Error : page Ports - Working with Ports

Stephane HUC "PengouinBSD"
Hi, all...

Into page "Ports - Working with Ports", in "Using flavors and
subpackages" section,
https://www.openbsd.org/faq/ports/ports.html#PortsFlavors

It's wrote:
only install the main subpackage.

To list the different packages built by a port, use:

    $ make show=PKGNAMES

make install will only install the main subpackage. To install them all,
use:
"
By twice: "make install will only install the main subpackage". Normal?

--
~ " Fully Basic System Distinguish Life! " ~ " Libre as a BSD " +=<<<
----
<mail>[hidden email]</mail>

Re: Error : page Ports - Working with Ports

Rodrigo Mosconi-3

> Hi, all...
>
> Into page "Ports - Working with Ports", in "Using flavors and
> subpackages" section,
> https://www.openbsd.org/faq/ports/ports.html#PortsFlavors
>
> It's wrote:
> only install the main subpackage.
>
> To list the different packages built by a port, use:
>
>     $ make show=PKGNAMES
>
> make install will only install the main subpackage. To install them all,
> use:
> "
> By twice: "make install will only install the main subpackage". Normal?

[make install] is a command that is writen in the shell.  realize that is
in mono-spaced font, so it is something from terminal

> --
> ~ " Fully Basic System Distinguish Life! " ~ " Libre as a BSD " +=<<<
> ----
> <me>Stephane HUC as PengouinBSD or CIOTBSD</me>
> <mail>[hidden email]</mail>

Re: Error : page Ports - Working with Ports

Stephane HUC "PengouinBSD"

Le 11/07/17 à 12:34, Rodrigo Mosconi a écrit :
(...)
>> "
>> By twice: "make install will only install the main subpackage". Normal?
>>

> [make install] is a command that is writen in the shell.  realize that is
> in mono-spaced font, so it is something from terminal

I'm sorry, but you didn't understand me.
I like to point out that it is written twice, as an unfortunate
repetition. Normal?

--
~ " Fully Basic System Distinguish Life! " ~ " Libre as a BSD " +=<<<
----
<me>Stephane HUC as PengouinBSD or CIOTBSD</me>
<mail>[hidden email]</mail>

Re: Error : page Ports - Working with Ports

Theo Buehler-4
On Tue, Nov 07, 2017 at 12:41:22PM +0100, Stephane HUC "PengouinBSD" wrote:

> Le 11/07/17 à 12:34, Rodrigo Mosconi a écrit :
> (...)
> >> "
> >> By twice: "make install will only install the main subpackage". Normal?
> >>

> > [make install] is a command that is writen in the shell.  realize that is
> > in mono-spaced font, so it is something from terminal
> >

> I'm sorry, but you didn't understand me.
> I like to point out that it is written twice, as an unfortunate
> repetition. Normal?

I dunno. Seems pretty normal to me. If I read this correctly, there's a
one-line summary with the most important info, which is expanded on a
few lines later.

Please, if you really want to help, use the link sent by someone else a
few days ago and learn how to send a diff.

This will:

a) indicate clearly what you are talking about without you having to
   scramble to explain what you mean
b) force you to propose a solution, so it's easy to understand what you
   think is wrong
c) allow me (or someone else) to apply, tweak and commit the fix if it
   makes sense.

In the long run, this will save a lot of headache and time.

Re: Error : page Ports - Working with Ports

Christoph R. Murauer
Quote from the FAQ.

only install the main subpackage.

To list the different packages built by a port, use:

$ make show=PKGNAMES
make install will only install the main subpackage. To install them
all, use:
$ make install-all

Yes, normal. The first is labeled as summery. Later make install and
make install-all is meaned.

IMHO (it is not meaned bad) save yourself time and use diffs. Before,
work with ports, that helps to understand the context.

> Le 11/07/17 à 12:34, Rodrigo Mosconi a écrit :
> (...)
>>> "
>>> By twice: "make install will only install the main subpackage".
>>> Normal?
>>>

>> [make install] is a command that is writen in the shell.  realize
>> that is
>> in mono-spaced font, so it is something from terminal
>>

> I'm sorry, but you didn't understand me.
> I like to point out that it is written twice, as an unfortunate
> repetition. Normal?

Re: Error : page Ports - Working with Ports

Stephane HUC "PengouinBSD"

(...)

> This will:
>
> a) indicate clearly what you are talking about without you having to
>    scramble to explain what you mean
> b) force you to propose a solution, so it's easy to understand what you
>    think is wrong
> c) allow me (or someone else) to apply, tweak and commit the fix if it
>    makes sense.
>
> In the long run, this will save a lot of headache and time.

I apologize for the noise.

I'm not going to submit a diff when I'm trying to understand if what i'm
higlighting it's normal... really, sorry!

I'm not ready to collaborate as you want. Sorry!

Bye. Have a good day! :D

--
~ " Fully Basic System Distinguish Life! " ~ " Libre as a BSD " +=<<<
----
<me>Stephane HUC as PengouinBSD or CIOTBSD</me>
<mail>[hidden email]</mail>

Re: Error : page Ports - Working with Ports

Dutch Ingraham
On Tue, Nov 07, 2017 at 01:09:02PM +0100, Stephane HUC "PengouinBSD" wrote:
> I'm not going to submit a diff when I'm trying to understand if what i'm
> higlighting it's normal... really, sorry!

You might be surprised at how much you learn about an issue, and
refining your thoughts, by preparing a diff.  You might realize you were
confused about the subject and discard the diff, but it will be time
well spent in any event.