GROUP CHANGED

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

GROUP CHANGED

Max Power
Thank You Gilles for Your reply.

Only the group is changed.
But why the owner is remained the same [root]?
On OpenBSD, I can not get root:root ?

Thanks.

> On Sun, Jun 14, 2015 at 04:32:18PM +0200, Max Power wrote:
>> Hi guys!
>>
>> I copied my files from Debian [ext4] to my new server OpenBSD [5.7
>> amd64],
>> and I found that all files of 'ROOT' group were imported [in OpenBSD] in
>> the 'Wheel' group.
>> Why is this?
>>
>> [Owner is the same, there is no change.]
>>
>> Thank fro reply.
>>
>
> wheel is the new root.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheel_(Unix_term)
>
> --
> Gilles Chehade
>
> https://www.poolp.org                                          @poolpOrg

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GROUP CHANGED

Mike Burns
On 2015-06-14 16.46.53 +0200, Max Power wrote:
> Only the group is changed.
> But why the owner is remained the same [root]?
> On OpenBSD, I can not get root:root ?

No:

$ grep ^root /etc/group
$

> > On Sun, Jun 14, 2015 at 04:32:18PM +0200, Max Power wrote:
> >> Hi guys!
> >>
> >> I copied my files from Debian [ext4] to my new server OpenBSD [5.7
> >> amd64],
> >> and I found that all files of 'ROOT' group were imported [in OpenBSD] in
> >> the 'Wheel' group.
> >> Why is this?
> >>
> >> [Owner is the same, there is no change.]
> >>
> >> Thank fro reply.
> >>
> >
> > wheel is the new root.
> >
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheel_(Unix_term)
> >
> > --
> > Gilles Chehade
> >
> > https://www.poolp.org                                          @poolpOrg

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GROUP CHANGED

Bernd Schoeller-2
In reply to this post by Max Power
Groups and users are actually just numbers, the mapping to names happens
in the /etc/passwd and /etc/group files.

On Linux, user 0 is 'root' and group 0 is 'root'.

On BSDs, user 0 is 'root', but group 0 is 'wheel'.

Check the /etc/group file on both systems, and you will see.

Bernd

On 14/06/15 15:46, Max Power wrote:

> Thank You Gilles for Your reply.
>
> Only the group is changed.
> But why the owner is remained the same [root]?
> On OpenBSD, I can not get root:root ?
>
> Thanks.
>
>> On Sun, Jun 14, 2015 at 04:32:18PM +0200, Max Power wrote:
>>> Hi guys!
>>>
>>> I copied my files from Debian [ext4] to my new server OpenBSD [5.7
>>> amd64],
>>> and I found that all files of 'ROOT' group were imported [in OpenBSD] in
>>> the 'Wheel' group.
>>> Why is this?
>>>
>>> [Owner is the same, there is no change.]
>>>
>>> Thank fro reply.
>>>
>>
>> wheel is the new root.
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheel_(Unix_term)
>>
>> --
>> Gilles Chehade
>>
>> https://www.poolp.org                                          @poolpOrg

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GROUP CHANGED

Marc Espie-2
In reply to this post by Max Power
On Sun, Jun 14, 2015 at 04:46:53PM +0200, Max Power wrote:
> Thank You Gilles for Your reply.
>
> Only the group is changed.
> But why the owner is remained the same [root]?
> On OpenBSD, I can not get root:root ?

Tradition.

Note that the description of "wheel" characteristics
in FSF's Linux used to be hilarious.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GROUP CHANGED

andrew fabbro
On Sun, Jun 14, 2015 at 10:17 AM, Marc Espie <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Note that the description of "wheel" characteristics
> in FSF's Linux used to be hilarious.
>

Yes, it was on the su(1) man page...it's still in their docs:

http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/manual/html_node/su-invocation.html#index-fascism-2365

So welcome to the oppressive, totalitarian regime of *BSD.  If you've got
root, be sure to claim your free pair of hobnailed boots to place on the
necks of your users.  CEMENT THE POWER!

--
andrew fabbro
[hidden email]
blog: https://raindog308.com

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GROUP CHANGED

Rick Hanson
From the linux su man page:

> This version of su uses PAM for authentication, account and session
> management.  Some configuration options found in other su
> implementations, such as support for a wheel group, have to be
> configured via PAM.

So, you see, the jack-booted thug "rulers" have already "cement[ed]
the[ir] power" in GNU/Linux.  O Freedom!  We knew ye not as our
fathers did, who roamed without fetters on the Twenex fields of yore!
;)

On Sun, Jun 14, 2015 at 6:14 PM, andrew fabbro <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> Yes, it was on the su(1) man page...it's still in their docs:
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/manual/html_node/su-invocation.html#index-fascism-2365
>
> So welcome to the oppressive, totalitarian regime of *BSD.  If you've got
> root, be sure to claim your free pair of hobnailed boots to place on the
> necks of your users.  CEMENT THE POWER!
>
> --
> andrew fabbro
> [hidden email]
> blog: https://raindog308.com

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GROUP CHANGED

Joel Rees-2
My memories of Debiandora are fading slightly, but, ...

2015/06/15 8:53 "Rick Hanson" <[hidden email]>:

>
> From the linux su man page:
>
> > This version of su uses PAM for authentication, account and session
> > management.  Some configuration options found in other su
> > implementations, such as support for a wheel group, have to be
> > configured via PAM.
>
> So, you see, the jack-booted thug "rulers" have already "cement[ed]
> the[ir] power" in GNU/Linux.  O Freedom!  We knew ye not as our
> fathers did, who roamed without fetters on the Twenex fields of yore!
> ;)
>
> On Sun, Jun 14, 2015 at 6:14 PM, andrew fabbro <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Yes, it was on the su(1) man page...it's still in their docs:
> >
> >
http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/manual/html_node/su-invocation.html#index-fascism-2365
> >
> > So welcome to the oppressive, totalitarian regime of *BSD.  If you've
got
> > root, be sure to claim your free pair of hobnailed boots to place on the
> > necks of your users.  CEMENT THE POWER!

... I think the numeric id for wheel group in Linux is not 0.

Which is relevant to the OP's misplaced concerns.

(Not to mention the topic of power grabs.)

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GROUP CHANGED

Eric Furman-3
In reply to this post by andrew fabbro
On Sun, Jun 14, 2015, at 06:14 PM, andrew fabbro wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 14, 2015 at 10:17 AM, Marc Espie <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Note that the description of "wheel" characteristics
> > in FSF's Linux used to be hilarious.
> >
>
> Yes, it was on the su(1) man page...it's still in their docs:
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/manual/html_node/su-invocation.html#index-fascism-2365
>
> So welcome to the oppressive, totalitarian regime of *BSD.  If you've got
> root, be sure to claim your free pair of hobnailed boots to place on the
> necks of your users.  CEMENT THE POWER!

This is all you need to know;
"(This section is by Richard Stallman.)"

Or, "Warning; delusional nut job about to pontificate."

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GROUP CHANGED

Theo de Raadt
In reply to this post by Max Power
> > Yes, it was on the su(1) man page...it's still in their docs:
> >
> > http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/manual/html_node/su-invocation.html#index-fascism-2365
> >
> > So welcome to the oppressive, totalitarian regime of *BSD.  If you've got
> > root, be sure to claim your free pair of hobnailed boots to place on the
> > necks of your users.  CEMENT THE POWER!
>
> This is all you need to know;
> "(This section is by Richard Stallman.)"
>
> Or, "Warning; delusional nut job about to pontificate."

Well there is this funny story about when I hacked into RMS's
firmware-driven keyboard controller, and managed to grap his root
password.

Later there was another user (who obviously should never have root),
but since there was no wheel group.....

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GROUP CHANGED

Joel Rees-2
In reply to this post by Mike Burns
An idle mind is the devil's workshop.

On Sun, Jun 14, 2015 at 11:54 PM, Mike Burns
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 2015-06-14 16.46.53 +0200, Max Power wrote:
>> Only the group is changed.
>> But why the owner is remained the same [root]?
>> On OpenBSD, I can not get root:root ?
>
> No:
>
> $ grep ^root /etc/group
> $

Well, sure he can.

We're just pretty sure he doesn't want to go to the trouble of adding
a group named root, with or without the -o option.

>:;-))

For what it's worth, I did a groupadd -o -g 0 root ; and then edited
/etc/group to put the root group ahead of the wheel group, and I got
the owner:group he expected from ls -l / ;

I deleted the new root group immediately because I don't want to know
what might break or how by gaming the system like that for now good
reason.

I guess I need to get up the courage to boot my custom kernel with the
experiment GPT support and see what happens, instead of making useless
noise on misc@ .

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GROUP CHANGED

Raimo Niskanen-7
In reply to this post by Joel Rees-2
On Mon, Jun 15, 2015 at 09:53:56AM +0900, Joel Rees wrote:
> My memories of Debiandora are fading slightly, but, ...
:
> ... I think the numeric id for wheel group in Linux is not 0.

At least on Ubuntu 12.04 there is no wheel group and the numeric id for the
root group is 0.


>
> Which is relevant to the OP's misplaced concerns.
>
> (Not to mention the topic of power grabs.)

--

/ Raimo Niskanen, Erlang/OTP, Ericsson AB

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GROUP CHANGED

Liviu Daia-3
On 15 June 2015, Raimo Niskanen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 15, 2015 at 09:53:56AM +0900, Joel Rees wrote:
> > My memories of Debiandora are fading slightly, but, ...
> > ... I think the numeric id for wheel group in Linux is not 0.
>
> At least on Ubuntu 12.04 there is no wheel group and the numeric id
> for the root group is 0.

    Yeah, renaming wheel to root makes for increased security, too. :)
It prompted people to write recommendations, HOWTOs, and security cheat
sheets about creating groups named "staff", "admins", and the like, and
give _those_ special privileges.  You can't make these things up, I'm
telling ya.

    Regards,

    Liviu Daia