EU anoncvs rsync mirror not updating

Andreas Kusalananda Kähäri-4
Hi,

The mirror status page at [1] says that the rsync mirror at
ftp.eu.openbsd.org::OpenBSD is up to date as usual.  This is good
and I can get my snapshots from there with no issues.  However, the
rsync://anoncvs.eu.openbsd.org/OpenBSD-cvs bit of what I *assume* is the
same server is out of date since some days ago

$ rsync rsync://anoncvs.eu.openbsd.org/OpenBSD-cvs/CVSROOT/ChangeLog
-rw-r--r--      4,354,808 2019/02/05 17:10:05 ChangeLog

$ date
Fri Feb  8 11:11:07 CET 2019

It usually updates with the same frequency as the snapshot mirror.  I
think there has been some cvsync issues on that mirror in the past too,
and this may be another one.

[1] https://spacehopper.org/mirmon/

--
Andreas Kusalananda Kähäri,
National Bioinformatics Infrastructure Sweden (NBIS),
Uppsala University, Sweden.

Re: EU anoncvs rsync mirror not updating

On Fri, Feb 08, 2019 at 11:14:50AM +0100, Andreas Kusalananda Kähäri wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The mirror status page at [1] says that the rsync mirror at
> ftp.eu.openbsd.org::OpenBSD is up to date as usual.  This is good
> and I can get my snapshots from there with no issues.  However, the
> rsync://anoncvs.eu.openbsd.org/OpenBSD-cvs bit of what I *assume* is the
> same server is out of date since some days ago
>
> $ rsync rsync://anoncvs.eu.openbsd.org/OpenBSD-cvs/CVSROOT/ChangeLog
> -rw-r--r--      4,354,808 2019/02/05 17:10:05 ChangeLog
>
> $ date
> Fri Feb  8 11:11:07 CET 2019
>

> It usually updates with the same frequency as the snapshot mirror.  I
> think there has been some cvsync issues on that mirror in the past too,
> and this may be another one.
>

> [1] https://spacehopper.org/mirmon/

It seems to possibly have sorted itself out now.

Thanks.

--
Andreas Kusalananda Kähäri,
National Bioinformatics Infrastructure Sweden (NBIS),
Uppsala University, Sweden.

Re: EU anoncvs rsync mirror not updating

Mihai Popescu-3
A few days ago I intalled a snaphot not in sync base/ports.
Yesterday I was very happy to see ftp.openbsd.org has a new set of
packages compiled, but since that server is far away I waited for EU
servers to mirror the sets.
The very first one to start the mirroring was ftp2.eu.openbsd.org, but
for some reason, he was stuck in the middle - exactly at package
logstash-x.x.x. After some time, other EU mirrors started to update,
but to my surprise, they remained stuck at the same package. No matter
what, none was able to do some progress. I canceled my waiting and
went to bed, just to install today when all were updated.

I am not sure how this is working, but I think one is pulling files
from Canada for Europe, then all other are using this one to update
themselves.
Anyway, there is no hurry, so many thanks to people providing us with
the files and mirrors.

Since we are at this subject, is there a way to check that base and
ports are in sync?

Re: EU anoncvs rsync mirror not updating

Stuart Henderson
On 2019-02-08, Mihai Popescu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> A few days ago I intalled a snaphot not in sync base/ports.
> Yesterday I was very happy to see ftp.openbsd.org has a new set of
> packages compiled, but since that server is far away I waited for EU
> servers to mirror the sets.
> The very first one to start the mirroring was ftp2.eu.openbsd.org, but
> for some reason, he was stuck in the middle - exactly at package
> logstash-x.x.x. After some time, other EU mirrors started to update,
> but to my surprise, they remained stuck at the same package. No matter
> what, none was able to do some progress. I canceled my waiting and
> went to bed, just to install today when all were updated.

When this happens usually the fanout server manages to get half a
directory of packages from one build, half from another build. So all the
public mirrors end up with the same split of files.

(Users of the CDNs have an extra challenge here because different
files, even including the directory index, can be cached from different
builds - so it's hard to even check that they're in a sane state to
update from - this is why I recommend people use a decent localish
mirror rather than CDN for snapshot packages.)

> I am not sure how this is working, but I think one is pulling files
> from Canada for Europe, then all other are using this one to update
> themselves.

build -> signing -> master --> fanout -> second-level-mirrors -> others
|                    |  |        | |              |   |              |
`------fast net------'  `-medium-' `----slow------'   `---medium-----'

> Anyway, there is no hurry, so many thanks to people providing us with
> the files and mirrors.
>
> Since we are at this subject, is there a way to check that base and
> ports are in sync?

Not exactly. You could pick a few packages that depend on an
assortment of libraries in base, fetch the packing-list -

PKG_DBDIR=/var/empty pkg_info -f chromium curl | grep @wantlib | sort -u

and check by hand or script something to check that they're in sync,
but it's not really user friendly ..

You could do pkg_add -u -n and watch for breakages, but it won't be
especially quick.