File System Corrupted Due to didn't Umount cause by power failure

File System Corrupted Due to didn't Umount cause by power failure

peterwkc
Hello all expect openbsd user, i have encountered this incident before where previously i can solve it easily but not this time.

My openbsd is running for 24 X 7 but my mother going off the power and i didn't know about that for few times. After that, file is not properly unmount.

OpeBSD asked me to check fschk_ffs manually but i cannot read man pages anymore but before i can. It just stop scrolling at 13%.

Enter shell path name or return to sh : I press enter
Terminal type ? i enter tty220

Return me unknow terminal type, i tried it with tty00 and others No use. Then i ctrl + c to force it to terminal.

After that, i try ffschk_ffs and ffschk but still cannot solve it.

OpenBSD drop me to single user and kernel security level is .

I think is just for read and not for write.

I need your help.

Your help is greatly appreciated by me and others.

A billion thanks for your help.

Re: File System Corrupted Due to didn't Umount cause by power failure

Raimo Niskanen-7
On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 03:31:45AM -0700, Peter_APIIT wrote:

> Hello all expect openbsd user, i have encountered this incident before where
> previously i can solve it easily but not this time.
>

> My openbsd is running for 24 X 7 but my mother going off the power and i
> didn't know about that for few times. After that, file is not properly
> unmount.
>
> OpeBSD asked me to check fschk_ffs manually but i cannot read man pages
> anymore but before i can. It just stop scrolling at 13%.
>
> Enter shell path name or return to sh : I press enter
> Terminal type ? i enter tty220

vt220

> Return me unknow terminal type, i tried it with tty00 and others No use.
> Then i ctrl + c to force it to terminal.
>
> After that, i try ffschk_ffs and ffschk but still cannot solve it.

fsck -y

> OpenBSD drop me to single user and kernel security level is .
>
> I think is just for read and not for write.
>
> I need your help.
>
> Your help is greatly appreciated by me and others.
>
> A billion thanks for your help.

Re: File System Corrupted Due to didn't Umount cause by power failure

Nick Holland
Peter_APIIT wrote:

> Hello all expect openbsd user, i have encountered this incident before where
> previously i can solve it easily but not this time.
>

> My openbsd is running for 24 X 7 but my mother going off the power and i
> didn't know about that for few times. After that, file is not properly
> unmount.
>
> OpeBSD asked me to check fschk_ffs manually but i cannot read man pages
> anymore but before i can. It just stop scrolling at 13%.

man pages are available on-line, see front page of website.

> Enter shell path name or return to sh : I press enter
> Terminal type ? i enter tty220

what did you do to change that?  It should prompt you with a
default thatworks.

> Return me unknow terminal type, i tried it with tty00 and others No use.
> Then i ctrl + c to force it to terminal.

you can't type random things there, at least the wrong random things.
Assuming it is an i386 or amd64 with a monitor attached, it would
be "vt220"

> After that, i try ffschk_ffs and ffschk but still cannot solve it.

(no error message, but we can pretty well guess what it would be)

AGAIN, typing random stuff isn't how you solve computer problems.
The command is "fsck" or "fsck_ffs" (either will work), and that
command was told to you in the error message (which was probably
scrolled off the screen due to your bumbling the terminal type
question).

> OpenBSD drop me to single user and kernel security level is .
>
> I think is just for read and not for write.
>
> I need your help.
>
> Your help is greatly appreciated by me and others.
>
> A billion thanks for your help.

If things are really messed up, you may prefer (or need) to boot
from bsd.rd, either from your disk or from a CD or floppy, then
fsck all your partitions.

Easiest way to proceed would be to look at the error message you
get at boot, it will be complaining about a particular partition,
let's assume it is /dev/wd0d.  You will enter in the following
command:
   fsck /dev/wd0d
When it finds errors, it will ask you if you want to fix them,
say "y".  If it starts irritating you with how many things it is
asking you to fix, hit "F" (upper case!), and it will just assume
"y" for all remaining questions.

Once this fsck is done, it may ask you if you want to write the
fixes to disk.  If so, DO SO!  Otherwise, you just wasted your
time. :)  (I'm drawing a blank at the moment if OpenBSD is one
of the OSs I've worked with that asks that question).

Now, do a "mount -a".  The system may now report another
partition needs to be cleaned, so repeat the process with the
next partition, and so on, until your system comes up with a
mount -a.  Note, this "mount -a" trick attempts to mount
everything in your /etc/fstab file, so if you booted from
bsd.rd, this doesn't work.  In that case, you need to look at
your disklabel or the etc/fstab file on your disk.

Nick.

Re: File System Corrupted Due to didn't Umount cause by power failure

Vinicius Vianna-2

I didn't get this right..

Have you got to the shell prompt after the crash?
If so, did you tried to run "fsck /dev/rwd0a"? Try it, it may show some
problems, or in the boot after the crash the system will show you what
partition have been compromised.
Just run the fsck /dev/rwd0X  for all partitions, if there's many errors
and you wanna to take some risks, try "fsck -y /dev/rwd0a" or any other
dev, this will answer yes on all question on fsck, but be careful.

Send more information so we can help you,

Regards,
Vinicius

I try it first, then i come back here with a specific question and error message.

Re: File System Corrupted Due to didn't Umount cause by power failure

peterwkc

Peter_APIIT wrote
I try it first.

I have solved the problem by issue this command fsck -y.

Thanks for your help.