G4 Cube

Daniel Boyd-2
The hard drive recently died in my G4 Cube, so I just purchased an IDE SSD.
Like you do.

The CD-ROM drive died a few years ago, so, as it were, I have an
unoccupied IDE connector in my Cube. In theory, I could get a second IDE
SSD and then I could use softraid to RAID-0 stripe them for extra speed.
Considering the IDE bus would almost certainly be my throughput
bottleneck even with only one SSD, that would be pretty useless.

On the other hand, who else among you has a G4 Cube with striped SSDs?

Anyway, no question here, just enjoying the fact that this old
machine can still run modern software thanks to the effors of this
community. Perhaps, I may even do something important with my Cube and
RAID-1 mirror the SSDs for redundancy.

Re: G4 Cube

Jordan Geoghegan

On 01/04/19 15:12, [hidden email] wrote:

> The hard drive recently died in my G4 Cube, so I just purchased an IDE SSD.
> Like you do.
>
> The CD-ROM drive died a few years ago, so, as it were, I have an
> unoccupied IDE connector in my Cube. In theory, I could get a second IDE
> SSD and then I could use softraid to RAID-0 stripe them for extra speed.
> Considering the IDE bus would almost certainly be my throughput
> bottleneck even with only one SSD, that would be pretty useless.
>
> On the other hand, who else among you has a G4 Cube with striped SSDs?
>
> Anyway, no question here, just enjoying the fact that this old
> machine can still run modern software thanks to the effors of this
> community. Perhaps, I may even do something important with my Cube and
> RAID-1 mirror the SSDs for redundancy.

macppc doesn't support booting from softraid. If you want to run RAID on
macppc, you'll need a separate non RAID disk to boot from.

Re: G4 Cube

Daniel Boyd-2
It’s been awhile since I’ve configured softraid. Can’t it be done with a separate partitions on the same physical disk? Bc i definitely can’t have more than 2 physical disks in there. Like e.g. i could have /usr and /home RAIDed, but / would just be on one of the drives

Sent from my iPhone