Funding for Skylake support

Peter Membrey
Hi all,

I've gotten OpenBSD up and running on a new Intel NUC, but unfortunately Skylake isn't supported. I was able to get X working in software accelerated mode, but it would be great to see true support for the chipset. Unfortunately I don't have the necessary skills to work on this myself, but I am willing to put my money where my mouth is.

I realise that for a lot of people, the issue is time and not money, but that aside, would anybody be interested in focusing on adding support for Skylake? The deliverable would be getting Skylake support merged.

Happy to discuss what sort of funding would be needed.

Thanks in advance!

Kind Regards,

Peter Membrey

Re: Funding for Skylake support

jordon-7
> On Jan 7, 2017, at 2:19 PM, Peter Membrey <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I've gotten OpenBSD up and running on a new Intel NUC, but unfortunately
Skylake isn't supported. I was able to get X working in software accelerated
mode, but it would be great to see true support for the chipset. Unfortunately
I don't have the necessary skills to work on this myself, but I am willing to
put my money where my mouth is.

> I realise that for a lot of people, the issue is time and not money, but
that aside, would anybody be interested in focusing on adding support for
Skylake? The deliverable would be getting Skylake support merged.

> Happy to discuss what sort of funding would be needed.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Peter Membrey

I second this.  OpenBSD runs really well on my TP x260 with the UEFI frame
buffer, but full Skylake support could turn it into my ‘main system’.
When Skylake support hits the tree, count me in for a donation as well.

Jordon

Re: Funding for Skylake support

Bryan C. Everly-2
...and my axe...

On Sat, Jan 7, 2017 at 9:09 PM Jordon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > On Jan 7, 2017, at 2:19 PM, Peter Membrey <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> > Hi all,
>

> > I've gotten OpenBSD up and running on a new Intel NUC, but unfortunately
>
> Skylake isn't supported. I was able to get X working in software
> accelerated
>
> mode, but it would be great to see true support for the chipset.
> Unfortunately
>
> I don't have the necessary skills to work on this myself, but I am willing
>
> put my money where my mouth is.
>

> > I realise that for a lot of people, the issue is time and not money, but
>
> that aside, would anybody be interested in focusing on adding support for
>
> Skylake? The deliverable would be getting Skylake support merged.
>

> > Happy to discuss what sort of funding would be needed.
>

> > Thanks in advance!
>

> > Kind Regards,
>

> > Peter Membrey
>

> I second this.  OpenBSD runs really well on my TP x260 with the UEFI frame
>
> buffer, but full Skylake support could turn it into my ‘main system’.
>
> When Skylake support hits the tree, count me in for a donation as well.
>

> Jordon

Re: Funding for Skylake support

Adam Van Ymeren-2
On 1/7/2017 3:19 PM, Peter Membrey wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've gotten OpenBSD up and running on a new Intel NUC, but unfortunately Skylake isn't supported. I was able to get X working in software accelerated mode, but it would be great to see true support for the chipset. Unfortunately I don't have the necessary skills to work on this myself, but I am willing to put my money where my mouth is.
>
> I realise that for a lot of people, the issue is time and not money, but that aside, would anybody be interested in focusing on adding support for Skylake? The deliverable would be getting Skylake support merged.
>
> Happy to discuss what sort of funding would be needed.

I would also be interested in helping fund Skylake support.  Happy to
donate some upfront to anyone interested in working on Skylake.

-Adam

Re: Funding for Skylake support

Peter Membrey
Hi,

I'd also be willing to put funds up front so that good test hardware can be purchased to do the development on. In that case I'd be looking for someone who has had previous success getting their code (ideally in graphics) accepted into the project. I'm also willing to put the funds into escrow if there is a concern about getting paid.

I'm only an individual, so I don't have corporate level backing or anything, but I am thinking of putting in a decent chunk for this, as in hundreds rather than tens of dollars. Again, I realise that money isn't the driving force here, but my thinking is, if there is someone who does contract coding for example, it might be possible to purchase a block of their time to work on this.

Cheers,

Pete

On 1/7/2017 3:19 PM, Peter Membrey wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've gotten OpenBSD up and running on a new Intel NUC, but unfortunately Skylake isn't supported. I was able to get X working in software accelerated mode, but it would be great to see true support for the chipset. Unfortunately I don't have the necessary skills to work on this myself, but I am willing to put my money where my mouth is.
>
> I realise that for a lot of people, the issue is time and not money, but that aside, would anybody be interested in focusing on adding support for Skylake? The deliverable would be getting Skylake support merged.
>
> Happy to discuss what sort of funding would be needed.

I would also be interested in helping fund Skylake support.  Happy to
donate some upfront to anyone interested in working on Skylake.

-Adam

Re: Funding for Skylake support

Karel Gardas
Guys,

what about to look and/or contact
http://www.openbsdfoundation.org/index.html and discuss matter with
them?

On Mon, Jan 9, 2017 at 1:55 AM, Peter Membrey <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd also be willing to put funds up front so that good test hardware can be
purchased to do the development on. In that case I'd be looking for someone
who has had previous success getting their code (ideally in graphics) accepted
into the project. I'm also willing to put the funds into escrow if there is a
concern about getting paid.

> I'm only an individual, so I don't have corporate level backing or anything,
but I am thinking of putting in a decent chunk for this, as in hundreds rather
than tens of dollars. Again, I realise that money isn't the driving force
here, but my thinking is, if there is someone who does contract coding for
example, it might be possible to purchase a block of their time to work on
this.

> Cheers,
>
> Pete

Gabriel Guzman-2
On 01/07, Jordon wrote:

> > On Jan 7, 2017, at 2:19 PM, Peter Membrey <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I've gotten OpenBSD up and running on a new Intel NUC, but unfortunately
> Skylake isn't supported. I was able to get X working in software accelerated
> mode, but it would be great to see true support for the chipset. Unfortunately
> I don't have the necessary skills to work on this myself, but I am willing to
> put my money where my mouth is.
> >
> > I realise that for a lot of people, the issue is time and not money, but
> that aside, would anybody be interested in focusing on adding support for
> Skylake? The deliverable would be getting Skylake support merged.
> >
> > Happy to discuss what sort of funding would be needed.
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
> >
> > Kind Regards,
> >
> > Peter Membrey
> >

> I second this.  OpenBSD runs really well on my TP x260 with the UEFI frame
> buffer, but full Skylake support could turn it into my ‘main system’.
> When Skylake support hits the tree, count me in for a donation as well.

Donated now.
Thanks OpenBSD,
gabe.