GMA500 drivers

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

GMA500 drivers

Gminfly
I have now successfully installed OpenBSD
on my Netbook, however Graphics performance
is abysmal.
I know that sadly Linux uses binary blobs for
the GMA500 as it is a licensed Powervr chip.
Any idea on how to "maybe" get faster graphics
working?
I'm willing to do the legwork.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GMA500 drivers

Maurice McCarthy-3
On 23/03/2019, Normen Wohner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have now successfully installed OpenBSD
> on my Netbook, however Graphics performance
> is abysmal.
> I know that sadly Linux uses binary blobs for
> the GMA500 as it is a licensed Powervr chip.
> Any idea on how to "maybe" get faster graphics
> working?
> I'm willing to do the legwork.
>

I assume you've tried fw_update to attempt from firmware.openbsd.org ?!

As it is not listed in man 4 intel (don't know how up to date that is)
maybe someone is already porting the firmware driver from freebsd.
Otherwise I'd guess you would have to port a linux driver yourself.

Best Wishes

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GMA500 drivers

Jonathan Gray-11
On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 07:50:30AM +0000, Maurice McCarthy wrote:

> On 23/03/2019, Normen Wohner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I have now successfully installed OpenBSD
> > on my Netbook, however Graphics performance
> > is abysmal.
> > I know that sadly Linux uses binary blobs for
> > the GMA500 as it is a licensed Powervr chip.
> > Any idea on how to "maybe" get faster graphics
> > working?
> > I'm willing to do the legwork.
> >
>
> I assume you've tried fw_update to attempt from firmware.openbsd.org ?!
>
> As it is not listed in man 4 intel (don't know how up to date that is)
> maybe someone is already porting the firmware driver from freebsd.
> Otherwise I'd guess you would have to port a linux driver yourself.
>
> Best Wishes
>

There is a GPLv2 driver in linux.
"experimental 2D KMS framebuffer driver for the Intel GMA500 ('Poulsbo')
and other Intel IMG based graphics devices"

No one is looking at adding support for obscure Intel PowerVR parts from
over ten years ago with no documentation and incomplete and badly
licensed code.  Running fw_update won't change that.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GMA500 drivers

nothingness

On 25/03/2019 09:44, Jonathan Gray wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 07:50:30AM +0000, Maurice McCarthy wrote:
>> On 23/03/2019, Normen Wohner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I have now successfully installed OpenBSD
>>> on my Netbook, however Graphics performance
>>> is abysmal.
>>> I know that sadly Linux uses binary blobs for
>>> the GMA500 as it is a licensed Powervr chip.
>>> Any idea on how to "maybe" get faster graphics
>>> working?
>>> I'm willing to do the legwork.
>>>
>> I assume you've tried fw_update to attempt from firmware.openbsd.org ?!
>>
>> As it is not listed in man 4 intel (don't know how up to date that is)
>> maybe someone is already porting the firmware driver from freebsd.
>> Otherwise I'd guess you would have to port a linux driver yourself.
>>
>> Best Wishes
>>
> There is a GPLv2 driver in linux.
> "experimental 2D KMS framebuffer driver for the Intel GMA500 ('Poulsbo')
> and other Intel IMG based graphics devices"
>
> No one is looking at adding support for obscure Intel PowerVR parts from
> over ten years ago with no documentation and incomplete and badly
> licensed code.  Running fw_update won't change that.
>
You've bought the wrong netbook. GMA500 is a disaster of a chip that
never performed as advertised, even using the Windows driver (which had
a few rewrites by Intel but never satisfied the customer base, you'll
find plenty of griping about it on various forums). Sell it off and get
a model that has a chipset that was actually made by Intel, not
licensed. There's plenty to choose from if you're into 2010 equipment.
That's the legwork you need to achieve I'm afraid.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GMA500 drivers

Gminfly
In reply to this post by Jonathan Gray-11
> On 26 Mar 2019, at 13:30, Jonathan Gray <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>
> There is no suitably licensed driver to port.  And no documentation to
> write one from scratch.
>

I’m not looking to make this an upstream thing. The idea was to take the crappy binary blobs from Debian and wrap that into something decent. Reading up on OpenBSD driver management however, this seems (outside of reverse engineering) frankly impossible.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GMA500 drivers

Mihai Popescu-3
In reply to this post by Gminfly
> The idea was to take the crappy binary blobs from Debian and wrap that into something decent.
> Reading up on OpenBSD driver management however ...

Whenever you try to wrap something crappy it still remains crappy and
it still smells. Your point, if any, is weird.