FAQ 8.1 - I forgot my root password...

S-3

FAQ 8.1 - I forgot my root password...

S-3
FAQ 8.1 - I forgot my root password...

http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq8.html#LostPW

re:
Mount the partitions. Both "/" and /usr will need to be mounted read-write. Assuming they are on separate partitions (as they should be), the following will work:

    # fsck -p / && mount -uw /
    # fsck -p /usr && mount /usr

easy way (easy remember)as follow, is it right?
    # fsck -p  && mount -a

Re: FAQ 8.1 - I forgot my root password...

Zé Loff-2
On Apr 11, 2013, at 4:15 PM, f5b <[hidden email]> wrote:

> FAQ 8.1 - I forgot my root password...
>
> http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq8.html#LostPW

> re:
> Mount the partitions. Both "/" and /usr will need to be mounted read-write. Assuming they are on separate partitions (as they should be), the following will work:
>
>    # fsck -p / && mount -uw /
>    # fsck -p /usr && mount /usr
>
> easy way (easy remember)as follow, is it right?
>    # fsck -p  && mount -a

Why would you fsck possibly huge partitions (/mail, /www, whatever) and
mount them if you don't need to?
You suggestion is equivalent only if your only partitions are / and /usr

Re: FAQ 8.1 - I forgot my root password...

Vadim Zhukov
2013/4/11 f5b <[hidden email]>:

> FAQ 8.1 - I forgot my root password...
>
> http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq8.html#LostPW

> re:
> Mount the partitions. Both "/" and /usr will need to be mounted read-write. Assuming they are on separate partitions (as they should be), the following will work:
>
>     # fsck -p / && mount -uw /
>     # fsck -p /usr && mount /usr

Why do you need to mount /usr read-write for updating password, ever?
Read-only is enough, no?

--
  WBR,
  Vadim Zhukov