Down on em fibre doesn't kill Layer 1 ?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Down on em fibre doesn't kill Layer 1 ?

Rachel Roch
Hi,

Is it expected behaviour that ifconfig emX down on a fibre interface doesn't kill the laser on a GBIC ?

Rachel

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Down on em fibre doesn't kill Layer 1 ?

Stuart Henderson
On 2019-04-16, Rachel Roch <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is it expected behaviour that ifconfig emX down on a fibre interface doesn't kill the laser on a GBIC ?

Since ifconfig down doesn't kill link on a copper em(4), I would think it
is expected from a fibre one too.


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Down on em fibre doesn't kill Layer 1 ?

Rachel Roch

Apr 18, 2019, 10:41 AM by [hidden email]:

> On 2019-04-16, Rachel Roch <> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> > wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is it expected behaviour that ifconfig emX down on a fibre interface doesn't kill the laser on a GBIC ?
>>
>
> Since ifconfig down doesn't kill link on a copper em(4), I would think it
> is expected from a fibre one too.
>


Would it be too much to ask to get this functionality implemented ?

I was dealing with a carrier the other day and we were dealing with bringing up two ports on their network.

The question came from the remote end "have you shutdown the port as its still showing up on my side", and indeed on the OpenBSD side carrier state was still "active".

It seems to be the expected behaviour that when you put a port into "administrative down" mode that it kills the carrier too  (indeed, I witnessed this for myself, because the carrier downed their side for me instead as I was unable to and I saw the carrier drop on OpenBSD).

Thanks !


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Down on em fibre doesn't kill Layer 1 ?

Mihai Popescu-3
In reply to this post by Rachel Roch
> Would it be too much to ask to get this functionality implemented ?

Find an Intel support email and go ahead. They will tell you if it is too much.
Assuming there is possible to switch off the laser diode ...

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Down on em fibre doesn't kill Layer 1 ?

Chris Cappuccio
In reply to this post by Rachel Roch
Rachel Roch [[hidden email]] wrote:
>
> Would it be too much to ask to get this functionality implemented ?
>

No as long as you are asking yourself... Or perhaps, if you are willing to
pay someone else!

> I was dealing with a carrier the other day and we were dealing with bringing up two ports on their network.
>
> The question came from the remote end "have you shutdown the port as its still showing up on my side", and indeed on the OpenBSD side carrier state was still "active".
>

This is understandable.

I don't think it would be hard to control the phy to turn the link down. Some
drivers do it, some don't. The only thing that makes it hard is a lack of
documentation in some cases...

Chris