Epson ESC/P-R driver

Ed Gray
Hi,

I'm a user of OpenBSD on a couple of my machines and I'd like to use
my Epson Expression Home XP 342 printer directly with them. The
printer is wireless and so doesn't need a USB driver.

I found this thread[1] on the list from a long time ago (January 2014)
where someone helped Maurice Mcarthy get his Epson Stylus SX205
working by providing a port called print/epson-inkjet-printer-escpr.

It seems to be an OpenBSD version of the FreeBSD
epson-inkjet-printer-escpr port[2] but I can't find any reference to
this port in the OpenBSD ports CVS repository so I wonder was it
something somebody created privately or was it removed for a reason?

My printer is supported by version 1.6.9 of the Epson ESC/P-R driver
onwards and as far as I can tell is not supported by Gutenprint yet.

I would be happy to compile the driver from source myself but I was
unable to do this and I would rather use a port to make it easy to
install and remove.

Given some directions I might also be able to use the FreeBSD port if
it's a simple enough process to convert it.

Please could you tell me if this port is still available for recent
versions of OpenBSD? If not perhaps the older version might be updated
for OpenBSD 6.4 and recent printers?

Regards
Ed Gray ([hidden email]) OpenBSD 6.4 user

Links:
1: https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-ports&m=139092148214440&w=2
2: https://www.freshports.org/print/epson-inkjet-printer-escpr/

Re: Epson ESC/P-R driver

Stuart Henderson
On 2019/09/20 17:41, Ed Gray wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm a user of OpenBSD on a couple of my machines and I'd like to use
> my Epson Expression Home XP 342 printer directly with them. The
> printer is wireless and so doesn't need a USB driver.
>
> I found this thread[1] on the list from a long time ago (January 2014)
> where someone helped Maurice Mcarthy get his Epson Stylus SX205
> working by providing a port called print/epson-inkjet-printer-escpr.
>
> It seems to be an OpenBSD version of the FreeBSD
> epson-inkjet-printer-escpr port[2] but I can't find any reference to
> this port in the OpenBSD ports CVS repository so I wonder was it
> something somebody created privately or was it removed for a reason?
>
> My printer is supported by version 1.6.9 of the Epson ESC/P-R driver
> onwards and as far as I can tell is not supported by Gutenprint yet.
>
> I would be happy to compile the driver from source myself but I was
> unable to do this and I would rather use a port to make it easy to
> install and remove.
>
> Given some directions I might also be able to use the FreeBSD port if
> it's a simple enough process to convert it.
>
> Please could you tell me if this port is still available for recent
> versions of OpenBSD? If not perhaps the older version might be updated
> for OpenBSD 6.4 and recent printers?
>
> Regards
> Ed Gray ([hidden email]) OpenBSD 6.4 user
>
> Links:
> 1: https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-ports&m=139092148214440&w=2
> 2: https://www.freshports.org/print/epson-inkjet-printer-escpr/

The port was only in attachments to the emails in that thread, it was
never committed. I've attached an updated version for -current, I don't
have time to backport it for 6.4 though.

epson-inkjet-printer-escpr.tgz (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Epson ESC/P-R driver

Antoine Jacoutot-7
Thanks Stuart. I will have a look.

Antoine

> On 21 Sep 2019, at 19:10, Stuart Henderson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 2019/09/20 17:41, Ed Gray wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm a user of OpenBSD on a couple of my machines and I'd like to use
>> my Epson Expression Home XP 342 printer directly with them. The
>> printer is wireless and so doesn't need a USB driver.
>>
>> I found this thread[1] on the list from a long time ago (January 2014)
>> where someone helped Maurice Mcarthy get his Epson Stylus SX205
>> working by providing a port called print/epson-inkjet-printer-escpr.
>>
>> It seems to be an OpenBSD version of the FreeBSD
>> epson-inkjet-printer-escpr port[2] but I can't find any reference to
>> this port in the OpenBSD ports CVS repository so I wonder was it
>> something somebody created privately or was it removed for a reason?
>>
>> My printer is supported by version 1.6.9 of the Epson ESC/P-R driver
>> onwards and as far as I can tell is not supported by Gutenprint yet.
>>
>> I would be happy to compile the driver from source myself but I was
>> unable to do this and I would rather use a port to make it easy to
>> install and remove.
>>
>> Given some directions I might also be able to use the FreeBSD port if
>> it's a simple enough process to convert it.
>>
>> Please could you tell me if this port is still available for recent
>> versions of OpenBSD? If not perhaps the older version might be updated
>> for OpenBSD 6.4 and recent printers?
>>
>> Regards
>> Ed Gray ([hidden email]) OpenBSD 6.4 user
>>
>> Links:
>> 1: https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-ports&m=139092148214440&w=2
>> 2: https://www.freshports.org/print/epson-inkjet-printer-escpr/
>>

> The port was only in attachments to the emails in that thread, it was
> never committed. I've attached an updated version for -current, I don't
> have time to backport it for 6.4 though.
>
> <epson-inkjet-printer-escpr.tgz>

Re: Epson ESC/P-R driver

Ed Gray
Thanks to both of you for looking into this for me.

It seems Epson use an automated download server which changes the location
with each new release.

I did get a copy of the port that was uploaded in 2014 but it stops in the
early stages (something about the devel/gettext) module missing from my
system. I can see gettext is available as a port but I already have the
package version installed on the system.

I'm guessing the libraries that version depends on would have changed in a
new release.

I do have some software development experience but don't know enough about
the ports system and OpenBSD to adjust the port for my system.

Regards
Ed Gray

On Sat, 21 Sep 2019, 7:50 p.m. Antoine Jacoutot, <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Thanks Stuart. I will have a look.
>

> —
> Antoine
>
> > On 21 Sep 2019, at 19:10, Stuart Henderson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On 2019/09/20 17:41, Ed Gray wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I'm a user of OpenBSD on a couple of my machines and I'd like to use
> >> my Epson Expression Home XP 342 printer directly with them. The
> >> printer is wireless and so doesn't need a USB driver.
> >>
> >> I found this thread[1] on the list from a long time ago (January 2014)
> >> where someone helped Maurice Mcarthy get his Epson Stylus SX205
> >> working by providing a port called print/epson-inkjet-printer-escpr.
> >>
> >> It seems to be an OpenBSD version of the FreeBSD
> >> epson-inkjet-printer-escpr port[2] but I can't find any reference to
> >> this port in the OpenBSD ports CVS repository so I wonder was it
> >> something somebody created privately or was it removed for a reason?
> >>
> >> My printer is supported by version 1.6.9 of the Epson ESC/P-R driver
> >> onwards and as far as I can tell is not supported by Gutenprint yet.
> >>
> >> I would be happy to compile the driver from source myself but I was
> >> unable to do this and I would rather use a port to make it easy to
> >> install and remove.
> >>
> >> Given some directions I might also be able to use the FreeBSD port if
> >> it's a simple enough process to convert it.
> >>
> >> Please could you tell me if this port is still available for recent
> >> versions of OpenBSD? If not perhaps the older version might be updated
> >> for OpenBSD 6.4 and recent printers?
> >>
> >> Regards
> >> Ed Gray ([hidden email]) OpenBSD 6.4 user
> >>
> >> Links:
> >> 1: https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-ports&m=139092148214440&w=2
> >> 2: https://www.freshports.org/print/epson-inkjet-printer-escpr/
> >>

> > The port was only in attachments to the emails in that thread, it was
> > never committed. I've attached an updated version for -current, I don't
> > have time to backport it for 6.4 though.
> >
> > <epson-inkjet-printer-escpr.tgz>

Re: Epson ESC/P-R driver

Antoine Jacoutot-7
> The port was only in attachments to the emails in that thread, it was
> never committed. I've attached an updated version for -current, I don't
> have time to backport it for 6.4 though.

Hi Stuart.

I reworked the port a bit and added some patches from FreeBSD which fixed
multiple warnings.
I am also taking MAINTAINER (like I do with most (all?) print ports).

Ed, it'd be nice if you could test with your printer.

OK to import?

--
Antoine

epson-inkjet-printer-escpr.tgz (8K) Download Attachment

Re: Epson ESC/P-R driver

Stuart Henderson-6
On 2019/09/29 11:19, Antoine Jacoutot wrote:

> > The port was only in attachments to the emails in that thread, it was
> > never committed. I've attached an updated version for -current, I don't
> > have time to backport it for 6.4 though.
>
> Hi Stuart.
>
> I reworked the port a bit and added some patches from FreeBSD which fixed
> multiple warnings.
> I am also taking MAINTAINER (like I do with most (all?) print ports).
>
> Ed, it'd be nice if you could test with your printer.
>
> OK to import?
>
> --
> Antoine

I'm not sure why they added patch-lib_epson-typedefs_h, it doesn't fix any
warnings and may break arm/powerpc so I'd prefer to drop that unless you have
an idea?

Otherwise OK but I don't have an epson printer to test. It would definitely be
nice to have this in ports.

Re: Epson ESC/P-R driver

gjones5555

On 2019/09/29 11:19, Antoine Jacoutot wrote:

> I am also taking MAINTAINER (like I do with most (all?) print ports).

You have done a great job with hplip!

Re: Epson ESC/P-R driver

Antoine Jacoutot-7
> I'm not sure why they added patch-lib_epson-typedefs_h, it doesn't fix any
> warnings and may break arm/powerpc so I'd prefer to drop that unless you have
> an idea?
>
> Otherwise OK but I don't have an epson printer to test. It would definitely be
> nice to have this in ports.

Committed with patch-lib_epson-typedefs_h removed.
Thank you all.

Antoine

Re: Epson ESC/P-R driver

Ed Gray
Thanks Antoine, Stuart,

I'll try and test it this morning.

Regards
Ed Gray

On Sun, 29 Sep 2019 at 14:43, Antoine Jacoutot <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > I'm not sure why they added patch-lib_epson-typedefs_h, it doesn't fix any
> > warnings and may break arm/powerpc so I'd prefer to drop that unless you have
> > an idea?
> >
> > Otherwise OK but I don't have an epson printer to test. It would definitely be
> > nice to have this in ports.
>
> Committed with patch-lib_epson-typedefs_h removed.
> Thank you all.

> Antoine

Re: Epson ESC/P-R driver

Ed Gray
Hi,

Firstly I'm new to working with ports, I have read most of the ports
FAQ and a good deal of the ports manpage (although some of it is maybe
not relevant to basic use). I've not configured the ports tree in any
way other than downloading the ports.tar.gz file from the 6.4 release,
extracting it in /usr/ports and rebuilding the index.

So trying this on: OpenBSD 6.4 (GENERIC.MP) #2: Thu Aug  8 10:18:26 MDT 2019
    [hidden email]:/usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile/GENERIC.MP

Using the attached file epson-inkjet-printer-escpr.tgz in
/usr/ports/mystuff/print:
#make

It stops at the build target with an error message:
===>  Building for epson-inkjet-printer-escpr-1.7.3
make: cannot open Makefile.
*** Error 2 in . (/usr/ports/infrastructure/mk/bsd.port.mk:2757
'/usr/ports/pobj/epson-inkjet-printer-escpr-1.7.3/.build_done')
*** Error 1 in /usr/ports/mystuff/print/epson-inkjet-printer-escpr
(/usr/ports/infrastructure/mk/bsd.port.mk:2444 'all')

There is an additional error about licensing but I'm not sure it's relevant:
The licensing info for epson-inkjet-printer-escpr-1.7.3 is incomplete.
(in print/epson-inkjet-printer-escpr)
Please notify the OpenBSD port maintainer: (in print/epson-inkjet-printer-escpr)
    Antoine Jacoutot <[hidden email]> (in
print/epson-inkjet-printer-escpr)

Attached are the logs from portslogger.

Regards
Ed Gray

On Mon, 30 Sep 2019 at 11:49, Ed Gray <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Antoine, Stuart,
>
> I'll try and test it this morning.
>
> Regards
> Ed Gray
>
> On Sun, 29 Sep 2019 at 14:43, Antoine Jacoutot <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > I'm not sure why they added patch-lib_epson-typedefs_h, it doesn't fix any
> > > warnings and may break arm/powerpc so I'd prefer to drop that unless you have
> > > an idea?
> > >
> > > Otherwise OK but I don't have an epson printer to test. It would definitely be
> > > nice to have this in ports.
> >
> > Committed with patch-lib_epson-typedefs_h removed.
> > Thank you all.
> >
> > --
> > Antoine

default.log (2K) Download Attachment
epson-inkjet-printer-escpr-1.7.3.log (10K) Download Attachment

Re: Epson ESC/P-R driver

Kurt Mosiejczuk-9
On Mon, Sep 30, 2019 at 03:08:28PM +0100, Ed Gray wrote:

> Firstly I'm new to working with ports, I have read most of the ports
> FAQ and a good deal of the ports manpage (although some of it is maybe
> not relevant to basic use). I've not configured the ports tree in any
> way other than downloading the ports.tar.gz file from the 6.4 release,
> extracting it in /usr/ports and rebuilding the index.

Ports is developed on current. Many many things have changed in the ports
infrastructure since 6.4 (even 6.5).

--Kurt

Re: Epson ESC/P-R driver

Ed Gray
Hi Kurt,

I realise ports is developed on current but I am not running current
as I'm not a developer. This thread was originally about a port that
came from FreeBSD and wasn't part of current but was attached to the
list several years ago.

Being new to this list I assumed it wasn't limited to ports in current
but I can appreciate that there are only limited developers in the
project and it may not be possible to provide advice or ports for
previous releases.

I understand that Stuart and Antoine have committed this to current. I
was trying to test on 6.4 release and hit some problems, I will do
some more reading about the ports system and try to confirm if there's
something wrong on my machine. I gather that 6.6 is getting ready for
release and I would like to upgrade to the most recent but have not
had time to do so.

Regards
Ed Gray

On Mon, 30 Sep 2019 at 15:26, Kurt Mosiejczuk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 30, 2019 at 03:08:28PM +0100, Ed Gray wrote:
>
> > Firstly I'm new to working with ports, I have read most of the ports
> > FAQ and a good deal of the ports manpage (although some of it is maybe
> > not relevant to basic use). I've not configured the ports tree in any
> > way other than downloading the ports.tar.gz file from the 6.4 release,
> > extracting it in /usr/ports and rebuilding the index.
>
> Ports is developed on current. Many many things have changed in the ports
> infrastructure since 6.4 (even 6.5).
>
> --Kurt

Re: Epson ESC/P-R driver

Stuart Henderson
On 2019/10/14 18:17, Ed Gray wrote:
> Hi Kurt,
>
> I realise ports is developed on current but I am not running current
> as I'm not a developer. This thread was originally about a port that
> came from FreeBSD and wasn't part of current but was attached to the
> list several years ago.

The port did not come from FreeBSD, I wrote it myself.

Current is not just for developers, it is for anyone. We work on a
single branch of development - it is not a separate branch where things
are tried before going into a release. It is never intended to be
unreliable (though obviously releases are cut at a time when we feel
bigger changes have matured).

The main thing with -current is that it's fluid and sometimes interfaces
and libraries change, as a result of this you need to be prepared to do
another upgrade of base+packages if it's been a while since you last
updated and you want to install a new package.

> Being new to this list I assumed it wasn't limited to ports in current
> but I can appreciate that there are only limited developers in the
> project and it may not be possible to provide advice or ports for
> previous releases.
>
> I understand that Stuart and Antoine have committed this to current. I
> was trying to test on 6.4 release and hit some problems, I will do
> some more reading about the ports system and try to confirm if there's
> something wrong on my machine. I gather that 6.6 is getting ready for
> release and I would like to upgrade to the most recent but have not
> had time to do so.

Soon. While I can't say what's currently available will be the final
release (sometimes last minute changes occur), if you pick up a snapshot
now that identifies itself as 6.6 (before new "6.6-current" ones are
available) you can cleanly upgrade from there to the 6.6 release and
switch back to releases again at that point.