FW Hardware

L. V. Lammert
There have been some good discussions lately about HW capable of running a
lot of traffic, .. but this question is about the other end of the
spectrum.

Have a need for a small FW appliance that can be used to protect a single
machine and provide a simple way to whitelist a single IP or two.

Two HW ethernet ports, OBSD compatible, small form factor, low cost.

Any recommendations?

        Thanks!

        Lee

Re: FW Hardware

Eike Lantzsch
On Donnerstag, 22. September 2016 12:58:37 PYT L. V. Lammert wrote:

> There have been some good discussions lately about HW capable of running a
> lot of traffic, .. but this question is about the other end of the
> spectrum.
>
> Have a need for a small FW appliance that can be used to protect a single
> machine and provide a simple way to whitelist a single IP or two.
>
> Two HW ethernet ports, OBSD compatible, small form factor, low cost.
>
> Any recommendations?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Lee
PC Engines ALIX.2D2 System Board (i386)
Interfaces: VIA VT6105M RhineIII
I have been using that one for 3 1/2 years now as a router and FW - no
complaints
or for a little more you get
PC Engines APU.2C2
which is amd64, has far more RAM and three Gigabit-ports.
Interfaces: Realtek 8168
Look for a Bundle; it includes board, wallwart, memory-card and cabinet.
Cabinet has lower profile than the one for ALIX, only 168 x 157 x 30 mm

You're welcome
Eike
--
Eike Lantzsch ZP6CGE
“Do you actually know what you are reading?”
someone guided me?” ... (Acts 8:30, 31)

Re: FW Hardware

ludovic coues
Like other have said, PC Engines might be your best bet.
Edgerouter lite and PoE are another alternative. They run on Octeon
[1]. They might be a bit less expensive with somewhat smaller form
factor. They also should be easier to get, like $90 on amazon.
Installation might be easier on PC Engines.

You'll notice a lot of modal. I don't own either device, all the
comments are second hand.

[1] https://www.openbsd.org/octeon.html

--

Cordialement, Coues Ludovic
+336 148 743 42

Re: FW Hardware

Christian Weisgerber
On 2016-09-22, Eike Lantzsch <[hidden email]> wrote:

> PC Engines APU.2C2
> which is amd64, has far more RAM and three Gigabit-ports.
> Interfaces: Realtek 8168

Actually, the APU2C2 has Intel i211AT interfaces, em(4).

Re: FW Hardware

Eike Lantzsch
On Donnerstag, 22. September 2016 20:17:28 PYT Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> On 2016-09-22, Eike Lantzsch <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > PC Engines APU.2C2
> > which is amd64, has far more RAM and three Gigabit-ports.
> > Interfaces: Realtek 8168
>
> Actually, the APU2C2 has Intel i211AT interfaces, em(4).
my error, what I got here on my desk is an APU1 not APU2
Thank you for the correction

Re: FW Hardware

bytevolcano
On Thu, 22 Sep 2016 15:29:12 -0400
Eike Lantzsch <[hidden email]> wrote:

> or for a little more you get
> PC Engines APU.2C2
> which is amd64, has far more RAM and three Gigabit-ports.
> Interfaces: Realtek 8168

Or if you are patient, and need multiple SIM cards, you can wait for the
APU3a4 or 3a2: http://www.pcengines.ch/apu3a4.htm

> Look for a Bundle; it includes board, wallwart, memory-card and
> cabinet. Cabinet has lower profile than the one for ALIX, only 168 x
> 157 x 30 mm

It will help to buy the antennae as well.

Re: FW Hardware

Todd-69
I have 2 ALIX.2D2 from ebay that I got for about $60 each.  Compared to the
APU, the ALIX.2D2 are older, slower, and dont support gigibit networking,
but should be more than enough for your use case.