Fixing a phrase in /stable.html

Nick Permyakov
Hi,

I might be nitpicking, but the sentence "This will take awhile..." at
the bottom of http://www.openbsd.org/stable.html doesn't seem very
grammatical to me. I'd suggest fixing it to read "...take a while...".

Best regards,
Nick Permyakov

Re: Fixing a phrase in /stable.html

Jason McIntyre-2
On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 01:29:00PM +0400, Nick Permyakov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I might be nitpicking, but the sentence "This will take awhile..." at
> the bottom of http://www.openbsd.org/stable.html doesn't seem very
> grammatical to me. I'd suggest fixing it to read "...take a while...".
>
> Best regards,
> Nick Permyakov

i thought it sounded strange too, so i looked it up. from collins
cobuild:

        awhile: "Awhile" means for a short time. It is more commonly
        spelled `a while', which is considered more correct, especially
        in British English.

so i don;t think there's anything wrong with it, as such. having said
that, it's written in the context of a make build. i wonder whether the
author really wanted to suggest a short time ;)

jmc

Re: Fixing a phrase in /stable.html

patrick keshishian
funny enough, i took a short break from the book i'm reading to check email
and read this message. returning to the book i read this sentence:

"We picked the twelfth and thirteenth of July, but for awhile the issue was
in some doubt."

:)
--patrick

On Sunday, February 17, 2013, Jason McIntyre wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 01:29:00PM +0400, Nick Permyakov wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I might be nitpicking, but the sentence "This will take awhile..." at
> > the bottom of http://www.openbsd.org/stable.html doesn't seem very
> > grammatical to me. I'd suggest fixing it to read "...take a while...".
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Nick Permyakov
> >

> i thought it sounded strange too, so i looked it up. from collins
> cobuild:
>
>         awhile: "Awhile" means for a short time. It is more commonly
>         spelled `a while', which is considered more correct, especially
>         in British English.
>
> so i don;t think there's anything wrong with it, as such. having said
> that, it's written in the context of a make build. i wonder whether the
> author really wanted to suggest a short time ;)
>
> jmc

Re: Fixing a phrase in /stable.html

Nick Holland
On 02/17/13 04:54, Jason McIntyre wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 01:29:00PM +0400, Nick Permyakov wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I might be nitpicking, but the sentence "This will take awhile..." at
>> the bottom of http://www.openbsd.org/stable.html doesn't seem very
>> grammatical to me. I'd suggest fixing it to read "...take a while...".
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Nick Permyakov
>>

> i thought it sounded strange too, so i looked it up. from collins
> cobuild:
>
> awhile: "Awhile" means for a short time. It is more commonly
> spelled `a while', which is considered more correct, especially
> in British English.
>
> so i don;t think there's anything wrong with it, as such. having said
> that, it's written in the context of a make build. i wonder whether the
> author really wanted to suggest a short time ;)
>
> jmc

"a while"/"awhile" means a short time? wow.  I've always used it as
meaning "a long time".  'course, I usually say it with a sarcastic tone,
so maybe it's the sarcasm that gets the point across.

I've changed it to "This will take some time. Depending on the speed of
the system, it may take less than an hour to a week or more."

Nick.

Re: Fixing a phrase in /stable.html

Alexander Hall
On 02/18/13 19:48, Nick Holland wrote:

> On 02/17/13 04:54, Jason McIntyre wrote:
>> On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 01:29:00PM +0400, Nick Permyakov wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I might be nitpicking, but the sentence "This will take awhile..." at
>>> the bottom of http://www.openbsd.org/stable.html doesn't seem very
>>> grammatical to me. I'd suggest fixing it to read "...take a while...".
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Nick Permyakov
>>>

>> i thought it sounded strange too, so i looked it up. from collins
>> cobuild:
>>
>> awhile: "Awhile" means for a short time. It is more commonly
>> spelled `a while', which is considered more correct, especially
>> in British English.
>>
>> so i don;t think there's anything wrong with it, as such. having said
>> that, it's written in the context of a make build. i wonder whether the
>> author really wanted to suggest a short time ;)
>>
>> jmc
>>

> "a while"/"awhile" means a short time? wow.  I've always used it as
> meaning "a long time".  'course, I usually say it with a sarcastic tone,
> so maybe it's the sarcasm that gets the point across.
>
> I've changed it to "This will take some time. Depending on the speed of
> the system, it may take less than an hour to a week or more."

Not that I'm a native English speaker, but I've never ever interpreted
"a while" as a _short_ time specifically, but mostly as a fair but
reasonable amount of time relative to the context.

But then again, what's the definition of "short"? I guess that's
depending on the context, too.

/Alexander

Re: Fixing a phrase in /stable.html

Ted Unangst-6
On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 20:53, Alexander Hall wrote:
> On 02/18/13 19:48, Nick Holland wrote:

>> "a while"/"awhile" means a short time? wow.  I've always used it as
>> meaning "a long time".  'course, I usually say it with a sarcastic tone,
>> so maybe it's the sarcasm that gets the point across.

> Not that I'm a native English speaker, but I've never ever interpreted
> "a while" as a _short_ time specifically, but mostly as a fair but
> reasonable amount of time relative to the context.

A while is only short if it's a little while. The default is a big
while. :)

Re: Fixing a phrase in /stable.html

sven falempin
On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 2:53 PM, Alexander Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 02/18/13 19:48, Nick Holland wrote:

>>> i thought it sounded strange too, so i looked it up. from collins
>>> cobuild:
>>>
>>>         awhile: "Awhile" means for a short time. It is more commonly
>>>         spelled `a while', which is considered more correct, especially
>>>         in British English.
>>>
>>> so i don;t think there's anything wrong with it, as such. having said
>>> that, it's written in the context of a make build. i wonder whether the
>>> author really wanted to suggest a short time ;)
>>>
>>> jmc
>>>

>> "a while"/"awhile" means a short time? wow.  I've always used it as
>> meaning "a long time".  'course, I usually say it with a sarcastic tone,
>> so maybe it's the sarcasm that gets the point across.
>>
>> I've changed it to "This will take some time. Depending on the speed of
>> the system, it may take less than an hour to a week or more."
>>

> Not that I'm a native English speaker, but I've never ever interpreted "a
> while" as a _short_ time specifically, but mostly as a fair but reasonable
> amount of time relative to the context.
>
> But then again, what's the definition of "short"? I guess that's depending
> on the context, too.
>
> /Alexander

i asked native english speaker,
apparently, taking awhile is always 'sarcastic', and never short.

It is fun to know that the sarcasm is exactly the same in french.

<<Cela va prendre un moment>>

moment is short, but it means a completely undefined time, probably not
very short.

so the sentence was correct, the 'manual' was wrong

/\

On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 12:24 PM, sven falempin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 2:53 PM, Alexander Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> "a while"/"awhile" means a short time? wow.  I've always used it as
>>> meaning "a long time".  'course, I usually say it with a sarcastic tone,
>>> so maybe it's the sarcasm that gets the point across.
>>>
>>> I've changed it to "This will take some time. Depending on the speed of
>>> the system, it may take less than an hour to a week or more."
>>>

>> Not that I'm a native English speaker, but I've never ever interpreted "a
>> while" as a _short_ time specifically, but mostly as a fair but reasonable
>> amount of time relative to the context.
>>
>> But then again, what's the definition of "short"? I guess that's depending
>> on the context, too.
>>
>> /Alexander
>>

> i asked native english speaker,
> apparently, taking awhile is always 'sarcastic', and never short.

Not according to dictionaries[1][2][4]. I've never thought "awhile" as
a sarcastic usage.

[1] http://thefreedictionary.com/awhile
a·while  (-hwl, -wl)
adv.
For a short time.
Usage Note: Awhile, an adverb, is never preceded by a preposition such
as for, but the two-word form a while may be preceded by a
preposition. In writing, each of the following is acceptable: stay
awhile; stay for a while; stay a while (but not stay for awhile).

[2] http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/awhile
Adverb
awhile (not comparable[3])
For some time; for a short time.
Sit with me awhile.

[3] http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Glossary#comparable

[4] http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/awhile
Definition of AWHILE

: for a while
 See awhile defined for English-language learners[5]
See awhile defined for kids[6]

[5] http://www.learnersdictionary.com/search/awhile
awhile  /əˈwajəl/ adverb
: for a while : for a short time
▪ I'm going to sit and rest awhile. ▪ The rumor had been around awhile.

[6] http://www.wordcentral.com/cgi-bin/student?book=Student&va=awhile

On 02/18/13 21:43, patrick keshishian wrote:

> [5] http://www.learnersdictionary.com/search/awhile
> awhile  /əˈwajəl/ adverb
> : for a while : for a short time
> ▪ I'm going to sit and rest awhile. ▪ The rumor had been around awhile.

While definition and practice may very well differ and change over time,
the examples above still demonstrates quite different amounts of time,
both of which seems to be considered "awhile".

Well, OT and enough already. Cheers.

Re: Fixing a phrase in /stable.html

Kevin Chadwick-2
> > i asked native english speaker,
> > apparently, taking awhile is always 'sarcastic', and never short.
>
> Not according to dictionaries[1][2][4]. I've never thought "awhile" as
> a sarcastic usage.

Well I've never seen awhile written without a space so you can take
this with a pinch of salt but I've heard

"I'm gonna be a while so I'll have to give it a miss" and I've never
heard it rather than something like "I won't be long" even if in
reality that always means they will be ages ;-).

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)

Re: Fixing a phrase in /stable.html

Marc Espie-2
On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 09:25:06PM +0000, Kevin Chadwick wrote:

> > > i asked native english speaker,
> > > apparently, taking awhile is always 'sarcastic', and never short.
> >
> > Not according to dictionaries[1][2][4]. I've never thought "awhile" as
> > a sarcastic usage.
>
> Well I've never seen awhile written without a space so you can take
> this with a pinch of salt but I've heard
>
> "I'm gonna be a while so I'll have to give it a miss" and I've never
> heard it rather than something like "I won't be long" even if in
> reality that always means they will be ages ;-).

This seems like a disturbing trend to me.
are we going to turn www into a dumbed-down international english slang ? ...

MD

On 18/02/13 21:31, Marc Espie wrote:

>>> Not according to dictionaries[1][2][4]. I've never thought "awhile" as
>>> a sarcastic usage.
>>
>> Well I've never seen awhile written without a space so you can take
>> this with a pinch of salt but I've heard
>>
>> "I'm gonna be a while so I'll have to give it a miss" and I've never
>> heard it rather than something like "I won't be long" even if in
>> reality that always means they will be ages ;-).
>
> This seems like a disturbing trend to me.
> are we going to turn www into a dumbed-down international english slang ? ...

Surely the true arbiter on whether "awhile" is an acceptable term and
its meaning would be Professor Elvin Atombender of Impossible Mission
(Epyx) notoriety.

His invitation to "Stay awhile..." correlates with the implication of
the original text and seems to communicate succinctly the scenario...

Re: Fixing a phrase in /stable.html

Chris Cappuccio

Yeah, we need some more translations of www. What should we call the
mix of hillbilly, valley girl, inner-city slang, and various grunts?

On 02/18/13 19:51, Chris Cappuccio wrote:
> Marc Espie [[hidden email]] wrote:
>>
>> This seems like a disturbing trend to me.
>> are we going to turn www into a dumbed-down international english slang ? ...
>

> Yeah, we need some more translations of www. What should we call the
> mix of hillbilly, valley girl, inner-city slang, and various grunts?

"Nick@'s writing style"
SOMEONE had to say it!

Nick.