Edit /etc/boot.conf

Sagar Acharya
I want to install OpenBSD 6.8 on A20-OLinuXino-Lime2 . With unicorn's help, I followed this tutorial,
https://regrow.earth/openbsd-on-olinuxino-lime2/
And completed the 2 dd command steps as shown in the blog. The resultant partitioning is
1- 16MB unallocated
2- sdb1 fat16 BOOT 2MB
3- sdb4 ufs no_label 15MB
4- rest unallocated

The problem is I don't have a USB-serial cable. I want to somehow edit the /etc/boot.conf before inserting it in Lime2.

ufs partition is write-protected and I can mount it read-only.

Is there a way to change the configuration to hdmi somehow?

Thanking you
Sagar Acharya

Re: Edit /etc/boot.conf

Mark Kettenis
> Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2020 17:55:33 +0100 (CET)
> From: Sagar Acharya <[hidden email]>
>
> I want to install OpenBSD 6.8 on A20-OLinuXino-Lime2 . With unicorn's help, I followed this tutorial,
> https://regrow.earth/openbsd-on-olinuxino-lime2/
> And completed the 2 dd command steps as shown in the blog. The resultant partitioning is
> 1- 16MB unallocated
> 2- sdb1 fat16 BOOT 2MB
> 3- sdb4 ufs no_label 15MB
> 4- rest unallocated
>
> The problem is I don't have a USB-serial cable. I want to somehow edit the /etc/boot.conf before inserting it in Lime2.
>
> ufs partition is write-protected and I can mount it read-only.
>
> Is there a way to change the configuration to hdmi somehow?

If U-Boot includes support for HDMI you can use it as the output by
typing "set tty fb0" at the boot> prompt.

Re: Edit /etc/boot.conf

Bodie-3

On 5.12.2020 17:55, Sagar Acharya wrote:

> I want to install OpenBSD 6.8 on A20-OLinuXino-Lime2 . With unicorn's
> help, I followed this tutorial,
> https://regrow.earth/openbsd-on-olinuxino-lime2/
> And completed the 2 dd command steps as shown in the blog. The
> resultant partitioning is
> 1- 16MB unallocated
> 2- sdb1 fat16 BOOT 2MB
> 3- sdb4 ufs no_label 15MB
> 4- rest unallocated
>
> The problem is I don't have a USB-serial cable. I want to somehow edit
> the /etc/boot.conf before inserting it in Lime2.
>
> ufs partition is write-protected and I can mount it read-only.
>
> Is there a way to change the configuration to hdmi somehow?
>
> Thanking you
> Sagar Acharya

Hi,

this should be maybe easier for inspiration

http://philip.xinqu.net/orangepi.html

adr

Re: Edit /etc/boot.conf

adr
> I want to install OpenBSD 6.8 on A20-OLinuXino-Lime2 . With unicorn's
> help, I followed this tutorial,
> https://regrow.earth/openbsd-on-olinuxino-lime2/
> And completed the 2 dd command steps as shown in the blog. The
> resultant partitioning is
> 1- 16MB unallocated
> 2- sdb1 fat16 BOOT 2MB
> 3- sdb4 ufs no_label 15MB
> 4- rest unallocated

I recommend you to follow the official instructions, if you are
installing 6.8 follow this:

  https://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/6.8/armv7/INSTALL.armv7

For the u-boot and dtb, you can use the openbsd packages:

https://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/6.8/packages/aarch64/u-boot-arm-2020.07p0.tgz
https://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/6.8/packages/aarch64/dtb-5.7p0.tgz

Extract them and search for your u-boot-sunxi-with-spl.bin and dtb.

If you have a problem with the ethernet device, share it and maybe some developer
will add the patch to the u-boot package.

> The problem is I don't have a USB-serial cable.

If you are going to use these arm boards, you need one, really.
These are very cheap but well built:

https://aliexpress.com/item/32668866076.html

I've problems with cu(1). If that is your case try minicom.

> I want to somehow edit the /etc/boot.conf before inserting it in Lime2.
> ufs partition is write-protected and I can mount it read-only.

From your mail I'm supposing you are in a linux machine, trying
to mount the ffs partition. The partition is not write-protected
(unless you are using a micro-sd adapter with the switch on). What
happens is that the ffs module is compiled almost always read
only, the write support is considered dangerous.

If you don't want to install openbsd in the machine you are preparing the
sd card, I recommend you to install a virtual openbsd machine in qemu and
access the card from there.

> Is there a way to change the configuration to hdmi somehow?

Note that you are not configuring openbsd to use hdmi. There is no support for it.
What you are doing is configuring the system to use the framebuffer passed by
u-boot. You have to connect the board to the monitor before turning it on, or u-boot
will not detect it.

After adding "set tty fb0" to /etc/boot.conf, you will have problems with
xenodm. Try restarting it, or maybe you'll have more luck than me with this

https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-arm&m=160284947222088&w=2

Regards,
adr.

adr

Re: Edit /etc/boot.conf

adr
> After adding "set tty fb0" to /etc/boot.conf, you will have problems with
> xenodm. Try restarting it, or maybe you'll have more luck than me with this
>
> https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-arm&m=160284947222088&w=2

Just for clarity:

I mean more luck than me in getting the diff commited...

Xenodm will work without any problem after that.

The only thing is that the mouse and keyboard has to been plugged before
xenodm starts. After that you can unplugg and plug it again without
problems. I suppose this is an issue with ws(4), I've not looked
at it. The same on arm64.

Re: Edit /etc/boot.conf

Mark Kettenis
> Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2020 14:44:04 +0000
> From: [hidden email]
>
> > After adding "set tty fb0" to /etc/boot.conf, you will have problems with
> > xenodm. Try restarting it, or maybe you'll have more luck than me with this
> >
> > https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-arm&m=160284947222088&w=2
>
> Just for clarity:
>
> I mean more luck than me in getting the diff commited...
>
> Xenodm will work without any problem after that.
>
> The only thing is that the mouse and keyboard has to been plugged before
> xenodm starts. After that you can unplugg and plug it again without
> problems. I suppose this is an issue with ws(4), I've not looked
> at it. The same on arm64.

Not all developers read arm@.  I've tweaked your diff a bit and sent
it to tech@ instead.

Cheers,

Mark

adr

Re: Edit /etc/boot.conf

adr
On Sun, Dec 06, 2020 at 04:22:29PM +0100, Mark Kettenis wrote:

> > Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2020 14:44:04 +0000
> > From: [hidden email]
> >
> > > After adding "set tty fb0" to /etc/boot.conf, you will have problems with
> > > xenodm. Try restarting it, or maybe you'll have more luck than me with this
> > >
> > > https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-arm&m=160284947222088&w=2
> >
> > Just for clarity:
> >
> > I mean more luck than me in getting the diff commited...
> >
> > Xenodm will work without any problem after that.
> >
> > The only thing is that the mouse and keyboard has to been plugged before
> > xenodm starts. After that you can unplugg and plug it again without
> > problems. I suppose this is an issue with ws(4), I've not looked
> > at it. The same on arm64.
>
> Not all developers read arm@.  I've tweaked your diff a bit and sent
> it to tech@ instead.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mark

Thanks,
adr.

Re: Edit /etc/boot.conf

Sagar Acharya
Thanks a lot mark, that did it. I get to the installation prompt. Now facing the trivial problem of serving the files bsd, base68 and so on.
--
Sagar Acharya

6 दिस॰ 2020, 01:50 द्वारा [hidden email]: