Ext4 and suspend

Ville Valkonen
Hello,

just a hint for those who are having ext4 partitions mounted: that
will prohibit suspend to work.

Pardon for my unscientific claim, but If I'm not correctly mistaken
this was related to changes that made syncing disks faster in halting.
For a long time I thought that also was affecting ext2 partitions too
but a few weeks ago I was happy to find out that it only affects ext4
partitions, even in readonly mode.

Wanted to share my findings since there might be someone else
pondering why the suspend doesn't work. Unmount the ext4 for good and
be happy.

--
Kind regards,
Ville

Re: Ext4 and suspend

Mike Larkin-2
On Mon, Mar 18, 2019 at 10:42:50PM +0200, Ville Valkonen wrote:

> Hello,
>
> just a hint for those who are having ext4 partitions mounted: that
> will prohibit suspend to work.
>
> Pardon for my unscientific claim, but If I'm not correctly mistaken
> this was related to changes that made syncing disks faster in halting.
> For a long time I thought that also was affecting ext2 partitions too
> but a few weeks ago I was happy to find out that it only affects ext4
> partitions, even in readonly mode.
>
> Wanted to share my findings since there might be someone else
> pondering why the suspend doesn't work. Unmount the ext4 for good and
> be happy.
>
> --
> Kind regards,
> Ville

What does 'prohibit suspend to work' even mean?

No dmesg, no logs, nothing of use in this email to point us in the right
direction.

-ml