on offering me a plugin.

--

Edward Ahlsen-Girard
Ft Walton Beach, FL

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

OT:Re: Gnash

openbsd user - misc mailing list
In reply to this post by patrick keshishian
Animal torture videos. I love it!

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 00:12 -0800, "patrick keshishian"
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 7:54 PM, Marco Peereboom <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > Use and happily with a hamming distance of 2.  I'll just laugh for a
> > while...
> >
> > flash is such a cluster but I guess people really need their kids
> > falling face first onto a slab of concrete videos pretty badly.
>
> not sure about stupid kid videos, but search for "hedgehog carrot" =)
>
>     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw-IAYxu5uo
>
> --patrick

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gnash (and alternatives)

Jan Stary
In reply to this post by Predrag Punosevac-2
On Nov 22 22:18:11, Predrag Punosevac wrote:
> On the another hand I am really impressed by swfdec and swfdec-plugin.
> You have to have the latest version 8.0 (plugin 8.4) from current.
> It works flawlessly (including AMD 64) for YouTube and Google video.

Does it also work in Google Finance (providing you with the ubercool
interactive stock graph), or does it break Google Finance by giving
you a grey rectangle instead of the graph?

(On my 4.6-i386 with swfdec-plugin-0.8.2 it's the latter case.)

        Thanks

                Jan

CPB
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gnash

CPB
In reply to this post by Ed Ahlsen-Girard-2
No, its awful.
It got better for a little while, but I can't manage to watch very many
videos live anymore.
I use YouTube pretty much exclusively to listen to music, so I don't
really like having to download stuff I've never heard before just to
decide I don't like it. With a live video I can nix it if I don't like
it after a few seconds.

Chris Bennett

--
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion,
butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance
accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders,
give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new
problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight
efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
   -- Robert Heinlein

CPB
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gnash

CPB
In reply to this post by Predrag Punosevac-2
Predrag Punosevac wrote:

>> Does anybody use it happily?
>>    
>
> I used in the past to read RIA novosti news web-site. It became useless
> about 6-7 months ago when they upgraded to newer version of Flash.
> Gnash is in my experience Flash 7 compatible at best.
>
> On the another hand I am really impressed by swfdec and swfdec-plugin.
> You have to have the latest version 8.0 (plugin 8.4) from current.
>  
I didn't have plugin installed, so I installed it.
But neither -current packages nor ports has plugin at 8.4.
I ended up with swfdec-plugin-0.8.2p0
This version does not work at any sites I tried.

Where is plugin version 8.4 located at?
> It works flawlessly (including AMD 64) for YouTube and Google video.
> It works somewhat for other web-sites containing Flash
>  
Chris

--
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion,
butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance
accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders,
give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new
problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight
efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
   -- Robert Heinlein

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gnash

ropers
> Predrag Punosevac wrote:
>> On the another hand I am really impressed by swfdec and swfdec-plugin.
>> You have to have the latest version 8.0 (plugin 8.4) from current.

2009/11/24 Chris Bennett <[hidden email]>:
> I didn't have plugin installed, so I installed it.
> But neither -current packages nor ports has plugin at 8.4.
> I ended up with swfdec-plugin-0.8.2p0
> This version does not work at any sites I tried.
>
> Where is plugin version 8.4 located at?

According to http://swfdec.freedesktop.org/wiki/#line-33 it doesn't exist.

> Swfdec \\ The current release is 0.8.4.

> Swfdec-Mozilla \\ The current release is 0.8.2.

> Unstable releases that will lead to Swfdec 0.10 in March 2009 can be found at http://swfdec.freedesktop.org/download/swfdec/0.9/ and http://swfdec.freedesktop.org/download/swfdec-mozilla/0.9/

regards,
--ropers

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gnash

Predrag Punosevac-2
In reply to this post by CPB
Chris Bennett <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>
> Predrag Punosevac wrote:
> >> Does anybody use it happily?
> >>    
> >
> > I used in the past to read RIA novosti news web-site. It became useless
> > about 6-7 months ago when they upgraded to newer version of Flash.
> > Gnash is in my experience Flash 7 compatible at best.
> >

I forgot about this old Diana's post.

http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=119765675010299

You asked me about my experience. I told you my experience.



> > On the another hand I am really impressed by swfdec and swfdec-plugin.
> > You have to have the latest version 8.0 (plugin 8.4) from current.
> >  

My bet. It is swfdec version 0.8.4 and the plugin version 0.8.2.



> I didn't have plugin installed, so I installed it.
> But neither -current packages nor ports has plugin at 8.4.
> I ended up with swfdec-plugin-0.8.2p0
> This version does not work at any sites I tried.
>
Very possible. Worked for me only on couple selected sites but when
it works it works rather well. On the another hand did you notice
that Jake said that he thinks that it has memory leak. I would trust
him. He ported swfdec and even patched audio so that it works with OSS.


> Where is plugin version 8.4 located at?
> > It works flawlessly (including AMD 64) for YouTube and Google video.
> > It works somewhat for other web-sites containing Flash
> >  
> Chris
>
> --
> A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion,
> butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance
> accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders,
> give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new
> problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight
> efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
>    -- Robert Heinlein