Enterprise T5120 detecting only 8GB RAM although 32GB installed

Enterprise T5120 detecting only 8GB RAM although 32GB installed

Raymundo Soto
Hi everyone,

Has anyone been through this before?

I have checked the sanity of all the DIMMs via ILOM (fault_state shows OK for each and every one of them) and have of course verified that they are physically, correctly placed in their slots. This is also not a missmatch problem since they are simmetrically positioned (all 16 slots are used with 2GB modules). Both dmesg and sysctl hw.* show the same.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

RS.-

Re: Enterprise T5120 detecting only 8GB RAM although 32GB installed

Mark Kettenis
> Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2019 15:35:51 +0200
> From: Raymundo Soto <[hidden email]>
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> Has anyone been through this before?
>
> I have checked the sanity of all the DIMMs via ILOM (fault_state
> shows OK for each and every one of them) and have of course verified
> that they are physically, correctly placed in their slots. This is
> also not a missmatch problem since they are simmetrically positioned
> (all 16 slots are used with 2GB modules). Both dmesg and sysctl hw.*
> show the same.
>
> Any advice greatly appreciated.

If you have a logical domain configuration you might need to
regenerate the configuration to make it aware of the additional
memory.  This might involve switching back to the factory-default
config.  If you use OpenBSD's ldomctl(8) to generate the configuration
you'll need to use the dump command and use the result as the base of
your config.

Cheers,

Mark

Re: Enterprise T5120 detecting only 8GB RAM although 32GB installed

Raymundo Soto
Thanks for the insight, Mark.

Being new in the SPARC architecture, I was completely unaware of ldoms
For that reason, I deleted them until I can understand them better.
Now, of course I can see all my RAM and CPUs in dmesg.

Besides ldomctl(8) and ldom.conf (5), have you written any other
resources so one can get his feet wet in this topic?

Cheers and thanks again,

RS.-

* Mark Kettenis <[hidden email]>:

> > Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2019 15:35:51 +0200
> > From: Raymundo Soto <[hidden email]>
> >
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > Has anyone been through this before?
> >
> > I have checked the sanity of all the DIMMs via ILOM (fault_state
> > shows OK for each and every one of them) and have of course verified
> > that they are physically, correctly placed in their slots. This is
> > also not a missmatch problem since they are simmetrically positioned
> > (all 16 slots are used with 2GB modules). Both dmesg and sysctl hw.*
> > show the same.
> >
> > Any advice greatly appreciated.
>
> If you have a logical domain configuration you might need to
> regenerate the configuration to make it aware of the additional
> memory.  This might involve switching back to the factory-default
> config.  If you use OpenBSD's ldomctl(8) to generate the configuration
> you'll need to use the dump command and use the result as the base of
> your config.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mark

Re: Enterprise T5120 detecting only 8GB RAM although 32GB installed

Joerg Sievers
Hi,

Search for "LDOM Getting Started" on your favourite search engine and
use the good old Sun documentation (mostly PDF) or the Internet archieve.

LDOM is IMHO *the* key feature of the T* SPARC machines and I've worked
with T5140 and it was a rock solid environment for development and
testing on ONE machine with different instances. Miss the old Sun...

Yours,
Jogi

--
22926 Ahrensburg