Enigmail & Thunderbird: Enigmime Service not available

Enigmail & Thunderbird: Enigmime Service not available

Stephan A. Rickauer
When trying to sign messages in thunderbird, I'll get

   "Enigmime Service not available. Failed to initialize Enigmail."

on OpenBSD 4.0 Snapshot (2006-12-15), i386.

   enigmail-0.94.1 (installed as requested by install-message)
   mozilla-thunderbird-1.5.0.8p1
   nspr-4.6.4p1

installed from [2]

Is this a known issue? I've found [1] where someone got something
similar, but thinks there are no enigmail or thunderbird packages - so
probably irrelevant.

Let me know if I can help any further.

[1] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=openbsd-misc&m=115797922208966&w=2
[2] http://mirror.switch.ch/ftp/pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/packages/i386/

--

 Stephan A. Rickauer

 Institut für Neuroinformatik          Tel: +41 44 635 30 50
 Universität / ETH Zürich              Sek: +41 44 635 30 52
 Winterthurerstrasse 190               Fax: +41 44 635 30 53
 CH-8057 Zürich                        Web:  www.ini.ethz.ch

 RSA public key: https://www.ini.ethz.ch/~stephan/pubkey.asc

Re: Enigmail & Thunderbird: Enigmime Service not available

Martynas Venckus-2
No such issue here.

I don't have thunderbird with internal nss, could you please try:
http://www.altroot.org/mozilla-thunderbird-1.5.0.8p2.patch

(And recompile both mozilla-thunderbird and enigmail).

Martynas Venckus

Re: Enigmail & Thunderbird: Enigmime Service not available

Kurt Miller-4
On Monday 18 December 2006 4:35 am, Stephan A. Rickauer wrote:

> When trying to sign messages in thunderbird, I'll get
>
>    "Enigmime Service not available. Failed to initialize Enigmail."
>
> on OpenBSD 4.0 Snapshot (2006-12-15), i386.
>
>    enigmail-0.94.1 (installed as requested by install-message)
>    mozilla-thunderbird-1.5.0.8p1
>    nspr-4.6.4p1
>
> installed from [2]
>
> Is this a known issue? I've found [1] where someone got something
> similar, but thinks there are no enigmail or thunderbird packages - so
> probably irrelevant.
>
> Let me know if I can help any further.
>

> [1] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=openbsd-misc&m=115797922208966&w=2
> [2] http://mirror.switch.ch/ftp/pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/packages/i386/

This is working for me with the same versions of the packages
you listed. I built them myself instead of from snapshots though.
AFAICT, system nss doesn't effect this. Have you tried some
of the suggestions in the install message like creating a new
profile?

-Kurt

Kurt Miller wrote:
> This is working for me with the same versions of the packages
> you listed. I built them myself instead of from snapshots though.
> AFAICT, system nss doesn't effect this. Have you tried some
> of the suggestions in the install message like creating a new
> profile?

After the problems with the packages I've also compiled from ports and
had the same effect. Since I've migrated my profile from linux
originally, I did move it away first and started a brand new
~/.thunderbird from scratch.

Martynas Venckus wrote:
> No such issue here.
>
> I don't have thunderbird with internal nss, could you please try:
> http://www.altroot.org/mozilla-thunderbird-1.5.0.8p2.patch
>
> (And recompile both mozilla-thunderbird and enigmail).

Thanks for the patch. However, the newly compiled
mozilla-thunderbird-1.5.0.8p2 doesn't fix my problem.
I must be missing something very crucial, but I just don't know what.
I've also tried to start with a fresh .gnupg but it woudn't help.

Stephan

On Tuesday 19 December 2006 3:05 am, Stephan A. Rickauer wrote:

> Kurt Miller wrote:
> > This is working for me with the same versions of the packages
> > you listed. I built them myself instead of from snapshots though.
> > AFAICT, system nss doesn't effect this. Have you tried some
> > of the suggestions in the install message like creating a new
> > profile?
>
> After the problems with the packages I've also compiled from ports and
> had the same effect. Since I've migrated my profile from linux
> originally, I did move it away first and started a brand new
> ~/.thunderbird from scratch.

Not sure what it could be at the moment. Perhaps you are
picking up an old shared lib from a .libs package. What
does ls -d /var/db/pkg/.libs-* show? Try pkg_deleting
the ones that are not needed anymore - keep note of what
you pkg_delete.

Also could you capture your LD_DEBUG output and send
to me?

export LD_DEBUG=1
nohup thunderbird

reproduce the problem, exit thunderbird and send
me the nohup.out file gzip'ed.

-Kurt

Re: Enigmail & Thunderbird: Enigmime Service not available

Kurt Miller-4
On Tuesday 19 December 2006 3:05 am, Stephan A. Rickauer wrote:

> Kurt Miller wrote:
> > This is working for me with the same versions of the packages
> > you listed. I built them myself instead of from snapshots though.
> > AFAICT, system nss doesn't effect this. Have you tried some
> > of the suggestions in the install message like creating a new
> > profile?
>
> After the problems with the packages I've also compiled from ports and
> had the same effect. Since I've migrated my profile from linux
> originally, I did move it away first and started a brand new
> ~/.thunderbird from scratch.
I still can't reproduce your particular problem, but
I have noticed that enigmail installs its shared lib
in the ~/.thunderbird profile dir. This is going to
be problematic for upgrades.

Please uninstall enigmail from thunderbird (Tools ->
Extensions -> Enigmail -> Uninstall) and try the
attached diff. It installs enigmail into the global
extensions dir.

-Kurt

enigmail.diff (4K) Download Attachment

Kurt Miller wrote:
> Not sure what it could be at the moment. Perhaps you are
> picking up an old shared lib from a .libs package. What
> does ls -d /var/db/pkg/.libs-* show? Try pkg_deleting

~> ls -d /var/db/pkg/.libs-*
ls: /var/db/pkg/.libs-*: No such file or directory

> export LD_DEBUG=1
> nohup thunderbird

> reproduce the problem, exit thunderbird and send
> me the nohup.out file gzip'ed.

pls. find attached - and thanks for your help!

Stephan

nohup.out.gz (18K) Download Attachment

Kurt Miller wrote:

> On Tuesday 19 December 2006 3:05 am, Stephan A. Rickauer wrote:
>> Kurt Miller wrote:
>>> This is working for me with the same versions of the packages
>>> you listed. I built them myself instead of from snapshots though.
>>> AFAICT, system nss doesn't effect this. Have you tried some
>>> of the suggestions in the install message like creating a new
>>> profile?
>> After the problems with the packages I've also compiled from ports and
>> had the same effect. Since I've migrated my profile from linux
>> originally, I did move it away first and started a brand new
>> ~/.thunderbird from scratch.
>
> I still can't reproduce your particular problem, but
> I have noticed that enigmail installs its shared lib
> in the ~/.thunderbird profile dir. This is going to
> be problematic for upgrades.
>
> Please uninstall enigmail from thunderbird (Tools ->
> Extensions -> Enigmail -> Uninstall) and try the
> attached diff. It installs enigmail into the global
> extensions dir.
I've done so. Your diff applies cleanly, 'make' worked, 'make install'
failed and complained about missing enigmime library. I thought I might
have a messed up ports tree, so I wiped it out and cvs'ed it completely
from scratch. Applying your diff, 'make' and 'make install' worked fine
then.

Starting thunderbird with the previously removed enigmail extension
showed enigmail installed again, without having to go over the Extension
Manager. However, my problem persists: Enigmime service unavailable.

I've redone this step with LD_DEBUG=1 and have another nohup attached.
This is really curious, because no one seems to be able to reproduce
this problem. ;(

One question. In your previous mail you've asked me to pkg_delete
whatever is no longer needed. I didn't quite understand what you meant
by that, so I've missed that step so far.

Stephan

nohup.out.gz (20K) Download Attachment

Forgotten to mention I did this on a freshly squeezed .thunderbird

Re: Enigmail & Thunderbird: Enigmime Service not available

Kurt Miller-4
I sent this yesterday but it got lost by my isp.

On Wednesday 20 December 2006 3:31 am, Stephan A. Rickauer wrote:

> Kurt Miller wrote:
> >> After the problems with the packages I've also compiled from ports and
> >> had the same effect. Since I've migrated my profile from linux
> >> originally, I did move it away first and started a brand new
> >> ~/.thunderbird from scratch.
> >
> > I still can't reproduce your particular problem, but
> > I have noticed that enigmail installs its shared lib
> > in the ~/.thunderbird profile dir. This is going to
> > be problematic for upgrades.
> >
> > Please uninstall enigmail from thunderbird (Tools ->
> > Extensions -> Enigmail -> Uninstall) and try the
> > attached diff. It installs enigmail into the global
> > extensions dir.
>
> I've done so. Your diff applies cleanly, 'make' worked, 'make install'
> failed and complained about missing enigmime library. I thought I might
> have a messed up ports tree, so I wiped it out and cvs'ed it completely
> from scratch. Applying your diff, 'make' and 'make install' worked fine
> then.
>

> Starting thunderbird with the previously removed enigmail extension
> showed enigmail installed again, without having to go over the Extension
> Manager. However, my problem persists: Enigmime service unavailable.
enigmail's shared lib version (SO_VERSION) must match
thunderbird's or thunderbird doesn't see it. This appears
to be the problem you've been having all along. First
it was outdated shared libs in ~/.thunderbird. Now that's
fixed you are still seeing the problem because you've got
thunderbird installed with SO_VERSION 12.0 (from the nss
patch), but enigmail with SO_VERSION 11.0.

At a minimum the LIB_DEPENDS in my patch will need to
be tightened up to exactly match the thunderbird package
it was intended to be matched with. That means both
SO_VERSION and LIB_DEPENDS in enigmail will need to be
manually kept in synch after each update to thunderbird.
That's not ideal. Not sure yet if a better solution
will be found.

I've attached an updated diff that should work with
thunderbird 1.5.0.9 that was just committed.

> I've redone this step with LD_DEBUG=1 and have another nohup attached.
> This is really curious, because no one seems to be able to reproduce
> this problem. ;(
>
> One question. In your previous mail you've asked me to pkg_delete
> whatever is no longer needed. I didn't quite understand what you meant
> by that, so I've missed that step so far.

That was a shot in the dark. You didn't have any .libs packages
left over from upgrades so there was nothing to pkg_delete.