[Feature Request] Confirmation Before Deleting Partition Table During Installation

[Feature Request] Confirmation Before Deleting Partition Table During Installation

tchi ci
Hi.

It is just as the subject says.

During installation, there comes a point where partitioning is
necessary. The default, e.g. just pressing enter, will automatically
take over the whole drive, which is fine I suppose; however, the lack of
a confirmation isn't.

Personally, I was going to manually create the partitions, and I decided
I wanted to use more space than I originally planned, but I needed to
shrink a btrfs, which requires me to boot into a Linux. I aborted out of
fdisk, then it prompted me again to create the partitions. I wanted to
shutdown (and was too lazy to press the power button), so, trying to get
to the shell to poweroff, I press either ctrl-c or ctrl-d; however, the
default action was chosen without confirmation, and there goes my
partition table... (I was able to get it back; no worries).

That was 3 to 4 months ago. I thought I'll try OpenBSD another day.
Today was the day! Only for the same exact thing to happen again...
Seems like I just don't learn.

Still, a confirmation for overwritting an existing partiton table would
be a bit useful, I guess.

Regards.

Re: [Feature Request] Confirmation Before Deleting Partition Table During Installation

Bryan Steele-2
On Sun, Jul 19, 2020 at 06:58:45AM +0300, tchi ci wrote:

> Hi.
>
> It is just as the subject says.
>
> During installation, there comes a point where partitioning is
> necessary. The default, e.g. just pressing enter, will automatically
> take over the whole drive, which is fine I suppose; however, the lack of
> a confirmation isn't.
>
> Personally, I was going to manually create the partitions, and I decided
> I wanted to use more space than I originally planned, but I needed to
> shrink a btrfs, which requires me to boot into a Linux. I aborted out of
> fdisk, then it prompted me again to create the partitions. I wanted to
> shutdown (and was too lazy to press the power button), so, trying to get
> to the shell to poweroff, I press either ctrl-c or ctrl-d; however, the
> default action was chosen without confirmation, and there goes my
> partition table... (I was able to get it back; no worries).
>
> That was 3 to 4 months ago. I thought I'll try OpenBSD another day.
> Today was the day! Only for the same exact thing to happen again...
> Seems like I just don't learn.
>
> Still, a confirmation for overwritting an existing partiton table would
> be a bit useful, I guess.
>
> Regards.

If you mindlessly press enter without reading the prompts, you're going
to have a bad day. There are several opportunities to customly partition
your disk in a way that preserves non-OpenBSD partitions, but by default
the assumption is that you will be installing OpenBSD to the entire
disk, if you aren't 100% committed to installing OpenBSD, don't boot
into the installler. :-)

-Bryan.

Re: [Feature Request] Confirmation Before Deleting Partition Table During Installation

william Gunnells
haha. So OpenBSD works best without all the Linux BS or Windows BS. The defaults for OpenBSD are preferred and will improve life by strengthening character.