GNOME on OpenBSD 5.3 amd64

obsd, cgi
I tried to install GNOME on OpenBSD 5.3 amd64 for Desktop use (on
VirtualBox), see the howto below.

But after the howto, reboot, startx with a normal user:
https://i.imgur.com/MaT8lcW.png

Xorg.0.log
https://pastee.org/p8ppa

# original:
http://www.gabsoftware.com/tips/tutorial-install-gnome-desktop-and-gnome-display-manager-on-openbsd-4-8/
-------------------------------

when installing:
-g*

-------------------------------

echo 'export PKG_PATH=ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/5.3/packages/amd64/'
>> ~/.profile; . ~/.profile
pkg_add -i -vv gnome-session gdm
# if there was "Can't install foo" message, try the pkg_add line again

-------------------------------

vi /etc/rc.local

Append/modify the following lines in /etc/rc.local:

if [ -x /usr/local/sbin/gdm ]; then
echo -n ' gdm'; (sleep 5; /usr/local/sbin/gdm) &
fi

-------------------------------

echo 'exec gnome-session' > /root/.xinitrc; chmod +x /root/.xinitrc
exit
echo 'exec gnome-session' > .xinitrc; chmod +x .xinitrc

-------------------------------

pkg_add -i -vv metacity
pkg_add -i -vv gnome-panel
pkg_add -i -vv nautilus

-------------------------------

vi /etc/rc.conf.local

Append/modify the following lines :

xdm_flags=NO
gnome_enable=YES
gdm_enable=YES

-------------------------------

pkg_add -i -vv gnome-terminal gnome-control-center gnome-menus
gnome-settings-daemon gnome-themes-standard
# for some reason, these aren't found: gnome-themes-extras gnome-utils
gnome-applets2 gnome-system-monitor gnome-nettool

-------------------------------

So the question is anybody has a working howto for installing GNOME on
OpenBSD?

Thanks

Re: GNOME on OpenBSD 5.3 amd64

Jeremie Courreges-Anglas-2
"obsd, cgi" <[hidden email]> writes:

> I tried to install GNOME on OpenBSD 5.3 amd64 for Desktop use (on
> VirtualBox), see the howto below.
>
> But after the howto, reboot, startx with a normal user:
> https://i.imgur.com/MaT8lcW.png
>
> Xorg.0.log
> https://pastee.org/p8ppa
>
> # original:
> http://www.gabsoftware.com/tips/tutorial-install-gnome-desktop-and-gnome-display-manager-on-openbsd-4-8/

External tutorial for 4.8 vs. official documentation for 5.3.
This leads to the nonsense you've done to your 5.3 system below.

> -------------------------------
>
> when installing:
> -g*
>
> -------------------------------
>
> echo 'export PKG_PATH=ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/5.3/packages/amd64/'
>>> ~/.profile; . ~/.profile
> pkg_add -i -vv gnome-session gdm
> # if there was "Can't install foo" message, try the pkg_add line again
>
> -------------------------------
>
> vi /etc/rc.local
>
> Append/modify the following lines in /etc/rc.local:
>
> if [ -x /usr/local/sbin/gdm ]; then
> echo -n ' gdm'; (sleep 5; /usr/local/sbin/gdm) &
> fi
>
> -------------------------------
>
> echo 'exec gnome-session' > /root/.xinitrc; chmod +x /root/.xinitrc
> exit
> echo 'exec gnome-session' > .xinitrc; chmod +x .xinitrc
>
> -------------------------------
>
> pkg_add -i -vv metacity
> pkg_add -i -vv gnome-panel
> pkg_add -i -vv nautilus
>
> -------------------------------
>
> vi /etc/rc.conf.local
>
> Append/modify the following lines :
>
> xdm_flags=NO
> gnome_enable=YES
> gdm_enable=YES
>
> -------------------------------
>
> pkg_add -i -vv gnome-terminal gnome-control-center gnome-menus
> gnome-settings-daemon gnome-themes-standard
> # for some reason, these aren't found: gnome-themes-extras gnome-utils
> gnome-applets2 gnome-system-monitor gnome-nettool
>
> -------------------------------
>
> So the question is anybody has a working howto for installing GNOME on
> OpenBSD?

Just so that Antoine doesn't feel forced to send another mail about this
recurring subject: pkg_add gnome, *read* the various readmes, don't use
virtualbox.

jca | PGP: 0x06A11494 / 61DB D9A0 00A4 67CF 2A90  8961 6191 8FBF 06A1 1494

Re: GNOME on OpenBSD 5.3 amd64

obsd, cgi
Hi!

"External tutorial for 4.8 vs. official documentation for 5.3.
This leads to the nonsense you've done to your 5.3 system below."

-->>

I went to openbsd.org, typed GNOME in the search form:
- the first hit was a PDF from 2007
- all the remaining were regarding packages

What now? Can you please point out where is the "official GNOME install
documentation for 5.3"? or no one uses GNOME with 5.3 on the misc list?

ps.: I found that other people have problems with GNOME on 5.3, maybe it's
a bug? (
http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/349701-gnome-on-openbsd-5-3-amd64 )

Thanks

UPDATE: oh, ok I just read the bottom part: "don't use virtualbox." - so
the bug comes out when using virtualbox?, ok, Thanks! I will try it with
other VM's or directly!

2013/10/9 Jérémie Courrèges-Anglas <[hidden email]>

> "obsd, cgi" <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> > I tried to install GNOME on OpenBSD 5.3 amd64 for Desktop use (on
> > VirtualBox), see the howto below.
> >
> > But after the howto, reboot, startx with a normal user:
> > https://i.imgur.com/MaT8lcW.png
> >
> > Xorg.0.log
> > https://pastee.org/p8ppa
> >
> > # original:

http://www.gabsoftware.com/tips/tutorial-install-gnome-desktop-and-gnome-disp
lay-manager-on-openbsd-4-8/

> External tutorial for 4.8 vs. official documentation for 5.3.
> This leads to the nonsense you've done to your 5.3 system below.
>
> > -------------------------------
> >
> > when installing:
> > -g*
> >
> > -------------------------------
> >
> > echo 'export PKG_PATH=
> ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/5.3/packages/amd64/'
> > pkg_add -i -vv gnome-session gdm
> > # if there was "Can't install foo" message, try the pkg_add line again
> >
> > -------------------------------
> >
> > vi /etc/rc.local
> >
> > Append/modify the following lines in /etc/rc.local:
> >
> > if [ -x /usr/local/sbin/gdm ]; then
> > echo -n ' gdm'; (sleep 5; /usr/local/sbin/gdm) &
> > fi
> >
> > -------------------------------
> >
> > echo 'exec gnome-session' > /root/.xinitrc; chmod +x /root/.xinitrc
> > exit
> > echo 'exec gnome-session' > .xinitrc; chmod +x .xinitrc
> >
> > -------------------------------
> >
> > pkg_add -i -vv metacity
> > pkg_add -i -vv gnome-panel
> > pkg_add -i -vv nautilus
> >
> > -------------------------------
> >
> > vi /etc/rc.conf.local
> >
> > Append/modify the following lines :
> >
> > xdm_flags=NO
> > gnome_enable=YES
> > gdm_enable=YES
> >
> > -------------------------------
> >
> > pkg_add -i -vv gnome-terminal gnome-control-center gnome-menus
> > gnome-settings-daemon gnome-themes-standard
> > # for some reason, these aren't found: gnome-themes-extras gnome-utils
> > gnome-applets2 gnome-system-monitor gnome-nettool
> >
> > -------------------------------
> >
> > So the question is anybody has a working howto for installing GNOME on
> > OpenBSD?
>
> Just so that Antoine doesn't feel forced to send another mail about this
> recurring subject: pkg_add gnome, *read* the various readmes, don't use
> virtualbox.

> jca | PGP: 0x06A11494 / 61DB D9A0 00A4 67CF 2A90  8961 6191 8FBF 06A1 1494

Re: GNOME on OpenBSD 5.3 amd64

Richard Toohey
On 10/10/13 18:13, obsd, cgi wrote:

> Hi!
>
> "External tutorial for 4.8 vs. official documentation for 5.3.
> This leads to the nonsense you've done to your 5.3 system below."
>
> -->>
>
> I went to openbsd.org, typed GNOME in the search form:
> - the first hit was a PDF from 2007
> - all the remaining were regarding packages
>
> What now? Can you please point out where is the "official GNOME install
> documentation for 5.3"? or no one uses GNOME with 5.3 on the misc list?
>
> ps.: I found that other people have problems with GNOME on 5.3, maybe it's
> a bug? (
> http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/349701-gnome-on-openbsd-5-3-amd64 )
>
> Thanks
>
> UPDATE: oh, ok I just read the bottom part: "don't use virtualbox." - so
> the bug comes out when using virtualbox?, ok, Thanks! I will try it with
> other VM's or directly!
>

> 2013/10/9 Jérémie Courrèges-Anglas <[hidden email]>
>
>> "obsd, cgi" <[hidden email]> writes:
>>
>>> I tried to install GNOME on OpenBSD 5.3 amd64 for Desktop use (on
>>> VirtualBox), see the howto below.
>>>
>>> But after the howto, reboot, startx with a normal user:
>>> https://i.imgur.com/MaT8lcW.png
>>>
>>> Xorg.0.log
>>> https://pastee.org/p8ppa
>>>
>>> # original:
>>>
> http://www.gabsoftware.com/tips/tutorial-install-gnome-desktop-and-gnome-disp
> lay-manager-on-openbsd-4-8/
>> External tutorial for 4.8 vs. official documentation for 5.3.
>> This leads to the nonsense you've done to your 5.3 system below.
>>
>>> -------------------------------
>>>
>>> when installing:
>>> -g*
>>>
>>> -------------------------------
>>>
>>> echo 'export PKG_PATH=
>> ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/5.3/packages/amd64/'
>>> pkg_add -i -vv gnome-session gdm
>>> # if there was "Can't install foo" message, try the pkg_add line again
>>>
>>> -------------------------------
>>>
>>> vi /etc/rc.local
>>>
>>> Append/modify the following lines in /etc/rc.local:
>>>
>>> if [ -x /usr/local/sbin/gdm ]; then
>>> echo -n ' gdm'; (sleep 5; /usr/local/sbin/gdm) &
>>> fi
>>>
>>> -------------------------------
>>>
>>> echo 'exec gnome-session' > /root/.xinitrc; chmod +x /root/.xinitrc
>>> exit
>>> echo 'exec gnome-session' > .xinitrc; chmod +x .xinitrc
>>>
>>> -------------------------------
>>>
>>> pkg_add -i -vv metacity
>>> pkg_add -i -vv gnome-panel
>>> pkg_add -i -vv nautilus
>>>
>>> -------------------------------
>>>
>>> vi /etc/rc.conf.local
>>>
>>> Append/modify the following lines :
>>>
>>> xdm_flags=NO
>>> gnome_enable=YES
>>> gdm_enable=YES
>>>
>>> -------------------------------
>>>
>>> pkg_add -i -vv gnome-terminal gnome-control-center gnome-menus
>>> gnome-settings-daemon gnome-themes-standard
>>> # for some reason, these aren't found: gnome-themes-extras gnome-utils
>>> gnome-applets2 gnome-system-monitor gnome-nettool
>>>
>>> -------------------------------
>>>
>>> So the question is anybody has a working howto for installing GNOME on
>>> OpenBSD?
>> Just so that Antoine doesn't feel forced to send another mail about this
>> recurring subject: pkg_add gnome, *read* the various readmes, don't use
>> virtualbox.
Did you look in the archives - e.g. marc.info is a good place to search?

e.g.

http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=135275664028541&w=2

Don't use Gnome on OpenBSD these days, but used to without problems.

>> jca | PGP: 0x06A11494 / 61DB D9A0 00A4 67CF 2A90  8961 6191 8FBF 06A1 1494

Re: GNOME on OpenBSD 5.3 amd64

Jeremie Courreges-Anglas-2
"obsd, cgi" <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi!
>
> "External tutorial for 4.8 vs. official documentation for 5.3.
> This leads to the nonsense you've done to your 5.3 system below."
>
> -->>
>
> I went to openbsd.org, typed GNOME in the search form:
> - the first hit was a PDF from 2007
> - all the remaining were regarding packages

Very few (if any) external software packages are documented on the
website.

> What now? Can you please point out where is the "official GNOME install
> documentation for 5.3"? or no one uses GNOME with 5.3 on the misc list?

"pkg_add gnome, *read* the various readmes, ..."
The OpenBSD-specific documentation is either printed on screen at
pkg_add time or installed at /usr/local/share/doc/pkg-readmes/$package
(you *need* to read. pkg_add doesn't spit out information for fun).

> ps.: I found that other people have problems with GNOME on 5.3, maybe it's
> a bug? (
> http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/349701-gnome-on-openbsd-5-3-amd64 )

I don't think this page is of any value, neither for the OpenBSD porters
nor for you...

> Thanks
>
> UPDATE: oh, ok I just read the bottom part: "don't use virtualbox." - so
> the bug comes out when using virtualbox?, ok, Thanks! I will try it with
> other VM's or directly!

Getting an accelerated Xorg using virtualbox is afaik not possible.
If you want gnome-shell, don't use vb or a non-intel graphics card (on
5.3, that is).

[...]

jca | PGP: 0x06A11494 / 61DB D9A0 00A4 67CF 2A90  8961 6191 8FBF 06A1 1494

Re: GNOME on OpenBSD 5.3 amd64

obsd, cgi
I installed XFCE4. It works :) BIG THANKS!

2013/10/10 Richard Toohey <[hidden email]>

> On 10/10/13 18:13, obsd, cgi wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> "External tutorial for 4.8 vs. official documentation for 5.3.
>> This leads to the nonsense you've done to your 5.3 system below."
>>
>> -->>
>>
>> I went to openbsd.org, typed GNOME in the search form:
>> - the first hit was a PDF from 2007
>> - all the remaining were regarding packages
>>
>> What now? Can you please point out where is the "official GNOME install
>> documentation for 5.3"? or no one uses GNOME with 5.3 on the misc list?
>>
>> ps.: I found that other people have problems with GNOME on 5.3, maybe it's
>> a bug? (
>> http://community.spiceworks.**com/topic/349701-gnome-on-**

openbsd-5-3-amd64<http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/349701-gnome-on-openb
sd-5-3-amd64>)

>> Thanks
>>
>> UPDATE: oh, ok I just read the bottom part: "don't use virtualbox." - so
>> the bug comes out when using virtualbox?, ok, Thanks! I will try it with
>> other VM's or directly!
>>

>> 2013/10/9 Jérémie Courrèges-Anglas <[hidden email]>
>>
>>  "obsd, cgi" <[hidden email]> writes:
>>>
>>>  I tried to install GNOME on OpenBSD 5.3 amd64 for Desktop use (on

desktop-and-gnome-disp<http://www.gabsoftware.com/tips/tutorial-install-gnome
-desktop-and-gnome-disp>

>> lay-manager-on-openbsd-4-8/
>>
>>> External tutorial for 4.8 vs. official documentation for 5.3.
>>> This leads to the nonsense you've done to your 5.3 system below.

ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/**OpenBSD/5.3/packages/amd64/<ftp://ftp.openbsd.org

http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-**misc&m=135275664028541&w=2<http://marc.info/?l=