FTPd and MFS

Steve B-2
I'm seeking a little advice on a small in-house project. We are installing a
machine in house that will run FTP and iPerf as a means for doing some
simple bandwidth testing between a couple of different endpoints. The box
itself is a 1G AMD with 1GB of DDR RAM and an ATA/66 hard drive. Due to the
concerns of the drive subsystem not being fast enough to dish out the test
files over a 100MB LAN I've been asked to use a ramdrive. Mgmt does not care
what we in IT use for the project so its going to be an OBSD box. The
problem I am faced with is how to implement MFS for a predefined user and
their associated /home/username directory. A script or a user will login to
the test machine and transfer a series of files that are a pre-determined
size. Any thoughts, comments, suggestions or criticisms would be helpful.

Re: FTPd and MFS

Adam-29
On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 12:17:06 -0700 Steve B <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm seeking a little advice on a small in-house project. We are
> installing a machine in house that will run FTP and iPerf as a means
> for doing some simple bandwidth testing between a couple of different
> endpoints. The box itself is a 1G AMD with 1GB of DDR RAM and an
> ATA/66 hard drive. Due to the concerns of the drive subsystem not
> being fast enough to dish out the test files over a 100MB LAN I've
> been asked to use a ramdrive. Mgmt does not care what we in IT use
> for the project so its going to be an OBSD box. The problem I am
> faced with is how to implement MFS for a predefined user and their
> associated /home/ username directory. A script or a user will login
> to the test machine and transfer a series of files that are a pre-
> determined size. Any thoughts, comments, suggestions or criticisms
> would be helpful.

Why use ftp with all its problems when you already know about iperf?
There's also ttcp which is similar.

Adam

Re: FTPd and MFS

Steve B-2
FTP was included in the project design scope as an alternative as well as a
secondary means of measurement.

Re: FTPd and MFS

knitti
On 11/14/05, Steve B <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The
> problem I am faced with is how to implement MFS for a predefined user and
> their associated /home/username directory. A script or a user will login to
> the test machine and transfer a series of files that are a pre-determined
> size. Any thoughts, comments, suggestions or criticisms would be helpful.

read man mount_mfs. if anything is not clear, read it again.

make your /home/user with all files. move /home/user to /home/userx.
mkdir /home/user. make an empty diskslice with size of one sector (or more,
irrelevant), you need the disk label of it (e.g. /dev/wd0b)

have something like the following in your rc.local:

mount_mfs -s size /dev/wd0b /home/user
cp -R /home/userx/* /home/user/

there you go. this advice could be full of mistakes (you don't know me,
and I didn't test this, I just wrote it down), so understand what is done,
read the man pages.

--knitti

Re: FTPd and MFS

Jon Simola-2
On 11/14/05, Steve B <[hidden email]> wrote:

> problem I am faced with is how to implement MFS for a predefined user and
> their associated /home/username directory.

Maybe I'm missing something, but is there any reason MFS wouldn't work?

/sbin/mount_mfs -s 512000 swap /home/username

--
Jon Simola
Systems Administrator
ABC Communications

Re: FTPd and MFS

Alexander Hall
knitti wrote:
> have something like the following in your rc.local:
>
> mount_mfs -s size /dev/wd0b /home/user
> cp -R /home/userx/* /home/user/

Or something like this in /etc/fstab:

/dev/wd0b /home/user mfs rw,nodev,nosuid,-P=/home/userx,-s=100000

/Alexander

Re: FTPd and MFS

Lars Hansson
On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 01:36:28 +0100
Alexander Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Or something like this in /etc/fstab:
>
> /dev/wd0b /home/user mfs rw,nodev,nosuid,-P=/home/userx,-s=100000

You can even use "swap" instead of /dev/wd0b.

---
Lars Hansson

Re: FTPd and MFS

Steve B-2
Yeah, that's what I'm looking for. For some reason I was thinking that since
/home is mounted on /dev/wd0h I could not mount another directory by the
same name using MFS. Guess its time to mirror the drive and try it. Worst
that can happen is I break the box and have to restore from the mirror.
Thanks to all.