Getting the right image, to install via USB

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Getting the right image, to install via USB

Henrique N. Lengler
Hi,

I want to install openbsd on my computer via a USB, since I don't
have a unused CD.

I'm in doubt about what image should I download and how can I record
it to a USB using windows.

Could someone please help me?
--
Henrique Lengler

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Getting the right image, to install via USB

Fred
On 12/23/14 18:50, Henrique Lengler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to install openbsd on my computer via a USB, since I don't
> have a unused CD.
>
> I'm in doubt about what image should I download and how can I record
> it to a USB using windows.
>
> Could someone please help me?

http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html

Is a good place to start reading.

The OpenBSD philosophy is about helping yourself - the official FAQ and
the documentation that comes with OpenBSD is excellent.

OpenBSD developers consider mistakes in the documentation as bugs - and
fix them proactively - like all bugs.

If you are ready for OpenBSD then you need to help yourself.

hth

Fred

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Getting the right image, to install via USB

John Merriam
In reply to this post by Henrique N. Lengler
On Tue, 23 Dec 2014, Henrique Lengler wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to install openbsd on my computer via a USB, since I don't
> have a unused CD.
>
> I'm in doubt about what image should I download and how can I record
> it to a USB using windows.
>
> Could someone please help me?
> --
> Henrique Lengler
>
>

As mentioned in section 4.3 of the OpenBSD FAQ, you would want the
install56.fs file if you want to write it to a USB drive.  To write it to
a USB drive in Windows you would need a program like dd to do it.

There is a Windows dd program here:

http://www.chrysocome.net/dd

I have never used it before.  Based on a quick scan of that web page I
would say you should be very careful what arguments you pass to that dd
program at chrysocome.net since it looks like it would be easy to wipe out
the hard drive of the Windows machine you are using to prepare the USB
drive.

There might or might not be a better alternative to the dd program at
chrysocome.net out there on the internet.

--

John Merriam

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Getting the right image, to install via USB

Maurice McCarthy
On 2014-12-23 19:16, John Merriam wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Dec 2014, Henrique Lengler wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I want to install openbsd on my computer via a USB, since I don't
>> have a unused CD.
>>
>> I'm in doubt about what image should I download and how can I record
>> it to a USB using windows.
>>
>> Could someone please help me?
>> --
>> Henrique Lengler
>>
>>
>
> As mentioned in section 4.3 of the OpenBSD FAQ, you would want the
> install56.fs file if you want to write it to a USB drive.  To write
> it to
> a USB drive in Windows you would need a program like dd to do it.
>
> There is a Windows dd program here:
>
> http://www.chrysocome.net/dd
>
> I have never used it before.  Based on a quick scan of that web page
> I
> would say you should be very careful what arguments you pass to that
> dd
> program at chrysocome.net since it looks like it would be easy to
> wipe out
> the hard drive of the Windows machine you are using to prepare the
> USB
> drive.
>
> There might or might not be a better alternative to the dd program at
> chrysocome.net out there on the internet.


Advice on using dd for windows

https://susestudio.com/help/use/disk-image.html#the_hard_way

Moss

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Getting the right image, to install via USB

Henrique N. Lengler
On 2014-12-23 19:46, Maurice McCarthy wrote:
> Advice on using dd for windows
>
> https://susestudio.com/help/use/disk-image.html#the_hard_way
>
> Moss

I tried three times and I got this message when boot the USB:

Using drive 0, partition 3.
...
...
...

and still repeating

Regards,

--
Henrique Lengler

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[solved] Re: Getting the right image, to install via USB

Henrique N. Lengler
On 2014-12-23 20:11, Henrique Lengler wrote:

> On 2014-12-23 19:46, Maurice McCarthy wrote:
>> Advice on using dd for windows
>>
>> https://susestudio.com/help/use/disk-image.html#the_hard_way
>>
>> Moss
>
> I tried three times and I got this message when boot the USB:
>
> Using drive 0, partition 3.
> ...
> ...
> ...
>
> and still repeating
>
> Regards,

Done with Win32 Disk Imager

Regards,
--
Henrique Lengler

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [solved] Re: Getting the right image, to install via USB

Maurice McCarthy
On 2014-12-23 22:34, Henrique Lengler wrote:

>
> Done with Win32 Disk Imager
>
> Regards,

Excellent. Good Luck

Moss