Quantcast

GUI

Bryan C. Everly-2
Hi

I have a SunBlade 100 with 2G of RAM that I am running OpenBSD on. I
recently tried to fire up a desktop and figured that i3 would be
lightweight enough but I can't get it to respond to the keyboard. I
then tried xfce4 and it crashes on startup.

Any suggestions/recommendations?

Thanks,
Bryan

Re: GUI

Stuart Henderson-6
On 2015/09/12 09:39, Bryan Everly wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have a SunBlade 100 with 2G of RAM that I am running OpenBSD on. I
> recently tried to fire up a desktop and figured that i3 would be
> lightweight enough but I can't get it to respond to the keyboard. I
> then tried xfce4 and it crashes on startup.
>
> Any suggestions/recommendations?
>
> Thanks,
> Bryan

If you're using xdm, did you follow /usr/X11R6/README and disable the
getty on /dev/console?

Re: GUI

Bryan C. Everly-2
I'm not using xdm. Just firing it up with startx. I was able to get
cwm and awesome working but I would really prefer i3 if I can get it
to work.

Thanks,
Bryan

> On Sep 12, 2015, at 10:30 AM, Stuart Henderson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 2015/09/12 09:39, Bryan Everly wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I have a SunBlade 100 with 2G of RAM that I am running OpenBSD on. I
>> recently tried to fire up a desktop and figured that i3 would be
>> lightweight enough but I can't get it to respond to the keyboard. I
>> then tried xfce4 and it crashes on startup.
>>
>> Any suggestions/recommendations?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Bryan
>
> If you're using xdm, did you follow /usr/X11R6/README and disable the
> getty on /dev/console?

Re: GUI

Juan Francisco Cantero Hurtado
On Sat, Sep 12, 2015 at 09:39:46AM -0400, Bryan Everly wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a SunBlade 100 with 2G of RAM that I am running OpenBSD on. I
> recently tried to fire up a desktop and figured that i3 would be
> lightweight enough but I can't get it to respond to the keyboard. I
> then tried xfce4 and it crashes on startup.
>
> Any suggestions/recommendations?

You could report your problem with the keyboard to the i3
developers. Long time ago, dcoppa@ and I modified the i3 wizard to
recognize some keys on OpenBSD. Probably your problem is pretty
similar.

--
Juan Francisco Cantero Hurtado http://juanfra.info