Flashboot for OpenBSD 5.1 is now available

Flashboot for OpenBSD 5.1 is now available

Johan Ryberg
Hi

Flashboot is a small infrastructure to build minimal OpenBSD
installations suitable for booting of flash and USB devices originally
by Damien Miller. Flashboot is derived from the scripts and tools
used to build the OpenBSD installation media and has evolved over the
years.

You will found Flashboot at Github: https://github.com/openbsd/flashboot

We need people to test some of the builds for example SOEKRIS4501.
WRAP12 and PCENGINES kernel. If you don't want to build by our self
there is a full set of images ready to put on a USB memory stick or
Flash card media.

The scripts also builds i386 and amd64 USB installations images
from install51.iso to make it really simple to install OpenBSD from
USB pendrives (memory sticks).

Best regards Johan Ryberg

Re: Flashboot for OpenBSD 5.1 is now available

cody chandler-2
Hello,

I have a possible stupid question.  How is the install hard if I simply
direct the install drive to /dev/sd0?  I have a 32Gb usb stick and have
11Gigs for OBSD and the rest is fat32.  I'm not seeing how the default
installer is lacking options for install.

Thank you
Cody
On May 6, 2012 6:09 PM, "Johan Ryberg" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Flashboot is a small infrastructure to build minimal OpenBSD
> installations suitable for booting of flash and USB devices originally
> by Damien Miller. Flashboot is derived from the scripts and tools
> used to build the OpenBSD installation media and has evolved over the
> years.
>
> You will found Flashboot at Github: https://github.com/openbsd/flashboot
>
> We need people to test some of the builds for example SOEKRIS4501.
> WRAP12 and PCENGINES kernel. If you don't want to build by our self
> there is a full set of images ready to put on a USB memory stick or
> Flash card media.
>
> The scripts also builds i386 and amd64 USB installations images
> from install51.iso to make it really simple to install OpenBSD from
> USB pendrives (memory sticks).
>
> Best regards Johan Ryberg

Re: Flashboot for OpenBSD 5.1 is now available

Johan Ryberg
Hi.

Not stupid at all.

Flashboot is not intended to replace a standard OpenBSD installation and if
you want to use a normal installation on a USB stick then you are probably
best off with the installation process that you described.

Flashboot is made for appliances with sd-card from 128 Mb (64 Mb with
little work). The entire file system is mounted as read only and the
sd-card will not wear out. The update process is also simplified since you
only has to replace the kernel (ramdisk with entire userlard) and you are
up and running a new version of OpenBSD in minutes.

Later some new scripts has been added to simplify and the script that makes
a bootable usb image of the install51.iso is one example of that but that
is not the Flashboot core, just a little tool.

Best regards Johan Ryberg
On May 7, 2012 12:31 AM, "cody chandler" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a possible stupid question.  How is the install hard if I simply
> direct the install drive to /dev/sd0?  I have a 32Gb usb stick and have
> 11Gigs for OBSD and the rest is fat32.  I'm not seeing how the default
> installer is lacking options for install.
>
> Thank you
> Cody

Re: Flashboot for OpenBSD 5.1 is now available

Nick Holland
On 05/07/12 00:52, Johan Ryberg wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Not stupid at all.
>
> Flashboot is not intended to replace a standard OpenBSD installation and if
> you want to use a normal installation on a USB stick then you are probably
> best off with the installation process that you described.
>
> Flashboot is made for appliances with sd-card from 128 Mb (64 Mb with
> little work). The entire file system is mounted as read only and the
> sd-card will not wear out. The update process is also simplified since you
> only has to replace the kernel (ramdisk with entire userlard) and you are
> up and running a new version of OpenBSD in minutes.
>
> Later some new scripts has been added to simplify and the script that makes
> a bootable usb image of the install51.iso is one example of that but that
> is not the Flashboot core, just a little tool.
>
> Best regards Johan Ryberg

Any possibility we could request that the project description make it
more clear that this is NOT a mainstream, "here is how you should run
OpenBSD from flash media" solution?  And hopefully, a "this is NOT
supported by the OpenBSD project" notice, too?

The problem is, a lot of people seem to find your project and decide,
"oh, this is how I should run OpenBSD from flash media", and then force
fit a Flashboot install into a "tiny" 2GB flash media, instead of just
doing a normal install and getting a normal system.

I'm not denying there are places where either tiny amounts of storage
are available or where the ability to wack a power switch and have ZERO
concern for file system integrity (or waiting for an fsck after such an
event) are highly beneficial, but there are an awful lot of people who
believe this is The Way Things Should Be Done, then shoot themselves in
the foot because they have no idea what they are doing or how to support
the thing they have made.  And then they run to the OpenBSD lists
looking for support, confusing "based on OpenBSD" with "is OpenBSD".

Nick.

> On May 7, 2012 12:31 AM, "cody chandler" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a possible stupid question.  How is the install hard if I simply
>> direct the install drive to /dev/sd0?  I have a 32Gb usb stick and have
>> 11Gigs for OBSD and the rest is fat32.  I'm not seeing how the default
>> installer is lacking options for install.
>>
>> Thank you
>> Cody

Re: Flashboot for OpenBSD 5.1 is now available

Johan Ryberg
Yes.  I will fix this within the next 24 hours. I fully understand the
concerns and the reason.

Best regards Johan Ryberg
On May 8, 2012 4:25 AM, "Nick Holland" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 05/07/12 00:52, Johan Ryberg wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > Not stupid at all.
> >
> > Flashboot is not intended to replace a standard OpenBSD installation and
> if
> > you want to use a normal installation on a USB stick then you are
> probably
> > best off with the installation process that you described.
> >
> > Flashboot is made for appliances with sd-card from 128 Mb (64 Mb with
> > little work). The entire file system is mounted as read only and the
> > sd-card will not wear out. The update process is also simplified since
> you
> > only has to replace the kernel (ramdisk with entire userlard) and you are
> > up and running a new version of OpenBSD in minutes.
> >
> > Later some new scripts has been added to simplify and the script that
> makes
> > a bootable usb image of the install51.iso is one example of that but that
> > is not the Flashboot core, just a little tool.
> >
> > Best regards Johan Ryberg
>
> Any possibility we could request that the project description make it
> more clear that this is NOT a mainstream, "here is how you should run
> OpenBSD from flash media" solution?  And hopefully, a "this is NOT
> supported by the OpenBSD project" notice, too?
>
> The problem is, a lot of people seem to find your project and decide,
> "oh, this is how I should run OpenBSD from flash media", and then force
> fit a Flashboot install into a "tiny" 2GB flash media, instead of just
> doing a normal install and getting a normal system.
>
> I'm not denying there are places where either tiny amounts of storage
> are available or where the ability to wack a power switch and have ZERO
> concern for file system integrity (or waiting for an fsck after such an
> event) are highly beneficial, but there are an awful lot of people who
> believe this is The Way Things Should Be Done, then shoot themselves in
> the foot because they have no idea what they are doing or how to support
> the thing they have made.  And then they run to the OpenBSD lists
> looking for support, confusing "based on OpenBSD" with "is OpenBSD".
>
> Nick.
>
> > On May 7, 2012 12:31 AM, "cody chandler" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I have a possible stupid question.  How is the install hard if I simply
> >> direct the install drive to /dev/sd0?  I have a 32Gb usb stick and have
> >> 11Gigs for OBSD and the rest is fat32.  I'm not seeing how the default
> >> installer is lacking options for install.
> >>
> >> Thank you
> >> Cody

Re: Flashboot for OpenBSD 5.1 is now available

Johan Ryberg
I forgot to mention one thing. I'm for sure glad to be in the project but
it's not my project so I don't want to take any credit for it. I have just
made some adjustments to make it build the latest versions of OpenBSD with
help from others.

Best regards Johan Ryberg