Error Upgrading 6.4 to 6.5 mount failure

Error Upgrading 6.4 to 6.5 mount failure

Antonino Sidoti
HI,

This is my first attempt in upgrading to OpenBSD 6.5. My current version is 6.4 and I have it hosted at Vultr. I have attached the ISO file (install65.iso) to the system and I start the upgrade process with “U” for upgrade.

It will find my root disk (sd0), checks the root disk and come backs OK. It mounts the root disk with OK.

From here I get an error and it will not proceed;

        mount_ffs: -o 1: option not supported
        /dev/sd0d (123efb4cf9e3e6af.d) on /mnt/usr/local type ffs (rw, local, nodev, wxallowed)

Warning! The following filesystems were not properly mounted:

        /mnt (123efb4cf9e3e6af.a)
Continue anyway? [no]

Any suggestion as to what I can do to make the upgrade continue? I have attached screenshot for further information.

Thanks

Screen Shot 2019-05-11 at 8.43.13 am.png (177K) Download Attachment

Re: Error Upgrading 6.4 to 6.5 mount failure

Theo de Raadt-2
Antonino Sidoti <[hidden email]> wrote:

[1. image/png; Screen Shot 2019-05-11 at 8.43.13 am.png]...
Antonino,

If you can't file a proper bug report as described in many places --
such as the FAQ -- that is just lazy and inconsiderate.  You are pushing
others to go out of their way for some random person who elects to steal
their time.

Grow up.  Be a responsibile adult.  Do it right, or go run something
else, or even consider buying a product.

Re: Error Upgrading 6.4 to 6.5 mount failure

Antonino Sidoti
I actually got it to upgrade;

Here are my steps;

I tried the ‘bsd.rd’ option and this failed too
I rebooted the server back to OpenBSD 6.4
I ran ‘fsck’ on my my partitions and they came back all clean
I made a change to /etc/fstab using ‘vi’ and changed the following;
From = 123efb4cf9e3e6af.a / ffs rw,1 1
To = 123efb4cf9e3e6af.a / ffs rw 1 1
Saved my changes and rebooted again to make sure all partitions will mount
No issue after the reboot and all partition mounted
Rebooted to start upgrade; 'boot bsd.rd’
I selected ‘u’ to upgrade
System upgraded with no errors and now I am running 6.5

Thanks for your input and suggestions.

> On 11 May 2019, at 11:34 am, Theo de Raadt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Antonino Sidoti <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> [1. image/png; Screen Shot 2019-05-11 at 8.43.13 am.png]...
> Antonino,
>
> If you can't file a proper bug report as described in many places --
> such as the FAQ -- that is just lazy and inconsiderate.  You are pushing
> others to go out of their way for some random person who elects to steal
> their time.
>
> Grow up.  Be a responsibile adult.  Do it right, or go run something
> else, or even consider buying a product.

Re: Error Upgrading 6.4 to 6.5 mount failure

Jeffrey Joshua Rollin-2
A more interesting question is, why "rw," with a comma,  worked on 6.4 but not 6.5.

⁣Get BlueMail for Android ​

On 11 May 2019, 23:28, at 23:28, Antonino Sidoti <[hidden email]> wrote:

>I actually got it to upgrade;
>
>Here are my steps;
>
>I tried the ‘bsd.rd’ option and this failed too
>I rebooted the server back to OpenBSD 6.4
>I ran ‘fsck’ on my my partitions and they came back all clean
>I made a change to /etc/fstab using ‘vi’ and changed the following;
>From = 123efb4cf9e3e6af.a / ffs rw,1 1
>To = 123efb4cf9e3e6af.a / ffs rw 1 1
>Saved my changes and rebooted again to make sure all partitions will
>mount
>No issue after the reboot and all partition mounted
>Rebooted to start upgrade; 'boot bsd.rd’
>I selected ‘u’ to upgrade
>System upgraded with no errors and now I am running 6.5
>
>Thanks for your input and suggestions.
>
>> On 11 May 2019, at 11:34 am, Theo de Raadt <[hidden email]>
>wrote:
>>
>> Antonino Sidoti <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> [1. image/png; Screen Shot 2019-05-11 at 8.43.13 am.png]...
>
>> Antonino,
>>
>> If you can't file a proper bug report as described in many places --
>> such as the FAQ -- that is just lazy and inconsiderate.  You are
>pushing
>> others to go out of their way for some random person who elects to
>steal
>> their time.
>>
>> Grow up.  Be a responsibile adult.  Do it right, or go run something
>> else, or even consider buying a product.

Re: Error Upgrading 6.4 to 6.5 mount failure

Otto Moerbeek
On Sun, May 12, 2019 at 09:40:06AM +0100, Jeffrey Joshua Rollin wrote:

> A more interesting question is, why "rw," with a comma,  worked on 6.4 but not 6.5.

I think the difference is that fstab parsing by mount is less strict
than the upgrade script's parsing; it "manually" parses fstab to
constuct teh target's tree under /mnt, see munge_fstab() in
src/distrib/miniroot/install.sub.

        -Otto