FDE with keydrive imponderabilities

Gminfly
I thought you might be able to help me with a setup concerning
Full Disk Encryption on OpenBSD 6.4 where I am at my whits end.
I am trying to install on a Sony Vaio VPC P11S1E netbook.
It is a 32-bit x86 machine with an internal SSD and SD card reader.

During boot of the installer my internal disk shows up as wd0.
I have no Idea why it would be IDE but be that as it may.
Plugging in any USB drive shows as sd0 while the SD card-reader
shows two devices, respectively some controller on sd0 and the
actual drive on sd1.

I really hope to find anything else I could try.

What I have tried thus far.
booting into the installer,
once everything is in ramdisk is at the Install
etc. prompt I unplug the boot USB and proceed with:

(S)hell

# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/wd0 bs=1m count=8
to erase previous RAID attempt

# fdisk -iy wd0
# disklabel -E wd0
> a a
offset: [64] 1024
size: [n]
FS type: [4.2BSD] RAID
returns: 'No label changes.'

# cd /dev
# sh MAKEDEV sd1
# sh MAKEDEV sd2
# cd /

after that either
Route 1:
plugging in SD card

# fdisk -iy sd1
# disklabel -E sd1
> a a
offset: [64] 1024
size: [n] 1m
FS type: [4.2BSD] RAID
returns: 'No label changes.'

# dd if=/dev/random of=/dev/sd1a

# bioctl -c C -k sd1a -l wd0a softraid0
returns: 'Error sd1 did not quit correctly'

This Error remains consistend between boots,
even after restarting to the Installer

alternatively
Route 2:
plugging in USB stick
# fdisk -iy sd0
# disklabel -E sd0
> a a
offset: [64] 1024
size: [n] 1m
FS type: [4.2BSD] RAID
returns: No label changes.

# dd if=/dev/random of=/dev/sd0a

# bioctl -c C -k sd0a -l wd0a softraid0
returns: softraid0: CRYPTO volume attached as sd2
#exit
(I)nstall to sd2
hangs in BIOS after reboot whenever
the Keydrive is plugged in.

Re: FDE with keydrive imponderabilities

Stefan Sperling-5
On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 11:26:45PM +0100, Normen Wohner wrote:
> I thought you might be able to help me with a setup concerning
> Full Disk Encryption on OpenBSD 6.4 where I am at my whits end.
> I am trying to install on a Sony Vaio VPC P11S1E netbook.
> It is a 32-bit x86 machine with an internal SSD and SD card reader.

There's no dmesg included in your report.

This all depends on whether the BIOS is able to detect the drives
involved. Type 'machine disk' at the boot> prompt to see which
drives are actually detected by the BIOS.

Re: FDE with keydrive imponderabilities

Joel Carnat

I wonder if you’re not using fdisk for an MBR setup and disklabel for GPT.

Why won’t you use 64 as the starting offset of the RAID partition ?

--
Envoyé de mon iPhone