FAQ: dmesg archive

Rupert Gallagher
There seems to be a [hidden email] address where to post such stuff, but I could not find its archive, nor I could find a searchable database. Do I have to search harder?

Re: FAQ: dmesg archive

Rupert Gallagher
Answering to myself...

http://dmesgd.nycbug.org/index.cgi?NAV=dmesgd;SQLIMIT=20

Sent from ProtonMail Mobile

> There seems to be a [hidden email] address where to post such stuff, but I could not find its archive, nor I could find a searchable database. Do I have to search harder?

Re: FAQ: dmesg archive

Fred Crowson-4
It's archive is  only available to the developers. But their is a publicly
list at:

On Tue, 26 Jun 2018, 13:59 Rupert Gallagher, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There seems to be a [hidden email] address where to post such stuff,
> but I could not find its archive, nor I could find a searchable database.
> Do I have to search harder?

Re: FAQ: dmesg archive

Il Ka
See Otto's comment

https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=117169914814561&w=2

On Tue, Jun 26, 2018 at 3:59 PM, Rupert Gallagher <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> There seems to be a [hidden email] address where to post such stuff,
> but I could not find its archive, nor I could find a searchable database.
> Do I have to search harder?

Re: FAQ: dmesg archive

Rupert Gallagher
Ok new question.

I am about to purchase SYS-E300-9A-8CN8, because I cannot wait any longer.

Does it work with OpenBSD? Let see... nope! The dmesg database shows little love for SuperMicro in general, and a single hit for a C3000 cpu in particular, with plenty of unrecognised devices:

http://dmesgd.nycbug.org/index.cgi?do=view&id=3445

The problem I see with the current database is the absence of collaboration. The owner of that server may have additional information to fill in the obsd gaps, such as a dmesg from freebsd and another one from linux, and another may have links to their open-source drivers, and a third one may actually work at SuperMicro and be willing to help from the inside, but such information is neither available nor asked for... :-(

> Answering to myself... http://dmesgd.nycbug.org/index.cgi?NAV=dmesgd;SQLIMIT=20 Sent from ProtonMail Mobile On Tue, Jun 26, 2018 at 14:59, Rupert Gallagher wrote: > There seems to be a [hidden email] address where to post such stuff, but I could not find its archive, nor I could find a searchable database. Do I have to search harder? @protonmail.com>

Re: FAQ: dmesg archive

Ryan Freeman
On Tue, Jun 26, 2018 at 09:38:37AM -0400, Rupert Gallagher wrote:
> Ok new question.
>
> I am about to purchase SYS-E300-9A-8CN8, because I cannot wait any longer.
>
> Does it work with OpenBSD? Let see... nope! The dmesg database shows little love for SuperMicro in general, and a single hit for a C3000 cpu in particular, with plenty of unrecognised devices:
>
> http://dmesgd.nycbug.org/index.cgi?do=view&id=3445

That is only a RAMDISK kernel.  It does not have all devices enabled that
the normal full kernel does.

On Tue, Jun 26, 2018 at 17:39, Ryan Freeman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> That is only a RAMDISK kernel. It does not have all devices enabled that the normal full kernel does.

Right, so I will be compiling under ESXi then.

http://dmesgd.nycbug.org/index.cgi?do=view&id=3414

Re: FAQ: dmesg archive

Bryan Vyhmeister-3
Looking at Supermicro's page, it's pretty easy to get some answers.

http://www.supermicro.com/products/system/Mini-ITX/SYS-E300-9A-8CN8.cfm

The 4 gigabit Intel i350-AM4 controllers should work fine since they do
on other systems of the previous C2xxx systems. However, the 4 gigabit
Marvell 88E1543 controllers are unlikely to work as best I can tell.
Doing an apropos search for Marvell does not yield a man page that
mentions this chipset. Not much has happened with msk(4) or sk(4)
recently.

https://cvsweb.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/sys/dev/pci/if_msk.c
https://cvsweb.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/sys/dev/pci/if_sk.c

So you probably will not have great support at this time. Something like
the E300-8D might be a better choice. I have been looking at the X10SDV
boards (especially the X10SDV-2C-TP4F and X10SDV-2C-TP8F) personally and
will be building some firewalls with them soon.

Bryan

Re: FAQ: dmesg archive

Rupert Gallagher
This is the linux driver. I do not have the board yet, so no dmesgs.

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git/tree/drivers/net/phy/marvell.c?h=v4.17.3

https://github.com/olerem/barebox/blob/master/drivers/net/phy/marvell.c

http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/barebox/2014-November/021362.html

> Looking at Supermicro's page, it's pretty easy to get some answers. http://www.supermicro.com/products/system/Mini-ITX/SYS-E300-9A-8CN8.cfm The 4 gigabit Intel i350-AM4 controllers should work fine since they do on other systems of the previous C2xxx systems. However, the 4 gigabit Marvell 88E1543 controllers are unlikely to work as best I can tell. Doing an apropos search for Marvell does not yield a man page that mentions this chipset. Not much has happened with msk(4) or sk(4) recently. https://cvsweb.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/sys/dev/pci/if_msk.c https://cvsweb.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/sys/dev/pci/if_sk.c So you probably will not have great support at this time. Something like the E300-8D might be a better choice. I have been looking at the X10SDV boards (especially the X10SDV-2C-TP4F and X10SDV-2C-TP8F) personally and will be building some firewalls with them soon. Bryan

Re: FAQ: dmesg archive

Rupert Gallagher
Addenda

http://patchwork.dpdk.org/patch/7639/