EuroBSDCon 2009, Cambridge, UK

Marc Balmer-2
                  EuroBSDCon 2009 - Cambridge, UK
                       18-20 September 2009

     The Berkeley Software Distribution (BSD) family of
     computer operating systems is derived from software
     developed at the University of California at Berkeley.
     The various family members (Dragonfly-, Free-, Net- and
     OpenBSD, among others) are extensively used both for
     embedded appliances and for large internet servers and
     have an excellent reputation for stability and state-of-the-
     art technology. BSD-derived software is a driving force
     for IT research and development and is well-received as
     a building block in commercial software due to its
     unique license scheme.

     The ninth European BSD conference is a great opportunity
     to present new ideas to the community and to meet some
     of the developers behind the different BSDs.

     The two day conference program (September 19 - 20) will
     be complemented by a tutorial day preceding the
     conference (Sept 18).

     Call for Papers

     The Conference is inviting authors to submit innovative
     and original papers not submitted to other European
     conferences on the applications, architecture,
     implementation, performance and security of BSD-derived
     operating systems. Investigations on economic aspects
     regarding the operation of BSD systems are also welcome.
     Topics of interest for the EuroBSD Conference 2009
     include, but are not limited to:

         - embedded application development and deployment
         - device drivers
         - security and safe coding practices
         - methods others should know about
         - system administration: techniques and tools of the trade
         - operational and economic aspects

     Prospective authors of contributions to the technical
     program are requested to submit an abstract by email to
     [hidden email] All submissions will be
     acknowledged. Presentations may last from 15 to 45
     minutes - please indicate how long you would like.

     This is the initial call for papers; a more focussed
     call based on initial accepted submissions will
     follow in March 2009. We will begin accepting talks
     early in 2009.

     Authors of accepted submissions should provide a full
     paper for publication in the conference proceedings and
     give permission to the organizers to publish the
     results in the printed proceedings and on the
     conference web site.

     Call for Tutorial Proposals

     Selected tutorials on practical and problem-solving
     aspects of BSD-derived operating systems will be offered
     on the day before the Conference. The tutorials will be
     presented by speakers who have wide experience in
     developing and administering the different BSDs.
     Potential tutorial themes could include, but are not
     limited to:

         - Safe coding practices to provide secure solutions
         - System load testing and tuning
         - BSD in a large network
         - Solving sets of problems

     If you are interested in presenting a tutorial, please
     contact the organisers on [hidden email] with what
     you're thinking. Initial exploratory conversations are
     as welcome as full proposals.

     Sponsorship Opportunities

     We are seeking companies or institutions to sponsor
     various elements of the conference in order to keep
     delegate fees as low as possible. Sponsorship
     opportunities include: paying for a speaker's travel or
     accommodation; providing bursaries for delegates who
     cannot pay the conference fee themselves; sponsoring
     catering, lunches, or the conference dinner.

     All sponsors will be listed in the conference
     proceedings and included on our website with a link back
     to your site. You will also have the opportunity to
     provide literature for distribution in delegate packs.
     Please contact the UKUUG Secretariat ([hidden email])
     to discuss the possibilities.

     Important Dates

         Final abstract deadline: May 31st 2009 Final
         tutorial deadline: May 31st Final papers due:
         August 1st Tutorial day: September 18 Conference:
         September 19 - 20

Re: EuroBSDCon 2009, Cambridge, UK

Sevan / Venture37-2
Still some time to go but wondering, who's going?
I'm very much looking forward to attending for the time.

Sevan / Venture37

Sevan / Venture37 wrote:
> Still some time to go but wondering, who's going?
> I'm very much looking forward to attending for the time.

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=59169627993

Re: EuroBSDCon 2009, Cambridge, UK

Henning Brauer
* Sevan / Venture37 <[hidden email]> [2009-07-14 19:50]:
> Still some time to go but wondering, who's going?
> I'm very much looking forward to attending for the time.

otto, tedu and I will be speaking. enough incentive? :)

BS Web Services, http://bsws.de
Dedicated Servers, Rootservers, Application Hosting - Hamburg & Amsterdam

Henning Brauer wrote:
> * Sevan / Venture37 <[hidden email]> [2009-07-14 19:50]:
>> Still some time to go but wondering, who's going?
>> I'm very much looking forward to attending for the time.
>
> otto, tedu and I will be speaking. enough incentive? :)

I'm already sold, so excited I forgot to type "first" between "the" &
"time" :D

Sevan / Venture37

Re: EuroBSDCon 2009, Cambridge, UK

ropers
2009/7/14 Sevan / Venture37 <[hidden email]>:
> Sevan / Venture37 wrote:
>>
>> Still some time to go but wondering, who's going?
>> I'm very much looking forward to attending for the time.
>

> http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=59169627993

Please don't require me to submit myself to facefuck in order to see
what you've got to say. There are a ton of things wrong with facefuck,
and with how you get treated if you submit to it. If you do have
something to say, please say it right here or on any number of freely
accessible websites, including possibly your own.

http://imgur.com/fuoYH.png

regards,
--ropers

Re: EuroBSDCon 2009, Cambridge, UK

Rod Whitworth-3
On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 19:56:35 +0200, Henning Brauer wrote:

>* Sevan / Venture37 <[hidden email]> [2009-07-14 19:50]:
>> Still some time to go but wondering, who's going?
>> I'm very much looking forward to attending for the time.
>
>otto, tedu and I will be speaking. enough incentive? :)

I didn't even know that when I committed the time and money to be there
but if I was wavering that would have swayed me but I'm still hoping
that I can get to meet a whole bunch of other OpenBSD users who aren't
on the speaker list.

After all, the cost of a return flight from Australia plus transport in
UK and conference costs make it an expensive weekend and I'd like to
come back with more faces to put with names.

So, see you all there!

*** NOTE *** Please DO NOT CC me. I <am> subscribed to the list.
Mail to the sender address that does not originate at the list server is tarpitted. The reply-to: address is provided for those who feel compelled to reply off list. Thankyou.

Rod/
/earth: write failed, file system is full
cp: /earth/creatures: No space left on device

Re: EuroBSDCon 2009, Cambridge, UK

frantisek holop
hmm, on Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 08:21:16PM +0200, ropers said that
> Please don't require me to submit myself to facefuck in order to see

it's not facefuck.

it's fuckbook.

-f
so easy, a child can do it.  child sold seperately.

Re: EuroBSDCon 2009, Cambridge, UK

demuel
And so I've heard from a very extremely reliable assets not parasites that
the following will also gawk at the gathering:

1. Borat
2. Mr. Bean
3. James Bond

:wq!

> hmm, on Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 08:21:16PM +0200, ropers said that
>> Please don't require me to submit myself to facefuck in order to see
>
> it's not facefuck.
>
> it's fuckbook.
>
> -f
> so easy, a child can do it.  child sold seperately.

Re: EuroBSDCon 2009, Cambridge, UK

Fred Crowson-3
On 7/15/09, Rod Whitworth <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 19:56:35 +0200, Henning Brauer wrote:
>
>>* Sevan / Venture37 <[hidden email]> [2009-07-14 19:50]:
>>> Still some time to go but wondering, who's going?
>>> I'm very much looking forward to attending for the time.
>>
>>otto, tedu and I will be speaking. enough incentive? :)
>
> I didn't even know that when I committed the time and money to be there
> but if I was wavering that would have swayed me but I'm still hoping
> that I can get to meet a whole bunch of other OpenBSD users who aren't
> on the speaker list.
>
> After all, the cost of a return flight from Australia plus transport in
> UK and conference costs make it an expensive weekend and I'd like to
> come back with more faces to put with names.
>
> So, see you all there!

I've paid for my ticket - this will be my nearest EuroBSD Conference -
I'll not need a flight to this one :~)

Fred

Re: EuroBSDCon 2009, Cambridge, UK

Edd Barrett
On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 11:17:22PM +0100, Fred Crowson wrote:
> I've paid for my ticket - this will be my nearest EuroBSD Conference -
> I'll not need a flight to this one :~)

It's tempting, but oh so expensive.

--

Best Regards

Edd Barrett
(Freelance software developer / technical writer / open-source developer)

http://students.dec.bmth.ac.uk/ebarrett

Re: EuroBSDCon 2009, Cambridge, UK

patrick keshishian
On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 5:52 PM, Edd Barrett<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 11:17:22PM +0100, Fred Crowson wrote:
>> I've paid for my ticket - this will be my nearest EuroBSD Conference -
>> I'll not need a flight to this one :~)
>
> It's tempting, but oh so expensive.

you are right there almost ...

> --
>
> Best Regards
>
> Edd Barrett
> (Freelance software developer / technical writer / open-source developer)
>
> http://students.dec.bmth.ac.uk/ebarrett

Re: EuroBSDCon 2009, Cambridge, UK

Francesco Vollero
Il giorno gio, 16/07/2009 alle 01.52 +0100, Edd Barrett ha scritto:
> On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 11:17:22PM +0100, Fred Crowson wrote:
> > I've paid for my ticket - this will be my nearest EuroBSD Conference -
> > I'll not need a flight to this one :~)
>
> It's tempting, but oh so expensive.

I agree with Edd. The converence is expensive.
The flight, with a irish-famous company is cheap.

Re: EuroBSDCon 2009, Cambridge, UK

Ted Unangst-2

It's a lot cheaper if you give a talk. :)

Re: EuroBSDCon 2009, Cambridge, UK

demuel
If that is the only alternative case to cut quixotic attendance expenses
specially in today's financial situations, then why not let everybody be
the speaker? Let everyone deliver their speeches of "good tidings and
change that we can believe in" about OBSD from newbies to not newbies.
Maybe we'll invite Borat and Mr. Bean to give the attendees some free
refreshing laughs at all, that is, if they are laughable at all.

:wq!

> On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 8:52 PM, Edd Barrett<[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 11:17:22PM +0100, Fred Crowson wrote:
>>> I've paid for my ticket - this will be my nearest EuroBSD Conference -
>>> I'll not need a flight to this one :~)
>>
>> It's tempting, but oh so expensive.
>
> It's a lot cheaper if you give a talk. :)

Re: EuroBSDCon 2009, Cambridge, UK

Christiano F. Haesbaert-3
Iuhuu.
I'm going,  just choosing who will pay my ticket from Brazil.
Any candidates ?